Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Just chatting and a couple of non daylily pics

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

We got 2 inches of rain here last night from a storm that came through in the evening. Wow, my large bird bath is half full, rain barrel is full and overflowed and the plants are already enjoying the soaking.

I've seen a couple more scapes coming up while taking out dead scapes. I started weeding again since the ground is so easy to work in. Tomorrow I have to start early digging out more plants before the hot/humid weather returns again.

Since Photobucket is still down for me, I'll have to post individual pics.

First up

Clematis Rebecca on rebloom. Just an amazing red color.

Still a bit short for the trellis and I'm thinking of replacing it with a taller one. Next year.....

Comments (15)

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clematis Huldine reblooming. I love this one. Very tall and I think next year, it will go over the top of the trellis.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I still do have a couple of rose bushes but somehow these are surviving. Something though has been chewing on the leaves.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The other one that has managed to stay alive.Both the red and white bloom on and off since early summer. I guess this must be their last hurray.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've spotted bucks (and doe) in our back field over the past couple of weeks.
    That is it for tonight.
    Julia

• shive
    11 years ago

I love that red clematis! And your deer photo is fabulous.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Just hope that that buck stays in the back field. It amazes me that with all your daylilies the deer stay away.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I love the Rebecca clematis, what a great color! The picture of the stag is really nice. You say something is eating your rose, do you mean those half circles cut into it? Those are from leaf cutter bees. They take the piece of leaf to line their nests, usually in a plant with a hollow stem. Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bucks don't come in close and stay pretty much at the very back of the first field by the stream area. Beyond the stream is another field of trees, grass, etc. I'm sure they are camping out back there ;-). Here is another pic from a couple of weeks ago when we had 3 of them back there. I only was able to get 2 together in the same photo.

Marg: I have to look up leaf cutter bees. We do have alot of bees here. If you look at the pic with the red roses and to the right of the bloom, you see only a vein piece of a leaf as well as many of the leaves have those holes in them.

Julia

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

What great pictures! I am drooling over your clematis picture. I've wanted to try growing it for so long, but am afraid it won't survive here in my zone. If it would, I'd probably having it growing everywhere I could find a spot! Love it!

Nancy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy: I don't see why clematis wouldn't grow for you. Most are hardy to zone 10.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Julia, do you have a dog in the yard?The deer love roses and dayliliesI am surprised you have a single flower left.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean: The deer usually stay in the field and only the young ones tend to jump the fence and start browsing the menu LOL.
    Knock on wood they haven't damaged anything so far this year but you just never know.

Julia

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Julia, I thought it was too warm here for clematis. I've never seen it in anyone's garden, and seldom see it for sale except at Lowe's and Home Depot in those boxes. Did you buy Clematis Rebecca at a nursery on-line?

Nancy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy: Yes. If you go to the GW Clematis Forum you'll find folks in similar zone to you. Also there is a thread on that forum that discusses recommended online sellers.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Clematis Forum

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Wow I love your clematis especially the first one such a pretty color.
    Linda