Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

My whole Yard Strinks of Fish Fertilizer.

newyorkrita
12 years ago

It really does smell fishy around here, hee, hee, hee. Today I sprayed my Siberian Iris, my Blueberry Shrubs and all my daylilies with the Neptunes Liquid Seaweed Fertilizer. The stray cats and neighbor racoons should go crazy tonight trying to figgure out what smells so good to them LOL! I don't usually fertilize my daylilies in the fall but have been reading were most of the hybridizers recommend Fall fertilizing for good fan increase and growth. I do remember fall fertilizing that first year of my daylily crazies back in 2007 and those daylilies were just so lush and green that fall.

I have been using the neptune brand liquid Seaweed Fertilizer after bloom season for years and I used that twice after this bloom season. Between that and the rains I could really see my daylilies green up like crazy and the fans really are so very green now. I wonder if they could get any deeper green now that I added the fish fertilizer. Guess I will find out.

Comments (24)

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Rita, I am a big fan of the fish fertilizer for all my flowers. The plants really love it. I even put a little
    of it in the soaking water when I get my daylily orders in.
    But, boy it sure does stink and is nearly impossible to get the smell off. My cats always seem a little friendlier after I've spilled some on me...LOL.

I've been using it for years with great results...glad to know it's doing wonders for your plants too. My hubby owns a hardware store so he orders it by the crate for me (that tells you I have a LOT of plants to feed, huh!)

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celeste, I have been using the Seaweed for many years. In fact I use it on my roses all spring and summer until it is time to stop fertilizing the roses in August. I start off the roses with bagged fertilizer (Rose Tone for them) as I start off my daylilies with bagged fertilizer first off in spring (Plant Tone usually or Flower Tone this spring). Then the roses get periodic doses of the liquid seaweed while the daylilies get it late July or so (after regular season bloom season). They always look somewhat ragged after bloom season and that really fixes them right up.

I thought I ordered lots when I buy it by the gallon instead of quart, ha-ha. You must REALLY need a lot to buy it by the case!!!!!

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Lol. I use it also, and have to warn my kids on those days not to splash in it because it has stinky fish food for plants in it! That stuff works fantastically, though.
    I just threw a big handful of alfalfa meal into each container and the little garden to encourage root growth and new plants get sea-com and a rooting hormone.

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

I have used lobster meal and that was stinky enough.

Edward

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

What are the components of then Seaweed fertilizer. Is it primarily nitrogen? What do you think makes it so effective, and where do you order it?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Neither the Fish nor the Seaweed Fertilizer is high in Nitrogen although the fish does have more nitrogen than the seaweed. I think I got it slighly wrong and misleading up top as I used the fish fertilizer today so that is why it stinks so bad. I used the seaweed earlier in the summer. Just to have even more choices you can use the two together if you want just use half and half.

The things that are so great about both are that number one they are completely organic plus they really do feed and build up the soil, not just the plant. All sorts of mico nutrients, not just NPK.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I use Alaska deodorized fish fertilizer and have for many years. I also use it on my houseplants when I can open doors and windows. I find it somewhat offensive but the plants LOVE it! I really don't like using anything non organic around my house and garden since I have the dogs. As a kid, Dad always fed his tomatoes fish guts from a weekend of fishing. Still the best organic fertilizer IMO.

• weedyseedy
    12 years ago

I have a bottle of fish and seaweed fertilizer combined and if I can get organized tomorrow will try to get it on some daylilies I moved---I hope. Not certain fertilizer working in my very acid clay so will use lobster compost----which again costs---but hope the plants will like lobster as much as my wife does (in a different form---I don't think she'd like it composted)-------------------------Weedy

• casey261
    12 years ago

I recently saw a show about salmon, mostly about the various efforts they are making to keep them from going extinct in certain rivers where the numbers have gotten dangerously low. One thing I found particularly fascinating is when they were talking about how crucial the salmon are to the entire ecosystems surrounding the rivers. This is of course true to some extent of almost any living thing, because of how everything is intertwined. But the show was stating that salmon are particularly important because they spend most of their lives living and growing in a particularly nutrient rich environment (the ocean) and then transport all those nutrients to relatively nutrient poor areas when the adults go back upriver to spawn and die. Then the bears and birds of prey and everything else that eats the salmon distribute those nutrients throughout the entire area via their poop after having eaten salmon. Kind of cool how nature works like that, and I'm sure the same kind of idea is at play with the seaweed and fish fertilizers. Native Americans used to fertilize their corn plants by putting fish (or probably otherwise useless fish parts such as heads and guts) in the hole when they planted the seeds, so the idea of fish fertilizer has been around for a long time, and apparently it works well.
    Casey

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday the garden really stunk after I fertilized with Liquid Fish Fertilzer. Honestly I could smell it even after I went back in the house But today it is gone unless you bend down to sniff the gardenbeds.

