Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Pink (again)

So, Shores of Time is out because of rust. Any suggestions for a pink as pink as SOT but without the rust? I already have Leslie Renee (no rust), but it's much lighter then SOT. How about Bubble Yummin Mama? Looks like it could be a darker pink. Greenway maybe? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome?.........Maryl

Comments (11)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

How long did you have SOT? Could the source you got the plant from have contributed to the rust issue?

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

If rust is a factor with your choice, Bubble Yummin Momma isn't a good one.
    katy

• shive
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your rust. I've had Shores of Time for five years, and luckily it has never gotten rust, even when a few other new ones had it.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your plants may be more tolerant of rust in your garden then mine Debra, but SOT had over 60% of the foliage covered in rust when I finally pitched it. I kept cutting off the rusty leaves hoping to stop the infection, but that proved futile. I've never had rust in my garden before, so I'm pretty sure which vendor I got it from this year. Suffice it to say if a grower doesn't have a real winter, then rust may be a problem in the daylilies they ship you....... Shores of Time btw, was listed as moderately susceptible to rust in the last rust survey to be done. In my garden, by my definition at least, it ranked not resistant at all....I want a rust discussion later on, but as our season is not over yet, I want to see what else pops up......Btw Debra, I lusted after your pictures of Natalie Antoinette, but she was next to SOT and rusted like a fool too so I had to throw her out as well. Sigh.....Katy, thanks for you input on Bubble Yummin Momma. It's invaluable to me. I never want to go through this rust situation again if I can ever get rid of it......Now, anyone else have a pink (deeper pink that is) to suggest?.......Maryl

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I have SOT and we have rust this year after such a mild winter, but it hasn't been heavily affected by it. Bubble Yummin' Mama is a lovely pure pink, not at all leaning toward rose. I'll have to look tomorrow, but I think it has some rust, too. Let's hope and pray we'll have a very cold winter this year. You stand a much better chance than we do down here so close to the Gulf.

If it isn't raining tomorrow, I'll go out and see what pinks I have that don't have any rust. In the pink range (from light to dark) I also have Dolly's Lipstick, Leslie Renee, Crowning Light, Clothed in Glory, Berry Patch, Collectors Choice, Pathway to Paradise, Smile Again, Song Writer, Cerise Masterpiece, Walking in Beauty, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and a lot more I can't think of at the moment.

I think the only daylily out of close to 1500 (including seedlings) in my garden that doesn't have a speck of rust is Fires of Fuji - a new "oldie" planted last fall.

We are getting ready to start spraying again, and will be cutting them way back once it turns cold, as our friend Ed suggested here at the forum. I've never seen rust this bad in ten years of growing daylilies.

The good news for you, though, is that normally you have much colder winters and it should be self-limiting there. I certainly hope so.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Have you considered Half Moon Key?

I have no idea where it is on the rust monitor, but it is a nice deep pink.

Remembering Elizabeth has never shown any rust here either:

kay
    kay

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

Here's an older one I like Jedi Dot Pierce

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This has been a test year indeed for my daylilies. Some I've had for many years and most of those have thankfully come up rust free, including the pink Yesterday Memories, which has always been a favorite of mine....Nancy, I have Leslie Renee and it, so far, has not had even a spot of rust on it. Songwriter is on my list and I have a reliable northern vendor that carries it. If you see any rust on yours I'd sure like to hear about it. And you are so right. I am hoping we get a cold winter this year to kill off any remaining rust that could be around. The problem is that mine are in pots and I "snuggle" them together outside over winter. Any with bad rust issues obviously can not be "snuggled"....Kay, I really like the color on Half Moon Key. Reminds me of SOT. RE is nice too. I'm happy there are any Pink daylilies that are rust resistant that you can tell me about........Maryl

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Maryl, I don't have this one, but I hope to get it this spring. Check out Rose Masterpiece and see what you think. There are some lovely pictures on Dave's Garden and also All Plants Database. Perhaps some Forum members grow it and can tell us if it is rust resistant, I want to know, too. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Maryl, it rained off and on all day yesterday, so today I did get to check the pink daylilies for evidence of rust for you. I'm sorry to have to report that all of those I mentioned above (except JKO), including Bubble Yummin' Mama show some signs of rust. Add April LaQuinta and Tetra Connie Burton to that, too.

The good news here, is that the rust is rapidly diminishing. I had to bend over and take a very close look at lower leaves on most of them. SOT is only mildly affected. Let's hope for a very cold winter!

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Nancy for taking the time to look for me. I'm pretty disappointed that Songwriter has rust since I've heard such good things about it. And yes on the cold winter. I'm now finding a few new spots on some daylilies that had cleaned themself up over summer. If they hadn't cleared up of course, I'd have pitched them just like I did with the very rusty Shores of Time and some others. It's not only getting depressing now, it's getting expensive.

Avedon: Great minds think alike. I have Rose Masterpiece and it's one of my older favorites. It wasn't sitting in direct contact with my "rust belt" daylilies, so I take that into consideration, but so far, it's perfect. No disease at all.

Kay: Where did you get your Half Moon Key? I'm thinking maybe next spring if we have a normal zone 7A winter to kill all the rust, that I might attempt to grow it next spring since it shows resistance for you..........Maryl

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler