Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Isabel Hibbard Intros for Late and Extra Late Blooms

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I am going to be one very busy bee planting new daylilies in the next few days.

My plan of extending the daylily bloom season here by adding more true late and very late blooming daylilies took a big step in the right direction today when I went and picked up the daylilies that I had ordered from local Long Island Hybridizer Isabel Hibbard in Farmingdale, Long Island, who specializes in hybridizing for true late and very late

daylilies. My garden is more north shore and hers more south shore but

August blooming there will be August blooming here which is exactly what I have been looking for. 36 new late bloomers will be added to my garden and all but one, SANDRA ELIZABETH, are Hibbard Intros.

Hers what I got-

Mini Flowers-

MERRY MUNCHKIN (late)

REBECCA ANN DEAN (late)

Mid Late-

NO PUEDE SER

CHARISMA PLUS

WINGED DOVE

Lates-

AUTUMN FAIR (bonus plant 2007)

LATE SESSION (listed as Late Season 2006)

AMBER FINALE

APRICOTE AFTERGLOW

COUNTDOWN TO FALL

EXIT STRATEGY

FAREWELL PARTY

FINAL CIRCLE

IMPERIAL BALL

LAST CREAMSICLE

LATEBREAKING NEWS

LATE HARVEST

MULTIPLE PERSONALITY

MUSIC OF THE NIGHT

TOKAY WINE

WHAT PRICE GLORY

Very Lates-

FAMOUS LAST WORDS (bonus plant 2006)

LATE WONDER 2007

AMOR ULTIMA

END OF STORY

FINAL ANSWER

FOREGONE CONCLUSION

LAST LAUGH

LAST WALTZ

LATE INTERLUDE

LATE ROUND

SEASONS END

SEPTEMBER SERENADE

Very Very Lates-

FINIAL FRONTIER

SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER (2007)

As I knew I was going to be picking them up today for several weeks, I have been busy planning and measuring were these will be going. The bulk will go in a new two row section that is going to be added to that daylily garden in the backyard called the cosmos garden. Another big section will be a row in the front yard near were my new row of Westbourne daylilies are planted, they will actually be further up the hill in what will ultimately be the third row of daylilies out in that section of the front.

These are all nice green fans, smaller than the large size I am used to getting from southern growers but dug from ordinary garden soil. I am sure they will take off nicely.

Of course I got the garden tour while I was out there. The daylilies are grown in a normal garden setting in clumps and when they grow enough to divide, she sells some. No lining out like in a more commercial sales garden.

When I was deciding on my selections, there were some that she was out of as she did not have enough fans to sell at this time. Now she is out of lots and lots more as I got the last fans to be sold of many of the intros for many years until they increase again. Apparently its slow going to get big clumps for sales. No way of knowing by looking at her website whatÂs not available as she does not note it on there.

I also saw many pictures taken of the blooms on her computer which are new digital pictures and the flowers were quite lovely. Apparently the pictures currently on the website are mostly photographs scanned in and the colors are not the best true representations.

Comments (33)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Rita,
    Wow you are going to be as busy planting as I am. I know season extending is what you want so I hope this does it for you.

It sounds as if you have everything all planned out, which is great. Congratulation on working your plan
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hibbard Sale-

Isabel is having a sale and gave me information in case I knew of anyone interested.

It is 25 named daylilies for $100.00 plus shipping of $15.00.

She had a list but as they got sold out others were substituted. Some older better known varieties such as RED VOLUNTEER, STRAWBERRY CANDY, RASPBERRY CANDY, some of her intros and such. Anyone interested e-mail her for list.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My plans for bloom, bloom and more bloom, have not worked out all exactly as I planned as yet. For instance, rebloom. I don't know how much I will get. So I decided to go season extending. Will see what I think of my season extenders next year when they all bloom. My approach is basicly the old throw enough blank-blank at the wall and eventually some of it will stick.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

Oh My Goodness Rita,You are going to be a very b usy lady getting all them daylilies planted.Wish I could be outside planting too right now,but still trying to get over Pneumonia.Have done so m uch coughing my throat is raw and nearly swollen shut.So am not wanting to do anything to make it worse. Gee,Can't wait to see your photos of all these new daylilies when they bloom.They going to be gorgeous.

Jean

• albertar
    15 years ago

Hi Rita
    Thanks for posting that link, its good to know that that on Long Island there are at least 2 hybridizers, Isabel and Montauk Day lily for local viewing and buying. I'm pretty much finished with buying this year, but will be looking foreward to spring buying in '09.

Alberta

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are actually more hybridizers on Long Island. This past summer one of them was on our Long Island Daylily Society members only tour so I did get to visit this stunning garden. Lots of UFOs here.

• albertar
    15 years ago

Thanks for that link Rita, some of their d/l's are stunning!

