Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Blooming the Last Two Weeks

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I have one plant, Inca Puzzle that has put up a very late rebloom spike. If it makes it and blooms, I will post a picture of a bloom. Otherwise, this is my last post for daylilies blooming in August and September:

Walter Kennedy was another plant that was much prettier on rebloom...no slugs, I guess:

Choral Fantasy on rebloom:

Brave World on rebloom:

Salty Skipper- third set of scapes:

Pirate King - much prettier on rebloom:

Abilene Lillian, finishing up:

Filled to Overflowing -last bloom:

Moses in the Bullrushes - several rebloom scapes:

Intelligent Design - finishing rebloom:

Ledgewoods Jumpstart:

a good bloomer and rebloomer here:

South seas - bloomed on and on:

Purple Honey Creeper - champion of long time bloom since it bloomed heavily three times:

Spacecoast Eye for Passion- last bloom:

And Parrot Jungle, last bloom of this set:

Last bloom show of this very long season. Three plants were blooming their last today, and only Inca Puzzle remains. It's been four...

Comments (9)

• hostabff
    10 years ago

Kay, I'm very impressed with all the daylilies you still have blooming. You must have the perfect growing zone for daylilies. This season seemed short to me. Jam All Night was probably my longest bloomer - the last two flowers bloomed yesterday. My latest bloomer is Fat Lady Sings. It is blooming right now, however the flowers are always spotty and look terrible. I plan to pull it this fall to make room for something better.

I lover your Parrot Jungle and the Purple Honey Creeper. They are beautiful. I'm trying Parrot Jungle - however I was told it did not perform well in zone 5. I'll see how it does in my zone 6. I wish we had reblooms up north like you have...I don't think I have ever had anything rebloom. Enjoy your remaining blooms! Robyn

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

PURPLE HONEY CREEPER has been a bloom machine for you and very pretty, too.my last reward still has 3 buds left to bloom on it.its been blooming a long time, too.7you still have pretty blooms to post today..I only have 2 blooms right now on last reward.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am almost through...I hope. Robyn, I ma just beginning to be able to sleep a little later. during the season, I get up by 0600, since the blooms don't photograph nearly so well when the sun is on them. As for the areas, I don't know, but Billingsly in his daylily book said that Alabama is the perfect climate for daylilies. Pure dumb luck, that's all it is. By the way, Parrot Jungle has always done well for me, but Dan Trimmer told me (in reply to an email) that he had not intended it to be grown for itself, but for hybridization. I like it.

Thanks, Jean. Purple Honey Creeper has been a bloom machine. I hope you get some more blooms.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Pirate King is onemy favorites. I really like Ledgewood's Jump Start...Ellie

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are beautiful! And what a long season you have. Pirate King, Parrot Jungle and Abilene Lilian are my three favorites.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Wow Kay, your still getting some very pretty blooms.Purple Honey Creeper is gorgeous.

Finally able to type with both hands again since they took the cast off but I've got to wear a splint for certain activities. Still not allowed to do gardening work and the weeds are taking over. At least I don't have to wear the splint all the time just when I'm out and about. Precautionary measure while the bone heals. Rebloom here too this year. We actually had our first frost warning last week. No frost here and it seems we are in for some high temps this week before we take another dip down.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for looking and commenting. No, no. I don't still have this many blooming. In fact, I am down to four still blooming and they are on their last one or two. These were the ones blooming (and blooming out) over the last two weeks. Ellie, Jumpstart was a very slow starter, but it blooms really well now.. Nat4b, it has been a little too long...and it is still so hot! Julia, I am so glad you are able to move a bit more freely. I have no excuse for not weeding except the heat, but it is keeping me inside. One good thing, the tomatoes and cucumbers are still giving me goodies which I love.

Inca Puzzle has a scape, and if and when it opens, I will post a photo of it, and that should end my season.

kay

• shive
    10 years ago

You've had a wonderful variety blooming this late. My favorites are Walter Kennedy and Abilene Lillian. Purple Honey Creeper is always a standout too!

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Lots of nice ones to bloom so late. I've always liked the color on Brave World, but I don't think mine has ever rebloomed. Salty skipper, one of these days I'm gonna get that one! I'm seeing rebloom scapes on 3 or 4 this week. Orange Velvet has 4 scapes yet to open. Two of my nicer seedlings are reblooming very nicely, & I saw a scape on something else but can't bring it to mind right now. One year Beautiful Edgings was on its 3rd set of blooms when the frost took out the last of the blooms. It has never bloomed so nicely since, I don't think it has even rebloomed since that year. I rarely have anything blooming in Sept & really enjoying it.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner