Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Hurray for the Late-bloomers! (photos)

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I am SO grateful that I have so many late-bloomers now that it is September and the gardens are looking forlorn. I do have phlox, coneflowers, rudbeckia and hardy hibiscus blooming but after the glory of June and July with the roses, oriental lilies and daylilies peaking, August and September were 'saved' by the lateblooming daylilies.

They may be plain & simple compared to the earlier daylilies, but right now they look gorgeous to me.

And I'm ordering more for next year!

Celeste

PUMPKIN TIME....

(I highly recommend this one! It is a bud-builder. Mine has been blooming since early August and is still going strong. It is new this year so I can only imagine it's performance next year.)

AUGUST FLAME

PURPLE GRASSHOPPER

OLALLIE CHRISTOPHER

BRIDGETON ELEGANCE (bloomed in August and now on rebloom)

VT SPUN SUGAR

VT MOONLIT DANCE

VT SWEET PUMPKIN

VT BRIDAL LILAC

VT ROSY THUMBPRINT

LIME FROST

SEPTEMBER BLAZE (My personal favorite!)

CLOSEUP OF BLOOM.....

THE JURY'S OUT (brand-new but great bud-count & lots of scapes)

FINAL FRONTIER (the very latest of all my daylilies to start blooming this year).

I HAVE MANY MORE SO I WILL POST MORE PICTURES SOON!

Celeste

Comments (12)

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I,m glad you are getting blooms. I have one puny one on a first time bloom seedling. I was a little surprised it looked so good since we are getting so much needed rain....Purple Grasshopper is my pick for favorite...Ellie

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

What a pretty lot, and such nice colors. Pumpkin Time is my pick of them.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Rich color on Pumpkin Time! And I am also drawn to Purple Grasshopper. VT Moonlit Dance is a wonderful clump. What is the height of this on? The bitone and form are very appealing.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH CELESTE> So many gorgeous blooms and in september too, makes them even more gorgeous. I love pumkin time, also, the first one, but you have so many pretty ones, hard to pick just one or even two or three. I have only one blooming right now,and thats CONDILLA. its been blooming for sseveral months and still going.\

\
    jean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Celeste, all of these are so beautiful. How lucky you are to have so many lovely late bloomers. I'll bet you are not suffering with high temps right now like we are. It will be close to 100 degrees for the next few days. That's one reason I think late bloomers might not do so well here, they would be burned out now. However, Beautiful Edgings is still going, and I have found several new scapes on Leebea Orange Crush, and if we get a cooldown by this weekend, all the DLs just might start in again, will wait and see. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice pics.

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Yahoo!! lets hear it for those late bloomers you sure have a lot of beauties, keep those photos coming.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Celeste, you have really gotten into the late bloomers and have done a fabulous job with your collection. And it is so nice to have blooms much later than normal and after your neightbors are all done.

So many nice VT selections pictured and I love them all!

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

What a great collection of late bloomers. I like all of them, but I think my very favorites are Pumpkin Time and September Blaze.
    Val

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

You still have lots of daylilies blooming! I'm jealous! My favorite of them, they're all nice, is Purple Grasshopper. Marg

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANK YOU ALL for looking at my pictures & commenting. I just did another post on MORE so I hope you're not tired of looking at my pictures.

Mantis, VT Moonlit Dance is fairly compact, at about 24 inches.

Celeste

• shive
    11 years ago

Nice ones! How great to have so many blooming during the late season. I love Pumpkin Time and September Blaze.

Debra