Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Work on Back Yard beds progresses and whats left for blooming

silverkelt
11 years ago

Backyard beds 50% done, but its far enough along now for next year seedlings and thats what I was hoping for the most. Its hard to capture the scale of dirt sometimes.. this is about 30 feet wide by 40 feet long give or take, I should be able to fit around 600 seedlings into this bed give or take next year. I started by weedings about 1k ferms out of this thing, then hauled in about 15 truckloads of compost to mulch it. I started this bed about 3 years ago , its first layering was about 4 inches of horse manure, then another 4 inches of mulch, added another 4 inches of compost mulch this year. Its not really for weed suppression, its more to get earthworms into the beds, without this type of treatment, I have zero activity, next year when Im digging ill see a few in most shovel fulls. Eventually I will make the path go back so we have a good area to enter the 300 acres behind us (wish that was my land, but we have permission to hike it anytime we want)

I have some zinnias, violoas, anemones, blanketflowers, ruds, cosmos left flowering, last daylily bloomed today.. so my season is over.

Another shot of the Asian Fairy Bluebird x Kingdom without end

{{gwi:309242}}

Autumnale Helenium in bloom, great little flowers on a 6 foot plant will last for weeks.

Hot orange zinnia in bloom..

Some of my many pods.. as you can see I dont use tags, my method is fairly simple after talking with one hybridizer.. every flower gets the same cross on one scape, or all scapes. If I have 3 scapes then I can make 3 crosses, other then that its the same one, this happens to be the (chang dynasty x cave creek canyon) x (clouds of glory x fringy) cross, I would love to see those delicate lovely edges on a form similiar to the other. I have about 150 pods forming , Im about a week or two weeks away on collecting. It appears that I will have plenty of time this year.. long range forcast doesnt show a early frost this year. Thankfully.

Pod parent below

x pollen parent

{{gwi:309243}}

Lots more to do!

Silverkelt

Comments (4)