Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Extra Long Season Coming to an End

shive
9 years ago

This is one of the longest daylily seasons I've ever had. There have been daylily blooms in my garden every day since June 4th. It must be because some were blooming on time and others were three weeks late. And throw in some rebloom and bud building. One of my seedlings will keep the show going another week.

Today was RED EDITION'S last rebloom flower.

Comments (11)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

My first daylily bloom was May 27 on Kokomo Sunset, with Selma Rose the next day. The only one I have still blooming is Lemon Crinkles, & I still have a few blooms left on it. Usually it reblooms, but I don't see any sight of any yet. I don't think I had as much rebloom this year as I usually do. Caribbean Eye Spy usually reblooms twice, but this year no rebloom at all, & it really didn't bloom all that well. I won't give up on it though, a couple of years ago it rebloomed very late in the fall, I know it was blooming into October.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Wow! You really do have them late this year. And the thing is that they are still the pretty ones. Red Edition is a cheery red flower that reminds me of Christmas. Is the edge really that white?...........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the edge is very white!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Red Edition is beauty, Debra. I have one daylily that has not bloomed yet, but should have its first bloom open either tomorrow or Tuesday. I've had some rebloom, Rocket Blast and Ancient of Days are still blooming, but, for some reason Dragonfly Charmer didn't bloom this year, then suddenly, in late August, put up a scape, so it should be opening blooms for most of September this has been a strange season.

kay

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

That is absolutely stunning! What a way to go out with a bang. Your season is definitely longer than mine. My very earliest didn't begin until July 7th!

Celeste

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I meant to say, your Red edition is beautiful. I have it, but it didn't look nearly as nice as yours this year. Sure hope it looks more like yours next year.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Your season is ending with a bang. That's the best photo yet of Red Editions. I don't think I noticed before that it has a watermark, in addition to that beautiful edge. It wouldn't be nearly as striking if it had a gold edge, so it's the perfect combination.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

My last bloom of the year was today with BUTTERED POPCORN. First one to bloom was NIGHT RHYTHMS ON
    May 8th. sure a long time to wait till next season for blooms again.but,I hhave lots of photos to look at.
    That RED EDITION is a beauty, Debra.

jean

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I really like RED EDITION!

Today's blooms are one bloom on RUBY LIPSTICK, two blooms on PASTOR Z's rebloom scape.

Yesterday I had a last bloom on a Hensley, RAINDEER ANTLERS.

I'm going to be seeing LIBERTY AND JUSTICE blooming at some point, on two scapes. Unless I cut them, which I'm thinking of doing.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Well, Debra, we may as well put a positive spin on a season that has to have been disappointing--with dozens of plants lost, many that failed to bloom, and general problems with short scapes and low bud count. Yes, Red Edition is nice.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 13:56

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

Red Rendition is absolutely GORGEOUS !!!