Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on backyard beds.. a really nice cosmos

Posted by silverkelt Z5b/Southern Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 17:51

Im around 90% done now, need some more rocks to finish off the bed and some more cutting back of things in the back to have a nice path back into the woods. This took about 30 truckloads of compost, with about 300 shovel fulls to fill, 300 to unload unto the wheelbarrow and then haul back.. I have to tell you I was sweating and sweating doing this. Didnt help it decided to be "nice" this week. I wouldve been satisfied with overcast and chilly.

Sorry for the shadows, its already starting to get dark early, its not even 6 pm now and the sun is competely behind the trees already. Such is life in the north.. I cant imagine living even further north really.

Photobucket

I cant remember the name of this cosmos, I planted this pring, its pretty , its smaller then some of the other cosmos Ive grown, Its nice its weaving out of some other types of cosmos, not sure I wouldve stuck my head over that way if they werent blooming as well.

Photobucket

Silverkelt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on backyard beds.. a really nice cosmos

That bed is great. The rocks really set it off. The soil looks great.
It will be worth all that sweat.
Cindy

o

They may have been a lot of work but your new beds are going to be worth the work once all those DL's are planted and start to bloom.
Linda

o

That is a pretty Cosmos. Can't wait to see your new be in bloom next year!

o

Your woods look like my woods and I completely understand how much work it is to put in a new garden bed up here in the north. Roots, stumps and rocks everywhere so we have to truck in dirt by the backbreaking wheelbarrow load. Every single one of my dozens of garden beds I made myself out of rocks, raised up and filled with loam. When people see my garden they naturally assume my husband did all the work, but no....I do it all myself. He just mows the lawn.
I just got done with my own backbreaking projects of building 2 more raised rock beds so my back is hurting right along with yours!

Celeste

o

I'm with you on just how much work goes into creating new beds not to mention the ones you have to maintain. It is worth it in the end. Great job.
And yes, it is sad how it gets dark earlier now.8:00pm it is dark here already. :-(.

Julia

o

Your new beds look terrific and I know the daylilies will love it. I know what you mean about it getting dark too early now. It's getting dark at 6:00 here. We also have EEE in this state so even with using Deet every time I'm in the yard I figure it's best to get inside when it starts getting dark.
Val

o

It's looking good silvertkelt. Now, I will wait for you to fill it up...LOL!! Ellie

o

Once again, I am green with rock envy. I agree with Ellie...it will be fun for all of us to watch this bed fill up!
Kathy

o

Just planted about a 100 daffodill bulbs, some tulips and a few of the giant allium types. Ive never grown the allium, so will see how it looks. My plan will be to put about 300 -500 bulbs in here for some early season stuff. I love daffs anyways, since you just plant them and you dont have to do much else ever again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here