Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's blooms from this week

shive
9 years ago

This has been a week of last flowers and reblooms starting.

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM, one of my favorite purples, started reblooming this week. This is an evening shot. It was darker in color earlier in the day.

QUEEN OF NARNIA had its last blooms this week. The Queen really impressed me this season, blooming beautifully for 49 continuous days. This one is always open flat at first light, evening when nightes are in the 50s.

Late bloomers FINAL TOUCH and AUGUST CHERRY provided some color along the back fence.

SUGAR MAGNOLIA was my favorite UF this season. It has nice form, nice foliage and has bloomed for about five weeks, even though bud counts ranged from 12-15.

My Blazing Saddles seedling put up a late scape that started blooming this week.

SHELBY's last flower was yesterday. This cultivar has had a very nice run this year and some scapes did a bit of bud building.

TNT's last flower - not a good season for this one. It only bloomed for three weeks.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS still has quite a few buds left on two of the scapes.

Debra

Comments (16)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM, is a pretty one, I love the edge on it.I always love to see QUEEN OF NARNIA. it looks perfect every time.FINAL TOUCH is gorgeous, too. I still have the same 3 blooming 2 or 3 blooms each day.
    BEAUTIFUL EDGING only has about 5 buds left, so it will soon stop, tooI think MARIETTA SURPRISE has about the same number of buds left too.always hate to see that last bloom.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean - I finally have two rebloom scapes coming on Wonder of It All!!! There were three, but something (probably with whiskers) broke one of them.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

The one that impresses me most is your Blazing Saddles seedling. Have you posted that one before? It's absolutely beautiful. Sugar Magnolia is one I keep forgetting about until you post photos of it. Shelby is already on my list and your photo is terrific.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Jeanne looks amazing, especially since that is an afternoon photo, really impressive. Love you Blazing Saddles seedling.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oH WOW!!!!!! Debra. I read that you have rebloom scapes coming on Wonder of it all, and I jumped up and went out and checked mine really good, hoping I might have at least one rebloom scape, but, no,I not as lucky as you and didn't find a single one.:( I really miss its blooms, too.)and its such long time to wait till next season to see blooms again.I do love that daylily.. but,, one of my daughter gave me a picture frame last Christmas, that I can take a memory card from my camera and put it in this frame, and it shows me a slide show of all my blooms,over and over, and the memory card from last years picture taking is in it.I never turn it off so it shows all my photos from last year.and I have a lot of pictures of Wonder of it All.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris - The Blazing Saddles seedling has been blooming for three seasons. It has a pretty face and 7.5 inch blooms, but the scapes are kind of wimpy and only 28 inches tall. So far bud count ranges from 4-8. I moved it last year to a place where it got more sun, but then the neighbor's trees grew taller and wider, so now it gets too much shade again. I also repeated the cross, hoping to get a plant with thicker, taller scapes and better bud count, but the seedlings all died over the winter. Also, I have crossed it with both of my Sun Bear X Julie Newmar seedlings. I plant to move it one more time. But next season is its last chance to improve its stats.

Nancy - Thanks for your comments!

Jean - Those picture frames are so neat. It's nice that you can enjoy your flower photos like that. Don't give up on rebloom for Wonder of It All. I didn't think I was going to get any either, and then - boom - up came those scapes when I least expected it.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Still a bunch of pretty ones. Shelby is my favorite. I really enjoyed that one its' first season. I like your Blazing Saddles seedling too, and Jeanne Deaver's Dream is a real beauty. It is always a little sad to see the season end, isn't it?

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kay - It is sad to see the end. Today there was very little blooming. But my summer break is over now, and I don't have time to enjoy the blooms any more. I'll have to remind myself not to miss the rebloom flowers. Shelby was really a delight this season. I wasn't impressed with it at all the first season. Last season it showed some potential, and this year the clump just drew my attention every day.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

We Are the Champions has been very good here. Sturdy scapes and well budded. Some mornings a bit slow in opening, but not a major problem. Huge flower.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM is very pretty. I remember wanting to buy that one when it was first introduced, Seeing your pic makes me wish I had followed through and bought it.
    I hope your seedling stats improve. It's hard to cull one that looks that pretty.

Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS has a nice color combination. I have to go look up SUGAR MAGNOLIA. Lovely soft colors.

You really have had a long run with your garden this year. All of the pics are wonderful.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda - It's hard for me to cull seedlings, and I keep hoping that seedling will shape up. I have used it as it as a bridge plant. That is probably where its value lies.

Julia - We Are the Champions has put a very nice, long show this season. It just gets better with age. Sugar Magnolia's blooms are huge with good form. My season has been longer than usual, thanks to the many late bloomers I have and rebloomers.

Debra

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms!

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I keep looking to see if my wonder of it all will have a rebloom scape, but, nothing yet.IT had 8 last year with about 8 to 10 buds on each one. well, on each branch.I think each scape had 3 branches with the 8 to 10 buds on each one. I did find a rebloom scape on BEAUTIFUL EDGING TODAY, already about 18inches tall, but, only seen 6 or 7 buds on it.last year it had 7 rebloom scapes on it.

jean

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

You may not have been inspired by your Shelby last year, but your photo of it was so beautiful that it made me really want it. I have enjoyed mine immensely this year, so thank you for the inspiration....and the enabling.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean - Did you get rain this week. That might help Wonder of It All push up some rebloom scapes.

Kay - I'm glad Shelby did well for you this year. It took awhile to settle in and perform well here, in comparison to the others I got from Woodhenge three falls ago.

Debra

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm