Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Returns

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 21:23

Disliked the schoolbus yellow of Stella d'Oro, so got the lemon yellow Happy Returns. Re-bloom is weak, on shorter stems down in foliage. Still quite acceptable to me. But each year, for the last 4, they have gotten lots of brown and yellow leaves, among the green, as July become August. Underground soaker hose does not seem to help. May be typical of Happy Returns, and is for me, here.
Tempted to cut them to ground, now, as green leaves would look so much better, if they came. About half the leaves are partially or totally yellow and brown.
They come back beautifully, each Spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Returns

Mine had ugly leaves too. If you have the energy you can just cut off the ugly ones. There are many other yellows that do really well that have green leaves so you may want to replace it with something else.

o

Many of my daylilies get yellow and brown leaves in August..
And yes Happy Returns is reblooming in the foliage, very short scapes :(

o

I'm on the fence with my Happy Returns also. Spring is good but rebloom at my house is like yours , meager and in the foliage. I keep thinking about what I could replace them with. I bet mine will be gone by next year.

Sherry

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 17:54

I've had mine 20 years or more. It asks little of me which is a good thing because I have a tendency to take it for granted. It has dead foliage as we speak and I keep meaning to go out there and clean it up. Just pulling slightly on the bottom leaves is all you really need to do. If they are dead they will easily come off in your hands. Mine is blooming again too. It's the only daylily that rebloomed this year so I don't begrudge its reduced height. Still a sunny yellow bloom in the garden.......Maryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here