Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

So glad to be Home

organic_kitten
11 years ago

Got in yesterday from a planned 3 week vacation out west.

We came home a week early, as it was a bit rough. Very crowed with European tourists (great for the balance of trade I would think). So very dry, that the old sinuses rebelled.

We enjoyed the trip, but it was a very large amount of driving, and our ancient chihuahua was not doing well at first, which meant DH, who is so very fond of this dog, was very stressed.

All in all, I think that vacation is less intensely interesting now that we are retired and enjoying ourselves anyway. Besides, I have work I need to do in the garden...and we were missing gym. Glad to be home.

Bill Watson decided to rebloom, and Texas Carnival Dance is reblooming for the third time. There's another spike on Marseilles Watercolor, and Colorado Moonfire has more blooms to open. The pink "Carpenter looking" NOID has also put up another scape.

That means daylilies have been blooming for 5 months and counting now. a very looooong season.

Glad to see many others of you are enjoying rebloom. Bill Watson makes 102. Bet there won't be 20 next year, but that's okay too. My Sunset Romance from Mary Jane was waiting when I got home, and she sent Wild Pink Rosebud for a bonus...I have to look it up. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler, and I hope to get a lot done in the garden this next week.

kay

Comments (8)

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Hope there were some things good about your vacation that you enjoyed. Glad you have safely returned. How do you contact Mary Jane Meadows--seems like a lot of problems about her website. Do you know what is going on? I wanted to look up your DLs from her, but no luck. Avedon

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Welome home! What is a vacation? (just kidding... we haven't had one since I've been taking care of Mom since no one is willing to care for her but me). I do remember the last real one we took was up to Nova Scotia and that was gorgeous beyond belief but all that DRIVING was exhausting.
    It felt like we needed a vacation from our vacation...LOL.
    So I understand what you're saying.
    I can't believe how much rebloom you are having this year!
    I have even had some rebloom myself which is remarkable here. The nights are getting down into th 30's and any night there will be frost but poor 'Wonder of it All' with it's frilly blooms has a rebloom scape! This one only opens properly 50% of the time in HOT weather so I don't expect anything from her, but you gotta love a daylily that tries so hard.
    YES...I would be excited to get Golly Galore next week if you can manage that. If you can't next week then I will probably have to wait til spring since the cold is coming here. I haven't had any issues planting in September but would be reluctant to in October...so next week should be fine. Do you still have my address? Thanks so much!

Celeste

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Welcome back Kay. Sounds like you had a great vacation.

Avedon: I sent you an email via GW with the last known contact information I had for MJ from when I purchased plants from her several years ago. I don't want to post her info on a public forum.

Julia

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Avedon:Sorry but no link on your page to send email via GW so I sent it through the other email.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Welcome home KAY.I know you have to be worn out with all the driving.Hope you injoyed it and seen lots of new things along the way.Bet the little dog is happy to be home, too.Glad you made it back safely.

Jean

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I've been away from the forum way too much this year. I didn't realize you were on vacation. Hope you had fun. No matter how great the vacation it is always nice to get home. I like to go away in the winter so I won't miss my garden. I'm happy to miss the cold weather-- except for last winter when there wasn't any. I agree Kay, once you are retired its almost like being on vacation all the time.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avedon, I bought Sunset romance on the lily auction, and Mary Jane contacted me via email. If you want to see Wild rose Petals, you can google it and a couple of pictures pop up. Pretty rose pink with edge.

Thanks for your replies.

Avedon, there were many things we enjoyed on the vacation, but it was a bit of a disappointment overall.

Celeste, I will try to get that out Monday.

Thanks Julia,. It is nice to vary routine.

Hi Jean. I wasn't horribly far from you, at least in the state the last night...mid rather than south Arkansas though.

Val, we don't generally have such cold weather here. This being the slow time of the season, I don't post as much, although I did reply to posts on the laptop.

Glad to be home, and itchig to get some more work done in the garden.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I had noticed that you hadden't been on the Forum in a while. I do hope you did have a nice time in spite of some problems on vacation. Sometimes it is good to get away. Then it makes it really nice to come home again.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!