I guess today I will go back to redoing some of my markers in the daylily beds (they fade) and maybe some mulching. I have to finish mulching even though I have been mulching off and on all summer. Now that the daylily moving around and fertilizing are both done I can work on the mulching and markers and not get distracted by needing to move around daylilies.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I use the fish emulsion too. The daylilys really seem to like it.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay, I know you are a big believer in the Fish Fertilizer. You sure have been sucessful with your fertilization program. I have never seen daylilies rebloom like yours do! I do believe the liquid fertilizers are easiler for the plants to take up right away plus the seaweed and fish both feed the soil as well as the plants.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

I used mine with the dial n spray and it does get stiiiinky!! Everything really greened up so pretty and that dial n spray is a big time saver. Luv that baby!! So happy you told me about it. I had the Miracle Grow sprayer but the dial n spray seems to work so much better. Thanks for recommending it Rita!! Judy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Judy, I use my dial and spray all the time. I have been spraying my roses with the dial and spray for years. Also my Liquid Seaweed and now the Liquid Fish Fertilizers are so easy to apply with the dial and spray. Really either of theses two fertilizers could be used on any of the garden plants including shrubs and veggies as well as flowers. I do prefer to use the Seaweed in summer because it doesn't have the nitrogen that they don't need in the hot summer weather. My roses have been getting it for years as well as summer doses on the daylilies.

• Ed
    12 years ago

I started using fish emulsion fertilizer as part of the Hooker formula but quit using it because it draws skunks to the yard. They will really dig up the place looking for the dead fish. I think using the hose-end sprayer would help by spreading the stink, instead of concentrating it around the plant like the Hooker formula does. I still have a couple of quarts left aging. Maybe I should use them up. Nah!
    Ed

• floota
    12 years ago

Interesting- I just wrote the same thing to the email robin! That is exactly why I quit using the Hooker formula - skunks invite all of their friends, too and they can do major damage.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, The hose end sprayer does make it easy top do the entire yard or at least any large parts of it that one wants to do.

I did look today and my daylily is still planted so maybe the bricks and stakes are working! It is raining, only a drizzel now but a nice rain this morning. That would be good as it will wash in the fertilizer.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

Rita, The fish emulsion does work wonders, doesn't it? I haven't tried your seaweed fertilizer yet...but I plan to next Spring. First, I need to use up some of the stuff that I already have. I've been waiting for it to cool off a little. And lately, the mornings here have been wonderful. Your post has given me the push I needed - thanks!
    Kathy

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

we were suppose to get storms here last night. I seen seversl slerts on tv sbout severe storms coming, but, nothing cemt herellast night some one may hev god riain, but zi didn't get e drop here. zi went out the other day with my spade to try snf dig up s daylily thet zi didnt see any more,snd zi wanted to see if maybe it was just the leaves was gone, snd zi coulf not dig in thid hard dirt, couldn't even mske s dent in the ground, it ewas so hard,ssnd i been wstering it every day.too,but its been so hot and dry here, watering dont do a lot of good.a hr after i water, the g groungd isdry .

Jean

• terrene
    12 years ago

I started some Daylilies from seed this year (seeds were from a SASBE from jeanne in OH) and a few have died off but overall they are doing very well. I had no idea a little fertilizer in the fall would help and will do that today!

I don't use fish fertilizer outside because the couple times I have, some critters come and start digging around the roots. I often use seaweed solution after planting seedlings because it seems to give them a boost. The Seaweed doesn't attract digging critters.

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

I put fish emulsion on all my plant then had to go back and spray some really stinky stuff on them on the ones outside the fence area, to keep the deer from eating all of it.I really dont think thr fish will keep the deer away. I will have to starts expermrnting to see if The fish will keep these pesty deer away/.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean, I am sorry that the rain missed you, I know you really, really need a heavy soaking there. I really doubt the fish fertilizer nor the seaweed either would do anything to keep the dear away. It is just meant to feed the plants and build up the soil too.

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Please bare with me and all my typing mistakes i hsve been making lately.I had to get a new keyboard last week, and it certinly is not like my old one that I was use to, but,i am not a typist any way . if I see the mistake i fix it beforee going on, but some of it,I don't see.I also think this

keyboard adds a few letters some times.dont know, but hopfully everything will be better soon.

Jean

• art1
    10 years ago

Hi mantis__oh I've always gotten my Fish and seaweed from OrganicGardenGrower.com they have a great FAQ section on their Fish and Seaweed along with some exelent pricing

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune's Harvest

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner