Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catch up Features New Additions

Posted by hostabuff Zone 6a MA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 21:25

I've been very remiss about posting any pictures this year. I thought this would be a great opportunity to just post my new additions acquired late last year and this spring.

Spacecoast Seashells
Spacecast Seasells photo SpacecoastSeashells.jpg

Rose F Kennedy
Rose F Kennedy photo RoseFKennedy.jpg

Violet Sebrewing - this is one of my favorite color combinations.
Violet Sebrewing photo VioletSebrewing.jpg

Lost in the Toy Store
Lost in the Toy Store photo LostintheToyStore.jpg

Rose Destiny
Rose Destiny photo RoseDestiny-1.jpg

Prince of Darkness
Prince of Darkness photo PrinceofDarkness.jpg

Parrot Jungle - very exciting to see my first blooms. I was not that hopefull because the person I purchased it from said it did not grow well. They sold me whatever they had left. My first bloom was beautiful and then some deer came along and ate all the buds!
Parrot Junle photo ParrotJungle.jpg

No Boys Allowed (FFO) - Additional blooms have been fantastic!
No Boys Alowed photo NoBoysAllowed.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catch up Features New Additions

Beautiful additions! Looove RFK! It's my number one on the 'would like to get sometimes' list. I also like the colors of Violet Sabrewing. And the hosta to the right of it.
Sorry about Parrot Jungle.. At least you got to see its first bloom.

o

sure got some pretty ones, Love LOST IN THE TOY STORE,and ROSE F. KENNEDY, too.

jean

o

How does Rose Destiny grow for you? Certainly is an alluring picture, but the Angels' Smile progeny are not always vigorous.

o

Great additions! How are you able to grow so many daylilies among your hostas? Did you find hostas that are more tolerant of sun?

I also like Violet Sabrewing with the bright green of the hostas. Is the hosta to the right Stained Glass? I have some like it and can't remember the names.

o

Thank you for the feedback.
Mantis - Rose Destiny was a gift plant and this is my first year growing it. I will have to give it another year to see if it will perform.
Maximus - I am growing daylilies among the majority of my hosta - sometimes not so successfully. In fact, my project for today is to remove some daylilies that I'm not crazy about and move some of the non bloomers to new locations. I am growing hosta in way more sun than the average hosta grower - pushing the limits...lol. Many, many hosta have no problem with sun and actually perform much better. The hosta to the right of Violet Sebrewing are Rascal (top) and September Sun.

o

Here's a Hosta growing in "full" sun all day with Daylily Incendiary busting out behind it.

Final Summation (an offspring of Sum & Substance)
 photo 085.jpg

o

I love that last shot. The stone wall is perfect and would make any garden look better! I wish I had more hardscaping rather than just beds of daylilies. My front yard gets almost full shade from a giant oak, so I've tried to create a huge swath of hostas rather than try to grow grass. It has taken forever for the hostas to really take off. Maybe some of them prefer a little sun, like you suggested.

Chris

o

Chris, I will share your nice comment on the stonewall with my husband. He built that wall to stop me from encroaching on his Salsa garden - marking his territory. The funny thing is that he had to grass over the veggie garden this year so that we would have enough room to seat guests for my daughters wedding.

My first hosta garden was in my front yard too because I had a huge elm tree. Hosta do grow slower in the shade, however the more lanky open style and darker colors are very beautiful. I lost that elm last summer....
Robyn

o

Hostabuff your garden is so beautiful! Love this view! Spectacular! I think it's my favorite garden shot of the year :)
My Sum and Substance burns in what little sun it gets. I don't have room for daylilies any more :(((( But have a few spots for hostas! Now.. to choose what I want and can afford :) I'd like to replace Fire and Ice that died over this winter.

o

They are all very nice! My favorite is Violet Sebrewing
Brad

o

Violet Sabrewing is my top favorite. Great color combination! I've been bidding on that one without success for years.

Debra

o

Violet Sebrewing is gorgeous and so is RFK. It should increase well. I need to move my Parrot Jungle. I really like it, but Mr. Trimmer told me it was really designed for breeders, not display, but it's a beauty to me. Your garden is beautiful the rocks and plants look gorgeous together. And, that is a beautiful bloom of Rose Destiny.
kay

This post was edited by organic_kitten on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here