Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

end of fall planting season?

ejr2005
10 years ago

I'm pretty new to daylilies but have definitely gotten the bug. I'm just west of Boston in Zone 6a and wanted to take advantage of some of the fall specials.

Do you think its too late to plant?

Comments (2)

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

Hello,
    I asked this a couple of weeks ago. I got some very thoughtful responses. If you search "fall planting", it will come up.

Good luck,
    Gale

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gale. Average first frost for us looks like it's Oct 11-20, so even six weeks before the later date is already past.

I was thinking it was safe to plant before the end of September! I've planted tons of things (not daylilies) much later, even into December and haven't had problems.

I did just receive an order from Maryotts and will be planting them tomorrow. Many of them will be going into an area right by our house (in fact near the chimney) that I will mulch well. I have some tender azaleas there that did well under covers, leaves, and evergreen boughs last year, so I'll do similarly this year.

I was thinking of ordering some from Gilbert Wild - mostly oldies. They're so inexpensive that it wouldn't be terrible if some didn't survive. But they also may be very small and none may survive.