Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Late blooming seedling

shive
11 years ago

Here's the ffo with twins on Cosmic Sensation X Alan Lane Agin (5-way branching with 18 buds)

Comments (13)

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Very pretty! Nice to still have some blooming.

Nancy

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Isn't that pretty! A really nice one to bloom this late.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful seedling, Debra.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oH DEBRA, That is a gorgeous bloom. love its color

jean

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Very very pretty my favorite colors.
    Linda

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Is this a first year boom? It will be interesting to see if the edge gets more defined next year. Even if it doesn't-it's still very pretty. Most of the very lates I have are light pink, it's nice to see a different color.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Ooh La La....that is gorgeous! You have the prettiest 'babies' Debra. Do you ever register any of your seedlings or sell them? And do you think it is a 'late' or is it just blooming now because it's a baby?
    I haven't gotten into hybridizing (yet) but I do have some unregistered & unnamed seedlings I bought and when they bloomed this year I was very pleased. They aren't fancy by any means but are robust and have nice bold color. I assume I can give them a garden name since I'm not registering them, correct?

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments! I was very pleased with the color, branching and bud count on that one.

Lisa - The seedling is about a year and a half old now, but this is the first time it's bloomed. Considering night temps were in the 50s, I was pleased with the flat opening and the initial edge. I'm hoping in hotter temps the edge will have more teeth and baubles.

Celeste - I don't know if this one will be a true late or not. I'll have to wait until next year to find out. The parents are both midseason bloomers. I've just registered my first seedling this summer, and it will be for sale in the spring. I'll be posting pics of it and revealing the name soon. It's a purple one too.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I'm bringing up the rear on this thread. Not sure how I missed it but Debra, you are lucky to have bloom on a seedling this late and 18 buds to boot. Nice bluish edging too. Congrats.

Mine appear all to be quite content to show nothing more this season.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Great looking seedling, Debra. If it continues to be late you really have something special.
    Val

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Beautiful seedling, and very nice opening! Speaking of its parents, I already asked somewhere, maybe you can help me. How to pronounce Linda Agin's last name correctly?
    Congratulations on your first registered daylily!

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Val - I don't know if it will be late or not. I've never had a seedling bloom for the first time in September. My lates usually bloom at the end of June and in July.

Nat - Agin is pronounced like this: Long A as in hay - gin like grin minus the r.

Debra

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

Nice one, Debra. Congrats!
    Kathy