Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Those still going and those wrapping it up

celeste/NH
9 years ago

As of September 3rd, these are the daylilies still blooming in my gardens. I will post photos of those still going strong in another post but today I will show the ones which are quietly exiting for the year.

Celeste

STILL BLOOMING THE FIRST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER:

VT Autumn Fires
Luna
Walk in the Clouds
Laura Harwood
Madge Cayse
September Blaze
Fallen Leaves
Pumpkin Time
VT September Star
Autumn Flame
Late Again
Northwind Dancer
Purple Grasshopper
Laughing Lion (rebloom)
Pinhill Claret Symphony
VT Sophie
VT The Last Melon
Chicago Apache
Janice Brown
VT September Rose Rosy
Moonlit Orchid (rebloom)
Moussaka (rebloom)
Forsyth Flying Dragon (rebloom)
Absolute Treasure (rebloom)
Windy Place
The Jury's Out
VT Betsy
VT Cameo Appearance
America's Favorite Fireworks
Desiree
Capacity for Wonder
VT Spun Sugar
VT Bridal Lilac
Olallie Keith
Gingham Maid
Apache War Dance
Westbourne Chip Off the Ol' Block
Fires of Varanasi (rebloom)
Wizard's Heir (rebloom)
VT Fondly Kin
Bridgeton Ivy League
Sombrero Way
Look Here Mary
Lady Neva
Margo Reed Indeed
Ocean Pearl
Frans Hals
Blazing Flame
Persian Ruby

Here are the ones which either had the last flower today, or have only a couple buds remaining:

Westbourne Chip Off the Ol' Block

Blazing Flame

Pilgrim on Earth, all done for the year now

another bloom taken later in the day

Gingham Maid, Huge til the end

Fuchsia Dream, all done

Persian Ruby, still has a few to go

Here is a seedling that starts mid-late and is just finishing up today.

last week....

Today....

My seedling, in full sun....

Random late summer garden pics.....

hardy hibiscus

dwarf Teddy Bear sunflowers

Late Again, will bloom for another week

Liberty Banner, last bloom of the year

Border Blessed, had a random bloom open but it's the last

Purple Grasshopper, ending

Look Here Mary, huge 10" blooms

Northwind Dancer, will last a few more days

Clairvoyant Lady, couple left

Luna

MY NEXT POST WILL FEATURE THE TRULY LATE BLOOMERS WHICH WILL GO FOR AWHILE LONGER. Thanks for looking!

Comments (13)

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for posting these, especially the garden pics. I am so envious of your phlox. It makes me want to try them again. the only daylily I have left blooming is So Lovely.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

You have so much blooming, I know it must be so very impressive in person. The daylilies are all so beautiful, but Gingham Maid must really be stunning to see with blooms that huge. Love your garden shots. Is that blue globe thistle behind the rudbeckia? I have the Arctic glow variety, but not nearly as nice as the blue I think. Love the pic with the sunflower & birdhouse in the background, you should frame that one.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Celeste, love all the pictures again! Great to see what is still blooming for you. My favorites are Northwind Dancer and Liberty Banner. I love the phlox too. Had to move what was left of mine this year, too much shade with the trees getting bigger. The only things blooming in my yard are my Autumn Minarette and my fall blooming clematis with the tiny white flowers. Keep posting!

Sherry

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The echinops make a great background. You have a nice assortment of phlox. How does Moonlight Orchid grow for you?

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Wow! lots of beauties again. I really like Northwind Dancer and the size of Gingham Maid. Liberty Banner is very nice too. Are they good bloomers in general?
    Brad

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANKS for the comments!
    I have tons of phlox all over my yard in virtually every garden. I started out with only a few and now I have them everywhere. Either they reseed or I divide up clumps and replant. I am lucky that they are a no-frills perennial here because they are quite neglected. I really enjoy their late summer beauty. Nancy, Yes, those are globe thistle....another plant that pops up everywhere. It reseeds like crazy for me. I have to pull up and discard them by the dozens just to keep them under control.

