Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

to Part III of my favorites

Nancy
9 years ago

Been a busy weekend, & I finally got time to battle with Photobucket to post :)

Sabine Baur seems to be doing much better for me now, the first year I had it, we had a really wet spring & it didn't like being waterlogged. Took a year to recover & this year it did really well

San Ignatio is such a lovely pink & blooms for a really long time
{{gwi:660151}}

Shutterbug is another great plant, nice big flowers that really attract attention
{{gwi:660158}}

I never see anyone with Skipjack. I almost lost this one last summer to crown rot, only 1 fan survived, but it bloomed this year. I've had it for years & would have been sad to lose it

Smoky Mountain Autumn
{{gwi:660163}}

touched by Grace looks like several others out there, but its flowers always look good
{{gwi:657360}}

Velvet Eyes, just love the color on it

Finally, Westborne Easter Egg Hunt, always opens nicely, looked much more blue this year

Comments (17)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Nancy; You have some very pretty daylilies. Love that
    San Ignatio. Such a pretty pink.Glad you was able to save
    Skipjack as its such a pretty one,I had never heard of it before.Thank you for posting these beauties,They are all gorgeous.

jean

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

San Ignacio is my favorite of your beauties. Such a delicate pink! Glad you are posting, i am missing the daily pics now that the season is ending : (

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

They are all very nice. My favorite is Sabine Baur. Great color!
    Brad

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Not surprised that others don't have Skipjack, as Bennett cultivars are not well distributed. Very nice pics, but I can tell the difference in climates. San Ignacio here never had but a few buds, though it multiplied--a typical evergreen story. Touched by Grace has struggled, may have given up the ghost. And Velvet Eyes has always been weak and puny. Sabine Baur does perform well here.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jean, I am so glad I didn't completely lose Skipjack. I was so shocked to go from a large clump to a single puny fan, but at least it is doing well now.
    The forum is really slow now Sherry, I really miss all the photos too.
    Thank you Brad. Sabine Baur is starting to be a large enough clump that it is showing off, & really looked good this year. It didn't rebloom, but it did have lots of buds & bloomed for quite a long while.
    It does surprise me that San Ignacio & Touched by Grace don't do as well farther north, they do so well for me. I think I'm fortunate to be more centralized. We do get low temps in winter, rarely below 0 though. I can tell a difference in some of the evergreens, but usually they survive fine. And I don't have that problem of rust that is so prevalent a little farther south. Generally, i guess dormants do a little better for me, but not always the case. I do seem to lose a few daylilies to crown rot each summer, if I could just learn how to prevent that, I'd be one happy gardener.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Nancy-I too like being centrally located [central KY near Lexington]. I have both evergreens and dormants and have only lost maybe two daylilies in all the years I've been in KY [21] and these were young ones someone sent me. In that horrible drought several years back a few daylilies dwindled badly, but came back.
    Brad

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

These are all so pretty Nancy! I have Sabine but mine did not bloom it's first year or this one (it's second)....so it better bloom next year! Yours is stunning. I love the pink of San Ignatio and Smoky Mountain Autumn is a lovely color. (Was that one on your list? If so I should have gotten it when I had the chance...lol).

Celeste

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I lost a few that summer, Brad, I seem to lose a few every year to crown rot. Frustrating. Only lost 1 this year though, & it is one that has been struggling for years so good riddance. I'm not sure why I have such a problem with crown rot, must be something with my soil.
    Celeste, I'm not sure if Smoky Mountain Autumn was on that list, but I'm it can be next year :)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

In the North, one does not necessarily "lose" evergreens; rather, they may just languish without blooming well. I've heard that dormants can do the same thing in the South, but have no experience with that. Thus, San Ignacio grew well here, but I wasn't interested in just leaves.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

How wonderful to still be looking at daylily pictures this late in the season. Pansies are just starting to show up so our main growing season is almost over. Sabine Bauer is a looker, and Velvet Eyes made me go back and look at her twice. Smokey Mountain Autumn was always my latest bloomer here sometimes blooming into September. Finally I like San Ignatio - nicely pink and frilly.......Maryl

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl, my daylily season is over too, I just never seemed to have time to post while they were blooming. Really only starting going through my photos a couple of weeks ago. Next year I think I'm going to focus on taking more clump shots.
    My very latest bloomer this year was Lemon Krinkles (crinkles?) had its last bloom yesterday, :( It seems like such a long time til next year's blooms, but I have some new plants & new blooms to anticipate!

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Nancy,
    When I plant my daylilies I buy top soil with manure from Lowes. I think this allows more air to flow around the daylily which may keep away crown rot. This is just a guess. The Ky clay dirt is nasty. [the rest of the bed is the clay--too expensive to buy dirt for a whole bed].
    Brad

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Generally, my soil looks good. I have clay at the edge of my property, streaks here & there, but generally it is loose, dark soil. Most plants do well, I actually have better luck with picky plants.
    I have started adding my own compost to the soil when I move or add new plants. I've mulched, I've not mulched, they seemed to do better with the mulch. I've heard that you need to pull the mulch away from the plant in summer to allow for better circulation, but didn't learn that til late this year. Mulch seemed to help, I haven't lost as many since I've been mulching.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

All beautiful Nancy. I've almost eliminated all of my Westbournes here. I think I have only 3 or 4 left out of 8 I originally bought from MaryJane.

Also, plant your daylilies further apart for good air circulation. What looks like empty space will fill up fast in a year or two with most daylilies. I tend to over plant for a more full look but then pay the price in 2 years having to move plants.

Julia

• Nancy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm learning that Julia, I do have my daylilies planted pretty close. I moved a lot of them this year, often just a few inches just to make them look better, but now I'm thinking I should have moved them farther apart. I've often started out as a single fan, looks so puny when I planted so I've planted too close. As you say, it doesn't take long & it is spilling into the next plant. I still have more to do, but that will have to wait til next year.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Lovely! I think Smoky Mountain Autumn is my favorite of the group, but Sabine Baur looks especiaily nice too.

• User
    9 years ago

It's such a pleasure to see some colorful blooms this time of year. Sabine Baur is fantastic and I'm glad to hear that it is growing well for someone in Ohio. I'll have to move it up on the list of must haves for next year. I also really like the form and color combination of Shutterbug. It is so beautiful.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor