Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21887604

Catch Up - V

User
9 years ago

Things are winding down a little. Here's some old favorites and some few new additions to the garden.

Norman S. Track - a great late performer. Found a polly today!

Tahiti Sweetie - Just purchased this year and the blooms are not quite where I believe they will be next year. They also may look darker than other pictures I have seen - perhaps because it has been a cooler summer.

Natures Showman - a nice gift plant

Carnival in Mexico - looks a little more orangy in person than the picture.

Dick Ward - can't help but share another favorite hosta that is growing in full sun.

Here's a view of my Siren's Song garden. The name is inspired by the planter in the center - a woman's head with a ring of shells. Sedums are a great option for this planter because they require next to no care - I never remember to water this planter.

Comments (8)

• pumpingiron
    9 years ago

I just rediscovered this site. I have been away for a number of years. Would love to make some trades for some of your hostas or to have a list of your top favorites. I have numerous daylilies and iris. I have limited resources in my neck of the woods to purchase anything unusual. I also have some mini hens and chicks perfect for fairy gardens. Have not seen any over an inch in diameter. Love your yard. My hubby cooks, gardens and dabbles in iron and concrete work. So life is good. Lol

Shelley

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Your Hosta garden is so will laid out. The Siren's Head adds a bit of whimsy to it. Since I have so little shade, I haven't investigated Hostas much, but I know yours are sure pretty....I like that gift daylily too. Sometimes you get some neat daylilies......Maryl

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Beautiful daylilies and I love your Siren Song garden, thanks for sharing your pictures!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

The garden pics especially are lovely.
    kay

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I love the garden shot with the hostas, and love the looks of Dick Ward. I grow Tahiti Sweetie, and it took a few years to settle in but is doing nicely now. The blooms are definitely darker and more red in cooler temps, like we've been having all year here.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Check out Norman S Track - I just realized it is a pentamerous poly bloom or 5x5 with five sets of tepals and 10 stamen. I never realized that a polly included more stamen too. .

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Would enjoy more of your garden pics. Statuary is especially effective in a hosta garden. The lavender flowers that you dislike look good on that green hosta to the right. Care to name some of the hostas? How would you describe the color on Norman S. Track? It looks quite burgundy. Or wine?

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 6:47

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the comments.
    Norman S. Track is a great performer and is consistently burgundy with a blue halo - regardless of the temperature.

I can name a couple of the hosta:
    The large to the right of the statue is "Inspire Greatness". I love the white tipping on the leaf. It is the large blue centered in this picture:

Another fun smaller hosta to the left of the statue is "Wheee". People comment on it whenever they visit. This closeup picture explains the name:

Wheee is a great addition to a flower arrangement too. For my daughters wedding, the florist used hosta and Japanese Forest Grass from my gardens.