Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Hooray! It is a little cooler.

organic_kitten
10 years ago

It cooled off enough for me to finally get into the garden today. I shovel pruned Circle of Honor, Size counts, and Set My Soul on Fire.

I moved Brazen Bandit into the space for Size Counts...my china rose had stolen BB's sun. I planted Westbourne's Blueberry Popcicle in place of Set MY Soul on Fire (didn't thrive here) and Cat Ballou went into the prime space of Circle of Honor. COH is pretty, but I just don't love it.

I have quite a few more to dig up, and several more to plant in addition to the two coming from Bill Maryott. What a joke! two from Bill Maryott. Probably six of them knowing Bill.

Anyway, I groomed all of the daylilies in the iris row and the bed across from it. I also SPed a Miss Kim lilac that never did anything. There is no room for under-performers. I am about to go out and update my map of planting in that area. I will be glad when I finish the final decisions and dig the other daylilies that are leaving here, that is for sure!

kay

Comments (8)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

It has been really nice for gardening the last few days here, I've been outside a lot. I've got my front yard groomed & mostly ready for winter. Now for the back yard.
    A shame the daylilies didn't do so well for you. Set My Soul on Fire is gorgeous from its photo, & Size Counts looks lovely with supposedly high bud counts. That is the nice thing about this forum, learning what is & isn't great. Now if I could just remember what I learn!
    I've been sorting through my less remarkable seedling daylilies & trashing them, moving others to my seedling bed "to watch". Trying to fill in any holes I have in my beds, just got back from town with a couple of plants to help fill in. Moving a couple of daylilies that are getting shaded by growing shrubs. I saw some Miss Kim lilacs on sale for $3, good size pots, but I talked myself out of it. I didn't buy any daylilies this year, although I did receive a few, so I'll have a few new blooms to see next year. I always feel I HAVE to have something new to anticipate.

• hostabff
    10 years ago

I agree with you Kay - the cool weather is great for some serious gardening. Here in the North East we have had cool weather for a couple weeks. I have removed four truckloads of plant material from my sunny border garden and I'm only 2/3 done. Any daylilies that have been removed have been potted up for potential sale in the spring. I let two varieties go to a new home to make room for new stuff, including an ITOH peony I purchased off a $10 clearance table. It has been a great fall for moving plants too and I definitely moved a number of my favorite daylilies to better locations where I can enjoy them when I come home from work. Now it's time to get some spring bulbs in the ground. Best wishes to all of you for some great fall gardening!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Its nice and cool here, too, Kay., jus hate the fact that my b ody wont let me do what I want to do. but, I did dig up 6 daylilies this week, that was slowly dying in this hard as cement ground and I potted them up.so, now I think they will do much better. a couple has already started growing a new fan.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad others are having cool too. I have an awful lot I need to do, but have unfortunately developed a new physical issue that has slowed me down some, so I can sympathize with you, jean.

I'm working by sections now. But I m very glad to have some of my shovel pruning done. Ngraham, Set My Soul Afire is a beautiful bloom, but to be one fan (a decrease) after four years doesn't cut it. Size Counts is very pretty, large blooms, very good bud count...but way down in the foliage.

All American Windmill is going too. It is okay, a veritable bloom machine, it re-bloomed, heavily three times; but I just don't like it. Helix has never pleased me, so it goes. Those are just personal taste decisions. I have about ten I need to get into the ground before Bill Maryott's order comes.

Hostabuff, I am moving a few peonies to the area I cleared in the iris bed.

One thing I did manage to do was create a new graph of the plants in my work area.

kay

• dementieva
    10 years ago

We had about 3 days of cool, and now it's hot again. But I'm sure the real cool is coming before long!

Nate

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

am so sorry, Kay. Just what we don't need, is a new ache and pain..but, we love to garden and grow things, so it wont sop us,, jus slow us down., to maybe a crawl.:(

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I hope your problem is just a passing pain, nothing that will slow you down for long, Kay. I mentioned that I had hip replacement in May. I can't believe how much energy I have now, so nice to be pain free. I can get so much more done now. I can really sympathize, I know I wasn't in as much pain as lots of people.
    I emailed newyorkrita recently, been wondering how she was doing. Exactly as I suspected, she has been super busy with all her veggies. I don't know where she gets all her energy from, always had a project going. She said to tell everyone she'd doing fine & she misses the forum friends.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Goodness Kay, you sure have been busy. I have a big phobia with shovel pruning any plant but I may need to do it next year and I have tons to divide and move out.

The only thing in the garden I've been doing is taking dead scapes out and collecting the last of tomatoes and other veggies. No real digging in the dirt gardening yet and the weather has been absolutely perfect here (sigh). Been to physical therapy to get my pinkie and ring finger to bend again. Who would have thought just a simple fall would have me out of commission for so long. Do take care Kay and take some time to just enjoy your garden. :-).
    I'm still reading the forums but taking some "me" time to do some sewing and just relax and think about what I can do next year in the garden. But those pesky weeds are driving me crazy.

Julia

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler