Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleome24

Late blooming daylilies

cleome24
17 years ago

Hi, I am looking for some late blooming (late August/Sept)daylilies to add to my collection. Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments (18)

• numama
    17 years ago

Welcome to the DL forum Cleome! I had to click on your my page to see if you listed where you are.
    You probably won't get many suggestions unless you fess up what growing zone your in. My latest bloomers here in zone 7...Northwest Arkansas, have been David Kirchhoff, Spacecoast Passion Released...both had last flower closed today.
    Nancy

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

If you're as far north as I am (southern Michigan), good late bloomers are:
    FINAL TOUCH
    FUCHSIA DREAM
    NEWBERRY BARRY BENNETT
    VERA BIAGLOW
    FLIRTATION INFATUATION
    GRAND AMAZON
    PINK COTTON CANDY
    RUFFLES ELEGANT
    SUSAN WEBER
    TAUDY
    TUXEDO MOON

Chris

• shive
    17 years ago

Two lates that are still going for me when everything else is done are ROYAL JESTER and NORTH WIND DANCER.

Debra in Nashville, TN

• tjhemmer
    17 years ago

I still have blooms (Original blooms, not reblooms) on:

Star Struck
    Jedi Codie Wedgeworth
    Harvest Hue
    Stoplight
    Charming Ethel Smith
    Look Here Mary
    Scatterbrain

I'm in Zone 6a.

Tom

• phaltyme21
    17 years ago

I've got quite a few--I'm in southeastern Michigan.
    Emperor's Choice
    El Desperado
    Red Reward
    Pardon Me
    Siloam Double Classic (still loaded with buds)
    After All (just starting)
    Autumn Sun
    Indian Paint Brush
    Passion District
    Renegade Ranger
    Fellow
    Wilson's Spider
    Tetrina's Daughter (at least until late Sept.)
    Blackjack Cherry
    Halls
    There may be more, just the ones I can think of right
    now. Actually, I checked the other day as I was noticing quite a few bare scapes and starting to feel sad. The number of buds I was seeing changed that.

Kay

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Hello Cleome24: Welcome to the forum! I see you are brand new (to us).

Do you belong to the AHS Robin? There has been discussion with suggestions on late daylilies just recently. If you are an AHS member, I think you can research the archives, too.

What zone are you? Do you have some daylily farms near you? If we have an idea, someone might suggest somewhere and that's the best way to see what blooms late where you are.

• vegangirl
    17 years ago

In zone 6 VA mts, my latest bloomers are
    Penny Arcade (1st bloom opened July 22)
    West Hampton (July 21)
    Feather Down (July 26)
    Eye of Newt (July 19)
    Prince Michael (July 20)
    I have many, many still blooming but so far these are my latest to start blooming.

I am interested in seeing what shows up on this thread as I am also looking for the latest bloomers.

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Hmmmm. I must have read this wrong. Or, let me put it this way, this is my second year keeping a spreadsheet with ffo open information. I've also added a rebloom category this year.

So, if I read the original question, it was for late Aug/Sept bloomers, which is getting rather late for daylilies in general...but, I guess I'll just have to wait until then and see what's going on!

I'm not sure if what I have blooming now will be blooming then...

I think Olallie Daylily Gardens has some late ones and Darryl Apps' website (Woodsite) has categories you can search by...and one of them is late.

Anyway, just suggestions.

• cnetter
    17 years ago

Catherine Folker is just starting to bloom in my garden. I think this is my last daylily to start blooming. It's a good sized, healthy two year old plant. The flower is large and a soft yellow with a touch of apricot I think.
    {{gwi:650860}}

• vegangirl
    17 years ago

gonegardening,

Yes, I realize that the question was about August/Sept blooming daylilies. My point was that those I listed just started blooming in late July and are continuing to bloom now, in August, and will be blooming for several weeks.

VG

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Oh vegangirl, I didn't mean you or anyone in particular...I was just thinking as I wrote.

I always like looking at lists and particularly late ones as those are some I've tried to add over the last year or so. But, when I reread the original post and looked at what was asked for...it puzzled me, a bit. Most of us don't get a lot of blooms that late (that's really late, even for us in VA).

I think I had China Bride blooming up until frost last year...but it was a bloom here or there.

And, it reminded me of the discussion on the robin as well as on another forum where what designations really mean (EE, E, M, ML, L, VL, etc.)...for instance, starting with the ffo...and how that is different all over. Very interesting and something I hadn't thought about. Especially when daylilies are listed say, as M, and they bloom EE...

But, all that's out the window if the poster is in some hot zone...maybe they bloom (here and there...or big) all year!

Oh yeah...and then there's rebloom. Cameroons Twister has just started its rebloom yesterday. That's pretty late, but I don't know how long it will go on for. We'll see.

Okay, enough from me...off to work.

• rockypug
    17 years ago

Hi All!
    Check out VOTD website. Dan Bachman specializes in hybridizing late bloomers.

Some lates ones for me here in OH are:
    Gothic Window
    {{!gwi}}
    Planet Max
    {{!gwi}}
    Red Pinocchio
    {{!gwi}}

• vegangirl
    17 years ago

gonegardening, OK:-) I like looking at the lists too. I've been wondering how late a daylily would actually begin to bloom here in my garden/zone.

I was looking at a list of late bloomers on the Daylily Place and it said Sandra Elizabeth was the "standard" by which late or very late (I forget which) bloomers are listed by. Does anyone know when it blooms in zone 6, for instance? The list included:
    Johnny Come lately
    Walter Jablonski Memorial
    Bermuda Coral
    Peconic Autumn

I don't know anything about any of them but plan to check them out. I don't think you can really go by the bloom times because Adrienne's Surprise is listed as late but mine started blooming June 26. All these are listed as late or very late. I've included 2006 first blooms:
    Beat The Barons-June 23
    Catherine Neal(VL)--July 9
    Feather Down-July 26
    Missouri Memories--July 2
    West Hampton--July 21

So even though they all have the late designation, there is great variety in bloom times. Millie Schlumpf is making new scapes and a few others.

I'm enjoying all the lovely pictures!
    VG

• leslie197
    17 years ago

I have buds just starting to form on Olallie Mack and Late Calypso. These are listed as VL on Tinkers and do bloom late here. Bought them awhile back from Bloomingfield Farm in Connecticut.

• flowerbrackob
    17 years ago

Rockypug: I tried your "my page" etc. but can't get send an e-mail to respond at all. My query is please use my e-addy
    jaemybrackob@tds.net to tell me what VOTD is. I'm looking
    for late bloomers here too. Everything I read and see here on the Lill's have different names than I've ever seen before.
    Oakes has been a fav. of mine and some Klehm's Song Sparrow
    started me out a few yrs. ago. I'll go to watchdog and see if
    there are links to peruse. I'd appreciate your time a "bunch".
    Jaemy

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I am going to need late bloomers too. I know I have ordered everything from early to midseason but I haven't added any late bloomers that I know of.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I was going to start a post asking for a list of late blomers but found some old ones so am bumping up.

Feel free to add to the lists.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH