Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proliferations

Posted by buyorsell888 Zone 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 11:36

I have dozens of them and would like to grow them. Last year I tried rooting them in water and it didn't work. I ended up with rot and aphids. Will they root in potting soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proliferations

• Posted by virgo45 Toronto,Canada 6a (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 13:40

Hi: I have started alot of Proliferations both in water and directly in moist soil and both methods work. I remove any old or dried leaves from the prolif to make sure the root area is exposed to the water or moist soil. If I do them in water I leave the water level just above the bottom of the prolif., where it attaches itself to the scape. Check them daily and change the water daily, as soon as a root starts to appear I place them in moist soil. I cut the scape about 2 inches above and 2 inches below the prolif. The scape anchors them in place when you put them in the soil. The scape will eventualy dry up/rot and can be removed at that time. If the prolif. has visible roots when you harvest it I would skip the water and place it directly in moist soil. Be very careful not to break the new roots while handling/planting the prolif. I have about a 95% success rate with this method. The odd prolif is not healthly enough to produce roots and will rot and die. These would not be healthy plants and you probably would not want them in your garden. I have never had aphids, but if they appear you could wash the prolif in dish soap and water to get rid of them. If the problem persist you might want to give them a spraying of house and garden raid, I am sure that would get rid of the aphids. I hope this is helpful.

o
RE: Proliferations

I only tried water method. In most cases they grow roots, then I plant. Last year I had a lot of prolifs, all rooted in water and planted, and all lived.
Check out Jean's thread about prolifs, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here