Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Still Blooming in September

shive
11 years ago

Wheel of Time is still going strong with a few buds left on the scape with the two blooms in my photo. Another scape with 18 buds (just in back of the blooms in the photo) has not started blooming yet. Happy Returns and the Stellas are reblooming, and I'm looking forward to blooms soon from a very late blooming seedling, Alan Lane Agin X Cosmic Sensation.

WHEEL OF TIME had twins today. It's had multiple blooms every day for the last week.

Tiger Swallowtail on butterfly bush. I've seen lots of butterflies this week, many different types of swallowtails and the little orange skippers.

Debra

Comments (13)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Thats great Debra to still have blooms here in September.
    Did you get some rain from isaac?

jean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Love those late bloomers. That's a pretty color on the butterfly bush, not to mention a very good picture. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Lovely blooms Debra...and lovely photos.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

WHEEL OF TIME sure is pretty!

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Is this just an early morning picture, or is Wheel of Time slow to open?

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - We are getting scattered showers from Isaac. It's usually just a burst of rain for 4 or 5 minutes.

Mantis - The photo was taken around 1 p.m. It was cloudy and dark most of the morning, and this daylily needs sunshine and heat to open flat. The bloom on the left, which got more light, was open pretty flat. The bloom on the right was partially covered by the other flower, and did not get as much light. Someone else mentioned that their Wheel of Time flowers never fully opened. I'm fine with these blooms as long as I can see the eye pattern. These blooms don't irritate me nearly as much as Old King Cole's. Perhaps I'm not as picky when there are slim pickin's in the garden.

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Great looking bloom for September.
    Linda

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Yeah, my WHEEL OF TIME was not opening as much as I would like. It still needs to settle in since I've only had it for a year now, so I won't give up on it yet. The color pattern in your photo is amazing. If it can open more and have those colors, it's a definite winner.

The only thing still blooming for me is SKINWALKER, on a late rebloom scape. This was August 31, but it also bloomed yesterday and it has a couple more buds.

Nate

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful butterfly and of course WHEEL OF TIME is just so very pretty. Especially this time of year when the daylily blooms are scarce.

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

Gorgeous pic as always! I have a few reblooming seedlings, but thats it.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I too noticed over the past 2 weeks an abundance of butterflies visiting the butterfly bushes. Nice pics!

Julia

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I love the colors on Wheel of Time and the butterfly picture is wonderful.

Celeste

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I like it whether it opened fully or not. Also, I like the golden swallowtail..I've had lots this year too!! Ellie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio