Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishnforspring

When do I plant my fresh seeds???

wishnforspring
13 years ago

I have been collecting from my seed pods and I have stuck some of the seeds directly in the ground next to the parent plant. Is this the right thing to do or should I store them til next spring? I got 15 seeds from 1 pod of my Fooled Me daylily today!

Any help would be appreciated.Also how long do you wait for the seeds to sprout after you plant them? I planted some this winter and only a few sprouted -mostly after I had given up on them..

Comments (7)

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

i wouldn't plant the seeds next to the parent unless you plan on moving them soon after their first year. they'll end up growing together and you'll get a mishmash of different plants in one clump. the seeds germinate better with at least three weeks of stratification (cold). i usually start mine in the greenhouse in november to give them a big headstart. you can direct sow them and they'll germinate next spring or you can dry them for at least 24 hours and then store them in the fridge and it'll give you something to do this winter. provided you have the room and the time for winter sowing. the way i germinate my seeds is to put some water with a little peroxide, the seeds will usually germinate in a few days. after that i plant the ones that germinated and discard the rest. cuts down on soil and space.

• wishnforspring
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Cody. I have collected my seeds and placed them in paper bags to dry for now.Now I should place them in the fridge til I want to direct sow them?
    How can you tell if the seeds are good to begin with? Some seem dried and shriveled up when they come out of the pod already. Should those be discarded?

• wishnforspring
    Original Author
    13 years ago

???????????????????????? Still waiting to see what I should do

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Some seeds will be shriveled and others plump. No way to tell which ones will actually germinate when direct sowing outdoors. I have not direct sowed seeds before so can't help with the whole theory on cold stratification or not. Sorry :-(.

I have only germinated seeds indoors by presoaking them and waiting for the radicle to show (the white nub)and then planting them in plastic 16 oz cups. I have direct sowed in a shoebox (plastic)undoors without presoaking and got good results as well. My seeds are kept in the refrig till I start them in February.

Julia

• kathy910
    13 years ago

Hi there -

I've read to refrigerate for anywhere from 3-6 weeks before planting. (In an airtight container.) I pitch seeds that are shriveled or squishy when pressed on.

Here is a link that might be useful: See Part 4

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Here is a post here on GW which you may find helpful about shriveled seeds versus plump ones. Confused yet? LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds

• wishnforspring
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks Julia for shedding some light on this subject.I went to the Cedarthorn Gardens link and printed it off. I did cross 2 dl's this year with pods forming on both. I didn't check to see if they were compatible(one was a spider one not) but they formed a seed pod.Now I just have to wait and see.And I did mark them-progress for me since I can't remember why I even went into a room to get something!
    Guess I have to figure out a way to get my greenhouse up and going before December- I'm excited. Hope the pods produce at least 1 good seed.
    Thanks again guys/gals;)