Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21887604

Catch up Features New Additions

User
9 years ago

I've been very remiss about posting any pictures this year. I thought this would be a great opportunity to just post my new additions acquired late last year and this spring.

Spacecoast Seashells

Rose F Kennedy

Violet Sebrewing - this is one of my favorite color combinations.

Lost in the Toy Store

Rose Destiny

Prince of Darkness

Parrot Jungle - very exciting to see my first blooms. I was not that hopefull because the person I purchased it from said it did not grow well. They sold me whatever they had left. My first bloom was beautiful and then some deer came along and ate all the buds!

No Boys Allowed (FFO) - Additional blooms have been fantastic!

Comments (12)

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Beautiful additions! Looove RFK! It's my number one on the 'would like to get sometimes' list. I also like the colors of Violet Sabrewing. And the hosta to the right of it.
    Sorry about Parrot Jungle.. At least you got to see its first bloom.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

sure got some pretty ones, Love LOST IN THE TOY STORE,and ROSE F. KENNEDY, too.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

How does Rose Destiny grow for you? Certainly is an alluring picture, but the Angels' Smile progeny are not always vigorous.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Great additions! How are you able to grow so many daylilies among your hostas? Did you find hostas that are more tolerant of sun?

I also like Violet Sabrewing with the bright green of the hostas. Is the hosta to the right Stained Glass? I have some like it and can't remember the names.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback.
    Mantis - Rose Destiny was a gift plant and this is my first year growing it. I will have to give it another year to see if it will perform.
    Maximus - I am growing daylilies among the majority of my hosta - sometimes not so successfully. In fact, my project for today is to remove some daylilies that I'm not crazy about and move some of the non bloomers to new locations. I am growing hosta in way more sun than the average hosta grower - pushing the limits...lol. Many, many hosta have no problem with sun and actually perform much better. The hosta to the right of Violet Sebrewing are Rascal (top) and September Sun.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a Hosta growing in "full" sun all day with Daylily Incendiary busting out behind it.

Final Summation (an offspring of Sum & Substance)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I love that last shot. The stone wall is perfect and would make any garden look better! I wish I had more hardscaping rather than just beds of daylilies. My front yard gets almost full shade from a giant oak, so I've tried to create a huge swath of hostas rather than try to grow grass. It has taken forever for the hostas to really take off. Maybe some of them prefer a little sun, like you suggested.

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris, I will share your nice comment on the stonewall with my husband. He built that wall to stop me from encroaching on his Salsa garden - marking his territory. The funny thing is that he had to grass over the veggie garden this year so that we would have enough room to seat guests for my daughters wedding.

My first hosta garden was in my front yard too because I had a huge elm tree. Hosta do grow slower in the shade, however the more lanky open style and darker colors are very beautiful. I lost that elm last summer....
    Robyn

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Hostabuff your garden is so beautiful! Love this view! Spectacular! I think it's my favorite garden shot of the year :)
    My Sum and Substance burns in what little sun it gets. I don't have room for daylilies any more :(((( But have a few spots for hostas! Now.. to choose what I want and can afford :) I'd like to replace Fire and Ice that died over this winter.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

They are all very nice! My favorite is Violet Sebrewing
    Brad

• shive
    9 years ago

Violet Sabrewing is my top favorite. Great color combination! I've been bidding on that one without success for years.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Violet Sebrewing is gorgeous and so is RFK. It should increase well. I need to move my Parrot Jungle. I really like it, but Mr. Trimmer told me it was really designed for breeders, not display, but it's a beauty to me. Your garden is beautiful the rocks and plants look gorgeous together. And, that is a beautiful bloom of Rose Destiny.
    kay

This post was edited by organic_kitten on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:45