Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Seeds accidentally germinated in the mail!

TNY78
10 years ago

I just received some seeds I bought on the Lily Auction and a couple of the bonus seeds accidentally germinated on route to me. Should I plant these and keep them in my greenhouse ...this close to winter? Or is it too late to put them in the fridge after they've already sprouted?

Thanks!
Tammy

Comments (3)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I think once they've sprouted, you should plant them. I imagine they will be fine in the greenhouse overwinter. I've overwintered them in a window in the house before

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

zone 7? I'd get them out of doors into the ground myself. Not too late at all. Just be sure to put peat into the soil and have some handy in case you see any insects so you can put it around the little seedlings to prevent damping off. I think they have a better survival rate out of doors in a natural environment than inside where they won't grow as strong.

You could split half and half, too. Document your own experiment.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was planning on starting the rest indoors under grow lights in a couple of months, but I guess this little mishap will give me a headstart...at least I know the seeds are nice and healthy! I think I'll try the 1/2 and 1/2 way...being on the border of 7a/6b, it will give me a better feel for what works best for me. This is my first year experimenting with daylily seeds, so I don't have a set process yet :)

Thanks for your input!
    Tammy