Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

A few blooms from this year

Nancy
9 years ago

I haven't taken a lot of pictures this year, but thought I would share a few. Assuming I can still use Photobucket
Border Crossing

Casper's Shadow has been really good this year, maybe not a huge bud count, but it rebloomed nicely & is starting to be a nice clump.

Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt really looked more blue than ever before

Smoky Mountain Autumn, I almost lost it from crown rot just a couple of years ago. I only had 1 fan left so I moved it to a bed where I could keep a close watch on it. It is recovering well!

Kansas Kitten, I didn't take time to take pictures of the better flowers on this one. I don't think this one bloomed last year but I really enjoyed it this year.

Thought I would end with a couple of pictures of my kittens, Saffron & Mocha. I divided a lot of my iris this summer & they love to play among them. I'm having a hard time keeping the iris in the ground, constantly finding a rhizome pulled up from the kittens romping.

Comments (15)

• statmam
    9 years ago

Love the detail on your WEEH photo. Beautiful eye with the mascara edge. And Caspar's Shadow is its inverse. Are they planted near each other? They look nice together.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Nice! Smoky Mountain Autumn is my favorite, looks like it's doing well! I also like W. Easter Egg Hunt.
    But OMG kitties!!! Cute overload :) Love the tree pics and how ginger one is hugging the black.

• shive
    9 years ago

Pretty daylilies, but the kittens steal the show!

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Great pictures, Nancy! Beautiful daylilies and your kittens are adorable.

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

Yay! There's the kitties and they are so cute! So glad you posted them. I want to scoop them up and love them, they are so adorable. I love black and ginger kittens. What fun to have kittens, even though they are being a little naughty in the iris bed. My favorite of your daylilies is Border Crossing....and I can't wait to see it in my garden!

Celeste

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

They are all pretty. My husband likes our Smoky Mountain Autumn so it will probably always be with us. After all he is my chief gardener. I always liked having outside cats but we have too many coyotes around and I don't like losing our little buddies to them. A coyote was close to our house last night.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Darling kitties. How does the Westbourne grow for you? I know a few years ago, GW members were enchanted with Westbourne cultivars, but then a few people from colder zones noted that they weren't doing well.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

Border Crossing, and Casper's Shadow are really beautiful! Your kittens are just way too cute. Mine are always hunting bugs in the garden, but thankfully they haven't wrecked too many of my daylilies.

Linda

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Love all of the pics, cant pick a favorite! You have some very handsome furry babies!

Sherry

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

great pictures Thanks for sharing
    love the kitties too

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

aww nancy, the daylilies are so pretty and so nice to see some photos of your beauties.I just love BORDER CROSSING. very pretty, and I think this is the first time I have seen CASPER'S SHADOW and it certainly is a pretty one.I have always like SMOKY MOUNTAIN AUTUMN.always a beauty.. The kitties are adorable,I really like the orangey tabby colored one.Seems like every cat and kitten that comes here, starving and looking for some food, is always black.I been feeding a little black kitten too, then its mother showed up beggin for some food, too, but shes a grey tabby, then a couple days ago, a black tom cat came looking for food also.

jean

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the comments everyone! Casper's Shadow & W. Easter egg Hunt aren't planted side by side, but on opposite sides of a sidewalk. They might make more of an effect if they were next to each other though.
    I am sure you will love Border Crossing Celeste, it is really a nice color & blooms so well. And I often can't keep from scooping up the kittens & snuggle them. Supposedly they were feral kittens when they were trapped & brought in, but I don't believe it for a second. They had only been at the shelter for a day, but they purred & purred when you picked them up. They both would immediately roll on to their back for a belly rub. They were siblings so I adopted them together. They are getting a little more independent of each other, but still don't like to be apart very long.
    jkade, we've had coyotes here, but I haven't seen or heard them for the last couple of years. They never came close to the house even then. The kittens only stay outside when we are at home, they come in at night or when we leave for a while.
    Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt does really great here. Not a tall daylily, but the flowers are well above the foliate, always open nicely, good bud count & has rebloomed each year. Multiplied pretty well, and a nice sturdy plant. It made it though our record cold winter last year without a problem, which I can't say for a lot of my daylilies.
    Jean, I haven't seen Casper's Shadow much either, but it really is a good grower, pretty tall too if one likes the taller ones. It is listed at 26", more like 36" I think. I'm particularly fond of the ginger tabby too, he is so affectionate. The black kitten is more withdrawn, affectionate, but doesn't get TOO aftectionate, so you don't get too confident of her :) We never get strays here, which is a good thing because I couldn't resist them.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I like Smokey Mountain Autumn too. Very pretty. the kittens are adorable. Love them together and separately. Yeah, I can't resist them ether...kittens or cats.
    kay

• User
    9 years ago

The kittens are so sweet. Thanks for sharing their pictures. I really like Kansas Kitten. Your bloom looks a lot better than the KK blooms in my garden....

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Kittens keep us young and on our toes. They also remind me to laugh more often. Yours are cuties........Smoky Mountain Autumn is my favorite daylily of this group. I lost mine this year to our severe winter. It was one of my oldest daylilies and a pot it was always having rot problems. Winter finally did it in though. A good bud builder. Don't take off the spent scapes too quickly is what I found out the hard way.....Maryl