Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Why are there spices in with my daylily seeds?

TNY78
10 years ago

I'm a daylily seed novice, but I have rec'd seeds from about 4 different people...and they've all arrived as seeds in a tiny zip-loc. Today, my seeds arrived in the usual tiny zip-loc, but there was also some kind of kitchen spice (maybe nutmeg?)among other things in with the seeds.What is the purpose for the spices? Also, when I go to germinate the seeds, do I leave the spices in the baggie or remove them? These might be silly questions, but I really just don't know LOL. The only thing I can think of is maybe its to absorb moisture...there was no napkin or papertowel in the bag...

Thanks,
Tammy

Here's what they look like:

Comments (8)

• dementieva
    10 years ago

Yeah, my first thought is also that they put it in as a desiccant.

Nate

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Tammy: I once received seeds like that and I was told it was cinnamon to absorb moisture.
    I typically when harvesting, drying and packaging seeds will put a piece of paper towel in the baggie. No cinnamon.

Julia

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Cinnamon, and some other herbs, are also a fungicide. The oil of nutmeg and mace has been used for its antimicrobial properties. They were probably put in the bag for that reason. Marg

• roxanna
    10 years ago

when i started seeds this past spring (indoors) i sprinkled some ground cinnamon on top of the medium to prevent damping-off. it worked 100%!!! hurrah!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok then.....that's really interesting! I just seemed like a very expensive way to control excess moisture. I guess after I germinate them, and put them in their little growpots, I'll just sprinkle it on the top. The envelope smelled wonderful when I opened it LOL. I'm defnitley learning some new tricks!

Tammy

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

It looks like really fine vermiculite to me in there with your spice(s). I have always received true lily bulbs in damp vermiculite because it doesn't let them dry out. I have never seen it used for daylily seeds though but it would probably absorb any moisture that was present. I would ask the sender for sure what it is.
    Debbie

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vermiculite! That's what's in with it! I knew I had seen it before, but couldn't place it! I've only used it once when I was rooting rose cuttings, but prefer perlite because the drainage is better. But you're right...that's what it is!

I'll be curious when I go to germinate these how they compare to the ones with the papertowels!

Tammy

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

The only difference I found was the ones with cinnamon tended to show more rotted seeds however, that could have just been the way the seller packaged them.
    I've even received seeds without anything in the baggie and they did just fine.

Have fun.
    Julia

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner