Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Last one Started (???) blooming and Bella

organic_kitten
9 years ago

It is too far too late for an initial bloom on a plant here, but Dragonfly Charmer decided to put a scape up and the first bloom opened. This plant has very substantial scapes, tall and straight. I got it as a single fan last year.

Tree Turtles, a late one from Woodhenge Gardens is a plant that just blooms and re-blooms and re-blooms again. It finally seems to have bloomed its last one for this year. It is a very tall plant...a hard rain with wind made the scape bend low, but I generally have to stretch to get photos of the blooms.

A unexpected re-bloomer, I got it as a bonus. It bloomed during the regular season, then put up a re-bloom scape...when that scape started blooming, it put up another nice scape. Here is Ancient of Days:

You may notice Bella is under the plant...she loves to play in the daylilies...she spotted that bloom:

and I missed the shot, but the bloom is evidence of her jumping uu and grabbing it:

She is always playing in the plants, and is not going to be so much fun next year if she continues like she is now...chasing butterflies and lizards, wrestling the plant, grabbing my hands when I groom the plants...but she is fun...here she is surveying her kingsdom, I suppose:

kay

Comments (13)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Dragonfly Charmer is really pretty, but my favorite is probably Ancient of Days. I've always liked dark reds with a little edge. Bella's the best though, when I was a child I always wanted a white cat. All of ours were gray tabbies. My kittens like to "help" in the flower beds too, fortunately they don't tend to attack my hands while I'm weeding like my previous garden helper.
    At first I thought that was a peony in that last picture with Bella, then I thought no, must be a dahlia, & I've finally decided it is a zinnia. A very pretty flower whatever it is.

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

I can never get enough pictures of Bella! She is so cute. Those pale blue eyes get me every time. We had a white cat with blue eyes named Shasta that grew up with my youngest daughter and one day she just never came home. We hate not knowing what happened to her and Tiffany still longs for her. I have photo albums going back years and years of the two of them growing up together. Shasta was the only blue-eyed cat we've had but I have always been partial to white/blue-eyed cats. So I really enjoy seeing pics of sweet Bella.

I really like the coloring on Ancient of Days. I love that Tree Turtles is a late. I will have to look into that one!

Celeste

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Kay, I was going to tell you that I ordered Citrix from Maryotts. I hope mine looks as good as yours. I was surprised at how delicate the fans are. For some reason I was expecting some sturdy fans.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Kay, love Dragonfly Charmer, I'm a sucker for the purples! Bella is a beautiful cat. I have my shih tzus to help in the garden. Mostly they just bask in the sun and keep an eye on me.

Sherry

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

love these daylilies. They are all so pretty and especially Ancient of days. That one is a real beauty. but, so is Bella, too.I have never had a white cat.Mine has always been either a black or a tortie., except when I had my Persians and one of them was a cream,and one was a blue., and even one of them was a tortie, too.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone for looking and commenting. Nancy, I planted a few zinnias four years ago to add some color when the daylilies were through. They come up every year, and I weed about 75% of them. Citrix won't be delicate when it grows and shows out next year. It is a good plant, and a good increaser.

Ce4leste, those pale blue eyes are what struck me about Bella. she is a small cat too, which is nice. She has gotten to where she likes to come into the green house, which would be good since it is dry and will be warm this winter...I can see a cat door in the greenhouse.

To everyone who commented on Anciet of Days, I am sure it wold be purple in a cooler climate than mine.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Bella seems much less shy than in your first pics. She also seems very relaxed. I don't know about the Korth pics. I have found that my Korth plants look quite different from those on the Pinewood Gardens website. I am more wary now before buying Korth plants, but God knows, there are plenty of Korth groupies out there.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Beautiful daylilies and Bella is beautiful too.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Catching up on the posts. Goodness, you are having a long season. Bella seems content to be part of your family now.

I always give any new plants a couple of years of different weather conditions to see how it will perform in my garden. After the 3rd year it either has a place to stay or it finds another home. I find Phil's plants are typically spot on here but then our climates are similar.

Time to get outside and continue moving plants. I will be so glad if I can get 75% of the plants moved before the end of the month. :)

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean, I had one other white cat, but it was more than 40 years ago. I had a Korat; they look very like Celeste's Zeus, black ones, a Calico, and many gray tabbies. One orange and a couple Siamese. Mantis, you are right, Bella is much tamer. she likes to be petted now, and allows me to pick her up, but she will never be a lap cat. Gus is to an extent. Bella rarely leaves the yard now, Julia, but I don't think she will ever settle to be a house cat. She likes the greenhouse, and occasionally goes in there to escape the heat. I, too, give plants three years. I have had a few really good ones take that long to bloom even. Like you, I am still working in the beds. I have the front bed to do, and have to move some lilies and an amaryllis that has decided to bloom for the first time ever, and them move in the plants that will live there. I haven't done the rose garden yet, but maybe soon.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

So glad to see that Bela is settling in. What will they do over winter?....... I've never had a white cat either. Combinations of white with other colors, but not altogether white. Such a pretty color in a cat and Bela is a beauty.......Ooh. I like that Ancient Days. Very nice indeed..........Maryl

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Does Bella ever have problems with her ears? I remember I had a white cat briefly when I was young that had a terrible problem with sunburned ears. Maybe not all white cats have that sensitivity.

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

Kay, I love Ancient of Days - it's BEAUTIFUL !!!