Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to the Daylily Scene

Posted by Dogg1967 4b Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 22:30

So, I have a pretty small clump of simple yellow daylilies I inherited when we bought the house. They were located in a front foundation planting and easy pickings for the neighbourhood deer. I moved them to the backyard this past spring in a sort of out of the way location and they bloomed profusely amazingly avoiding any deer attraction whatsoever.

Well, this made me think that just maybe I could fill this small area with more daylilies... Well lo and behold, I'm driving through town and I see a sign offering dayliles at $5. It's an elderly couple both in their eighties with a garden to die for, with a massive planting of various daylilies. I need to go back and take some photos. Anyways, I buy 2 bunches and plant them in my (hopefully) hidden refuge with that small yellow clump.

Here's pics of the two I picked up. I'm tempted to go get a couple more. I imagine an ID is pretty much out of the question, but if you have some guesses, I'd be happy to hear from you:

Daylily 1 photo Daylily1.jpg

Daylily 2 photo Daylily2.jpg

Oh for extra protection, I sprayed them with Deer-B-Gon.
Any other advice is welcome in terms of their care. The soil is pretty sandy, but I've been amending it with black earth, potting soil, compost, etc. Finally, I've been amazed at some of your stunning photos... please excuse my poor photography skills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to the Daylily Scene

Yay! Welcome to the daylily world :)
Good picks I especially like the second one. How nice that you just thought of adding more and found that sale. Do they have any named ones? I started with a bunch of unnamed (with a few named ones). No idea about ID btw.
Somebody else will give better advice on care because I am bad to my pretties - water only occasionally, rely on rain, fertilize once a year, they don't get full sun etc. My only advice will be if you get more don't plant them too close to each other :) Maybe put some kind of fencing around them so deer can't eat the buds, if they can get into your backyard. They ate every.. single.. bud this year in my SIL's garden :(

o

I don't have any guesses for you, but the second one looks like it has a nice watermark. Nice choices!

o

Ah yes. I started out that way, but her charged $7 for a start. Welcome to the addiction. Nice blooms.
kay

o

Thanks for the comments... they survived a couple nights now in terms of deer attacks. Guess the Deer-B-Gon is working. Interestingly though, I had something eating a datura seed pod. Whatever it is will be flying high :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here