Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking For a Plant,I want Bad

Posted by bulldinkie pa (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:00

It looks like a lilly its tall pink,looks like no leaves just stem.I cant find them anywhere.What are they called?I did know.
I want some of these.Every year I see them in peoples yards I want some,love,love gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking For a Plant,I want Bad

You might be thinking of a belladonna amaryllis, also known as naked lady. Check the link.

Nate

Here is a link that might be useful: Naked Lady Amaryllis

o

Also know as a surprise Lily. You can find them many places but mostly in people's yards. Just google it and you can find where to purchase it...Ellie

o

A lily that was recently highlighted in the October edition of Fine Gardening Magazine was Surprise Lily (Lycoris squamigera). This is a pink lily and they report that this plant has no foliage to speak of and the booms sit about 18 to 24" on bare stems. Good luck.

o

there are two different plants...and they are very similar. so they are always being confused with the other. even sellers dont get it right half the time. however they both have foliage, which is a good way to id the type you are seeing.

belladonna amaryllis/naked lady foliage comes up after it blooms. they also seem to have narrower dark stems.

surprise lily foliage comes up in spring and lasts until mid summer, and blooms in late summer. they have a thicker and lighter colored stem.

in both cases they dont have foliage and blooms at the same time, so unless you grow them for yourself or a house you frequent grows them, you would probably never even notice the foliage.

o

dug up a pic of my surprise lilies in spring. pardon the spring clean-up going on.

o

from the other direction in late summer, after being beaten down by a hard rain...but you get the idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here