Mantis, To be honest Moonlight Orchid is a bit of a disappointment and I'm on the fence about discarding it. I love the blooms when they actually aren't deformed, but that happens far too often. When opening correctly it is one of the most beautiful to me. This was the first year it rebloomed so it may be trying to sweet talk me into keeping it another year.
    The databases say that Gingham Maid's bloom size is 7 to 7 1/4 inches and is an early bloomer. Apparently mine hasn't done it's research because it is more like 8 1/2 inches and blooms mid-late.

Brad, all three are good bloomers for me here.

Thanks again!

Celeste

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

WOW!!!!!!, what some beauties you have again. I do hope these photos last a lot longer,and they not coming to a end, too.I do so injoy your photos of all your beauties, and love the garden pictures, too. soo many neautiful flowers I really like PERSIAN RUBY. it looks to be a huge flower too. and LIBERTY BANNER is real pretty, tooand GINGHAM MAID is pretty and looks so huge, too., THE HIBISCUS is very pretty, too. I grew it for awhile too,. and the phlox is gorgeous.
    Thank you for posting all these gorgeous photos.

jean

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Celeste, I was wondering where you got your daylilies. I was looking for Cat Dancer, North Wind Dancer, Bombay Silk, and Spirit of the Dove. The prices varied greatly from place to place, and I didn't know if they were good gardens anyway.
    Brad

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brad,
    Luckily I keep a journal of all my daylilies or else I wouldn't remember where I purchase my plants since I have ordered from just about everywhere...lol. I am at about 500 now so nothing is best left to memory! To answer your question:
    Cat Dancer was purchased in 2011 from Earlybird (Robin Calderon). I know she was selling off most of her plants because of years of drought and now her website shows only a few plants left for sale. She was a very generous seller and her prices were extremely reasonable so it's too bad if she is no longer in business.
    BUT, I can tell you that Sara Knackstedt of Daylilies by the Pond sells Cat Dancer for only $5 and I have bought from her before and was pleased. She has a website and her prices are really low. You can still order til the last week of this month.
    Northwind Dancer came from Maryott's in 2011. I do not see it listed any longer on their website.
    Bombay Silk came from Harmon Hill Farm here in New Hampshire. Carl does do mail-order business but it was not on his 2014 sale listing. He may have it next year if he has enough so you could check his website then. I can attest that Carl sells amazing plants.
    Another option is Solaris Farms. They have Bombay Silk on their website for $14 although ordering is closed for the year. You could check in January when the new listing is out because they also have Cat Dancer and Northwind Dancer (which were sold out for 2014). Their prices are good. I have ordered from them and their plants are doing great in my garden because they are grown in a cold climate with no pampering. I even have several of their (Nate Bremer) introductions and the best one is Windy Place which I will be featuring it in a post soon because it is still blooming! It began blooming July 7th and is still going like the energizer bunny (sent up instant rebloom).
    I'm afraid that you probably won't be able to get any of Spirit of the Dove. It came from a very nice lady named Christine Weitz of Gladsome Gardens and it's her own intro. She still has a website up the last time I looked but is no longer doing mail-order business so she can concentrate on hybridizing. (And Liberty Banner, Walk in the Clouds, etc. also came from her since I have many of her intros.). Sorry.

Hope this helps!

Celeste

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Always enjoy seeing your garden pictures. I find it interesting about the different climates and what plants thrive there and when they bloom. My Echinacea for example will have been past bloom months ago by now, and the remaining foliage will look ratty.....The gentlesness of your sunlight this time of year makes everything just glow. Plus it doesn't hurt that you take a great picture......Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Wow Celeste--you are organized! Thanks for all the info. I looked at the sites and decided to wait for Solaris to open next year. Shipping is usually cheaper when you get several from one place.
    Brad

• shive
    9 years ago

It must be nice to have so much blooming. I do love your phloxes! I lost all of mine during the last couple droughts. I used to grow seven different kinds, with David, Laura, and Bright Eyes being my favorites.Your seedling is a pretty one. I like its shape and color! My favorites of your daylilies are Persian Ruby, Liberty Banner and Border Blessed.

Debra

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Beautiful, I especially love your garden shots. I think Liberty Banner and Luna are my favorite daylilies of the group and your seedling is very nice too!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County