Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About Seed Sprouting

I have some seeds soaking in the peroxide/water solution. Once the radicles start showing, is it better to plant them in seed starting mix or put them in damp paper towels until the first leaves start? I saw a UTube video that advocated the wet paper towel method until leaves and a tiny root showed. Seems when I plant my sprouted seeds with the radicle showing but no green leaves, it takes them awhile to come up.

Another question - when using the peroxide/water solution, is tap water OK to use or should distilled water be used?
Thanks for any help!
Judith

Comments (8)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Hi Judith,
    I think you can do either way. I personally would go ahead and pot them when the radicle shows, that way roots will establish in the mix from the beginning and they're much easier to pot. Just make sure to pre-moisten your mix.
    I had some rotting using tap water, so I always used distilled water after. As long as you're mixing with h. peroxide and changing daily, probably won't make a difference.
    How many seeds are you planning to sprout and pot?
    Good luck, Ed

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure of the exact number of seeds, but I would say approximately 80-100. I read somewhere that there were people who liked to play with their seeds, trying all sorts of ideas for sprouting. I guess I fall in that category - I do it for a hobby. I have bred horses for years, so enjoy the genetic aspect of it. Don't plan to register anything, just doing it for the pleasure of crossing one on another.

Because I am in the starting stages of germinating, I am checking them daily, planting the ones with the radicals showing. Just to experiment, I have been putting those in little plastic bags wrapped in paper towels in a bright window by my desk. I have been pleasantly surprised to see these radicals really starting to grow. I then had an idea of using the round, thin cotton pads, dipped in the peroxide/distilled water solution, folded over with the seeds inside. Easier than the paper towels and seems to work great.

Since I started using distilled water instead of tap water, [may be my imagination] but seems the seeds germinate quicker. I am due to pot some today that are starting to show green and have nice roots. The sun in the window is west but is blocked a bit by a tree. Had been afraid to put them in this much light so used an east window previously - house doesn't have a north or south window I can use. The east window didn't seem to give enough light. This west one seems to really be kicking them into gear. Its really fun to check them daily and see actual progress!
    Judi

• Ed
    9 years ago

Hi Judi,

I think 80-100 sounds pretty manageable and it sounds like you have a workable procedure in-place. When I got up around 1000, I had to give it up and started planting the seeds directly. We would try to get them planted in the fall and transplanted to beds over the winter. When I was down in zone 9a.

I would try some outside if I were you. As long as they have 3-4 weeks to acclimate before a freeze, I think they will do okay, but you could also bring them in during freeze periods until they get up around 6 leaves. And if you don't have problems with critters messing with them.

Whether you ever register anything or not, it is still such a thrill to see that seedling bloom for the first time. It's a nice hobby.
    Good luck and have fun, Ed

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ed, I think I way underestimated my seed number. I have been having a great time the last week or so getting them going. I write down what I plant, and so far as of this evening, I have 87. I have some soaking in cotton pads, some still in the fridge......so I bet I will have about 350. Luckily I have plenty of room and a greenhouse - plus can put on shelves in my south facing garage if I need to.

I am really pleased with the results I am getting. The peroxide/distilled water moistened cotton pads seem to spur growth better than the paper towels - I tried the same cross in one of each - the one in the cotton pad is putting out roots and tiny green leaves while the ones in the paper towel are still just showing the radicle. I label each small plastic bag and put the bags in a clear plastic cup and place in a west facing window that gets bright sunlight. I found ones that had been there 9 days had amazing roots and green leaves.

I figured out something else tonight. I have some tiny stick on dots [who knows what I got them for] and when I check a bag and there are roots and green leaves, I put a dot on the bag telling me it is time to pot them up - I put another color dot on the ones that are almost ready to pot up. This saves me from having to open the bags every day. I am seeing changes every day - taking the ones that are soaking and showing a radicle and putting them in the plastic bag with a cotton pad. This may be more work than most people would want to do, but it is fun and I enjoy it. Have planted 11 crosses so far and starting to see green tips. The cross of Pat Soileau x Freedom's Triumph amazed me when I opened it - have included a photo - its not too clear as was taken indoors at night, but you can see the long roots and the little green tips. When I put the cotton pad in the baggie, I fold it over in half so the seeds are covered.

Am hoping to get a bunch of seedlings up and growing before we get our first freeze in November. We normally have cold weather thru December but not too many freezes.

Is anyone else starting seeds? If so, how are they coming along?
    Judith

• Ed
    9 years ago

Hi Judith,
    Looks like you're having a good time, and quite successful starting your seeds. If I play with them again, I will definitely try your cotton pads. There have been several experiments trying peroxide/distilled water vs. only water, and since oxygen is one of the necessary ingredients for germination, the peroxide/water mix has proven to germinate seeds quicker. I think it also adds a measure of disease prevention.
    Curious to know what ratio you use for your mix?
    A suggestion for you to consider, when I played with seeds, I settled on using little plastic resealable containers, like you get at the grocery store with stuff in them. Using the lid upside down with a moist piece of paper towel and the bowl upside down over it, made for a pretty good greenhouse, and it allowed the leaves to grow upright. When they hit the top, it was time to plant. See photo (yes, they are daylily seeds - just whitish).
    Best, Ed

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ed, like the little greenhouse! I may try that. Am trying seeds sitting on pure sand to see how that works. Am having good luck with many of the seeds - they are getting green leaves quickly and am planting them.

I have a question about those that are doing nothing. Some are from this year, some are from last year. They are just sitting there in the peroxide solution [by the way, I read to use 1 T per 1 C distilled water, that is what I am using]. If it gets cloudy, I change it and check for rotted seeds. Many of them are still apparently viable - just nothing happening. At what point do you give up on seeds that just continue to sit there? I have heard about people getting impatient, throwing the planted seeds in the compost pile, then they decide to germinate. I have quite a few seeds that have been soaking for almost a month, they are firm, not mushy, but just sitting there doing nothing. Should I keep soaking these seeds or give up?

Am really enjoying this - fun to see the little babies in pots growing and getting stronger!
    Judith

• Ed
    9 years ago

"1 T per 1 C distilled water"
    Is this 1 Tablespoon to 1 Cup distilled water?

Regarding the seeds that don't seem to be cooperating. In past seed germination trials, the black seed coat was removed to be sure all seeds were exposed to the liquid at the same time. The seeds that are sitting there may be better sealed than normal, or bacteria are not present to break through the coat to allow the seed to sense the moisture. I would try scarifying a few of them, or carefully remove the coat and see if they germinate. I would expect germination within 10 to 14 days in either case.
    Ed

• lemonthyme5
    9 years ago

Hi, Judith! I'm also a livestock person ( hogs) and we breed our own purebreds and crossbred breeding stock. Hubby was intrigued with my first attempts this late summer with crossing DL. Need to package up my seeds now and get them in the frig. Anxious to try seed germ on my crosses and see what I can come up with!!!
    Pat

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County