Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opnjmprs

Loving the blooms that remain

opnjmprs
9 years ago

At this point I have more seed pods than blooms, so I'm really appreciating the blooms that remain.

Katherine Marin is a late bloomer here. and like the little girl with the curl.....she is either very very good, or not. I love her anyway.

Butch and Barbara's Cracked Eggs continues to amaze with it's ability to open on cool mornings.

Heartbeat Of Heaven is always impressive and extremely pod fertile.

Open Season impressed me with it's color and edge, and it was new to the garden this year.

A couple late seedlings

Linda

Comments (11)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow, I can not pick me a favorite out of these as they are all beautiful. and them seedlings are gorgeous, too.I am injoying every ones beauties now as I have none blooming, just 2 blooming now with just one bloom a day, but,I think they have one bud left.
    except for Beautiful edging and I found a rebloom scape on it, but only about 6 buds on it.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

How is Open Season in regard to splotchiness? When Katherine Marin is not good, she...doesn't open well? Your Heartbeat of Heaven looks great, as do your seedlings.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

You know I like Cracked Eggs and it continues to impress, but your seedlings steal the show.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Now it is just cruel to talk about cool mornings when it might be October before we have that luxury. but that is a very important trait, isn't it? They are all pretty, but Open Season and your first seedling are my favorites.
    kay

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis, Open Season just started blooming 5 days ago. The first flower open looked fine with no splotchiness. The 2nd opened on a rainy day and looked awful, and yesterday's bloom was a little splotched. Being as the plant hasn't been here for all that long, I really don't feel I can predictl whether it will continue to have that problem or not.

I only have 2 registered plants in the garden that are late bloomers. One is Benz "Ultimate Weapon", and the other is Katherine Marin. If temperatures are on the warm side in August, Katherine Marin is absolutely breathtaking. If the weather is on the cool side, it will tend to hang up badly, and add to that this plant has a tendency to want to double on occasion. When that happens it looks really bad. Most years it has looked good. This year not so good.

Linda

• shive
    9 years ago

Your two late seedlings look very nice! I especially like Katherine Marin.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

All very pretty but I love your seedlings best! I have quite a collection of late-bloomers because I feel so sad when the blooms wind down and I think you hit the jackpot with those seedlings. Not only are they pretty, but being late as well makes them even more desirable.

Celeste

• nat4b
    9 years ago

They are all beautiful! Can't pick a favorite. So impressed with BABCE opening so well.
    I also wanted to mentioned that I tried pollinating Red Friday this year (after seeing your seedlings :)) and she set pods! But.. now I see they are not growing, and some are drying out already. But I also put its pollen on many other things :)

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

Linda that last seedling is gorgeous, the other one is nice too but that last one is awesome.

And I love the colors on KATHERINE MARIN. I bought WHITE BASE
    because I love the that color combo. And indeed the colors are snow white and a clear beautiful pink. But 2 years here and the bud count is low and the fans are relatively small. & no rebloom... And an ideal summer for daylilies this year I'd think. Tons of rain and really warm but not hot enough for the foliage to wilt, not even once. Hard to make some happy.

Rena'

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rena', Your White Base is doing better than mine. Mine has 5-6 fans, and it didn't put up a scape this year, along with a half dozen other daylilies that decided to go on vacation as well. Plants all look healthy, but no scapes

nat4b, Congrats on the Red Friday pods. I can't wait to see what you get from those crosses. I have 4 nice size pods on my Red Friday right now, and have no clue who the pollen parent or parents are. I was so sure that it wouldn't set pods that I didn't bother to tag the crosses. lol

Linda

• hostabff
    9 years ago

I love them all too. The ruffles on your pink seedline are fantastic!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz