Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Got Rust? Please read

Julia WV (6b)
9 years ago

With permission to post the following from Sue Bergeron and James Buck, if you have/had rust this year, please read the following and if you can help with the study, please read the following directions. I don't have rust here but perhaps some of you have observed it in your garden and can help.

All that's needed is for a rust infected leaf or two to be pressed
between kitchen paper towels for a couple of days to dry, the same as you would prepare dried flowers by pressing. Then enclose the leaves in a clean paper towel, place in an envelope (no plastic) and mail to:

Dr. James Buck
Dept of Plant Pathology
University of Georgia
1109 Experiment Street
Griffin, Ga 30223-1797

Please include at minimum your email address in case they need to contact you. Your name and snail mail address would also be useful but not required, although a note of your general location would be helpful. They would also like a note of any prior fungicide use.

Julia

Comments (7)

• katlynn719
    9 years ago

Thanks Julia! My leaf is pressing and will be in the mail within a few a days.
    Kathy

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The one year I had rust from some spring-purchased Southern plants, I was aghast at what a horrible disease it is. It spreads quickly and quickly defoliates. When we shiver this winter, we can think of at least one advantage to not being in Florida.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 10:02

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

We had a terrible rust outbreak in our daylilies in 2013. Then we had the long cold winter as most did in 2013-2014. Because of my husband's physical problems and surgeries in 2014, I was too busy caring for him that we just had to forget about caring for daylilies. Nothing was sprayed, but surprise!! no rust. Evidently, we had enough cold for long enough that the rust was killed. Great news, for rust is terrible. We are on the lookout for any possible signs of rust and hope for another cold winter. Avedon

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Same circumstances as Mantis had. Bought from a deep south grower in spring and imported rust for the first time into my garden. What a ghastly and expensive lesson that was. NOW they do the survey! I will be so interested in any results they produce. Between our last couple of cold winters and the fact that I pitched the worst rusters back when it happened, I've been rust free for a couple of years now, but still would hope everyone can eventually grow without that pest..............Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the problems with gathering data is getting the word out to all forums so folks can participate. This post was originally posted on the AHS Robin (I got permission to repost here) but many gardeners who do grow daylilies may not be subscribing to the Robin OR they are not AHS members.

I do hope more people participate.

Julia

• katlynn719
    9 years ago

Just a quick update...
    Today I got an email from Robert Emmitt, who is James Buck's graduate student at the University of Georgia. He is the person working with daylily rust and wanted to send his thanks for the sample I sent. It was a nice acknowledgement and I wanted to encourage others to participate, if they have daylily rust.
    Thanks again for the info, Julia!
    Kathy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy: I wish a lot more people would participate and thanks to you for participating.

Julia