Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Thin Man--hardiness and long-term vigor in north?

Hi all,

I planted a nice little clump of Thin Man a few weeks ago. It already looks perky and healthy and I love the photos of the blooms I find online. But I can't find any consistent information about its cold hardiness.

For those of you in zone 6a and lower, how has this one performed for you? Can it handle snowless winters with no mulch? Has it multiplied? Or can I expect it to dwindle and fade after a couple of seasons?

Comments (5)

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

I have had thin Man since 2010. I live in Canada zone 5a. It has survived our winters although the last 2 have been milder than usual. It is on the western edge of a garden on the front lawn of our farm. The wind howls through there all winter long and not much snow stays. I do leave all of the plant there for the winter to hold what snow we do have so it is "mulched" in a way. It also gets some shade from the maple behind it. I would maybe get more blooms if it got more sun. But I love it and always take photos of it. It is so photogenic!

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

I have had thin Man since 2010. I live in Canada zone 5a. It has survived our winters although the last 2 have been milder than usual. It is on the western edge of a garden on the front lawn of our farm. The wind howls through there all winter long and not much snow stays. I do leave all of the plant there for the winter to hold what snow we do have so it is "mulched" in a way. It also gets some shade from the maple behind it. I would maybe get more blooms if it got more sun. But I love it and always take photos of it. It is so photogenic!

{{!gwi}}

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Grows well here and seems quite hardy, but not a really fast multiplier.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I can't tell you about the north but here in North Alabama, it does wonderfully. I love this daylily....Ellie

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

I just went and checked some stats for my Thin Man. I purchased it in August of 2010 which I have never done before or since! Usually only spring planting around here. There were 2 nice sized fans. In Sept of 2011 there were 3 fans and 2 scapes. Right now there are 10 fans and 8 scapes which I think is decent growth. There were a max of 11 buds on any scape.
    By contrast Velvet Ribbons, which is right beside it, hasn't done as well. I bought and planted it in May 2011 when there were 3 fans and 3 scapes that summer. There are still only 4 fans and 4 scapes this year. I really do love the bloom though and confess to hybridizing with it!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting