Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
end of fall planting season?

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:50

I'm pretty new to daylilies but have definitely gotten the bug. I'm just west of Boston in Zone 6a and wanted to take advantage of some of the fall specials.

Do you think its too late to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: end of fall planting season?

Hello,
I asked this a couple of weeks ago. I got some very thoughtful responses. If you search "fall planting", it will come up.

Good luck,
Gale

o
RE: end of fall planting season?

Thanks Gale. Average first frost for us looks like it's Oct 11-20, so even six weeks before the later date is already past.

I was thinking it was safe to plant before the end of September! I've planted tons of things (not daylilies) much later, even into December and haven't had problems.

I did just receive an order from Maryotts and will be planting them tomorrow. Many of them will be going into an area right by our house (in fact near the chimney) that I will mulch well. I have some tender azaleas there that did well under covers, leaves, and evergreen boughs last year, so I'll do similarly this year.

I was thinking of ordering some from Gilbert Wild - mostly oldies. They're so inexpensive that it wouldn't be terrible if some didn't survive. But they also may be very small and none may survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here