Alberta

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are my sorted and soaking plants from Isabel.

Its funny she has two gardens, one at her house and another I can't remember were she told me. But the other garden she said the daylilies grow like crazy because they use lots of composted horse manure. That second garden is were she is growing those daylilies that are in her sale.

I don't know why she doesn't do the same thing at home and use some of the horse manure as it would certainly help them grow larger and increase much more quickly.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got one row in the backyard of Hibbard daylilies planted yesterday plus the Paul Owen daylilies. I had planned on continueing my daylily planting today but the work crew showed up with the compost for my planter box and rocks for my pond project so daylily planting got pushed back. They are doing fine soaking.

I did take a good look at the ones I planted yesterday using lots of bagged manure and I swear they look better already. I think they will settle in just fine.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After a break of afew days were I was not planting any daylilies while the pond was being worked on, I am back to planting daylilies again today. I want to get finished for this year. It has been a long haul and between my spring planting and my fall planting I have managed to add approx 200 daylilies this year. I can hardly believe it myself.

I got the second of the two Hibbard planned rows extending the cosmos garden planted just now. Going back outside to get some more planted while I still have energy left. Its just glorious outside today.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I want some of those energy pills you are taking Rita. I potted up a half a dozen daylilies yesterday, along with trying to finish up the last fertilization on my roses for the year and I was pooped out by dinner time. Thanks for the link too. It's nice to see names of hybridizers I'm not overly familiar with. Doesn't do my pocketbook any good, but still an interesting browse for this winter.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is picture of the expanded cosmos garden with those two rows of Hibbard intros added.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are having some kind of weather front moving in, been cloudy and windy all day. Suppossed to start raining overnight and rain all day tomorrow. I figgured I had better get going and plant some more of those daylilies as they sure were not going to plant themselves.

So I got a row done in the front yard were I had planned on putting some. Had to do some prep work at the area to get it more even and level. Thats the spot in the front yard were a row of roses came out and now a row of late blooming daylilies went in.

Got ten planted today, then I got them all mulched and also got the two rows in the backyard mulched that I had already planted before today. I want to be ready for the rain.

I have 7 more of those late bloomers left to plant yet and then I will be done planting. Since I don't have any more daylilies coming this fall, I figgure it will not be too big a job to finish up.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maryl- Don't I wish I had more energy but lately I am just always tired. Not sleeply, just tired. I used to be able to do so much more in the garden and not feel it like I do now. Getting old.

Every year around this time I am sick of planting and don't want to do anymore but this year wasn't really that bad. Mostly because I wisely (for once) did not keep buying plants all summer long so that I did not have to plant all summer long the way I usually do. In fact the summer break from no planting of daylilies got me all charged up to buy more and plant again this late august and september. I had not originally planned on doing that. But I am glad I did, I should have a very interesting bloom season next year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cosmos bed with the two rows of Hibbards added and mulched.

Heres the row of Hibbard intros that went into the front yard.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was out today (after the rain) looking at all the Hibbard intros that I had planted and they are really looking good. They must really like my ammended soil as they are extra green and growing like crazy.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Rita,

Your yard is going to be beyond stunning next year. So much hard work, but the rewards should be incredible. It looks really good now, can't wait to see what it looks like next summer!

Julie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Isabel Hibbard puts up her new intros for the year in the fall so just recently she updated her website with the 2008 intros. Two are very late which is what I look for from her as I do not know many places to buy September blooming daylilies.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Been checking the progrees of those Hibbard intros I put in last September. Actually, who am I kidding, I have been checking on the growth of ALL my daylilies already this spring, but since I planted these later than I usually like to be doing mass plantings (it was September already) I was especially interested in how they are doing. I need them to do well, I have put great big hopes on them to put late bloom into my garden.

The good part for them is that they went into nice rich heavily compost enriched soil and seemed to be really happy putting on lots of new growth last fall. Seem to be all coming up now and as they are dormants, are slower getting going than those plateau evergreens.

I really can not remember how many fans I had in each clump so not sure if they have increased or not but nice new green growth is good.

• fairysoapgirl_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Hey Rita,
    I wanted to see how these are doing for you? I was going to order some for fall - want to extend my season. Was thinking of the following, and will be looking at your photos if you get blooms!!

END OF STORY
    FINAL ANSWER
    IMPERIAL BALL
    LAST CHAPTER (YOU DIDN'T GET THIS ONE?)
    LATE INTERLUDE
    MUSIC OF THE NIGHT

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle- There were a bunch I wanted but she did not have enough of to sell. I have a deposit on a bunch on back order and should be getting more from her this fall. If she has all of my backorders or not I wouldn't know until later. These are the ones I have on backorder and LAST CHAPTER is one of them.

AUTUMN REVERIE (late)
    CLOSING BELL 2006 (very late)
    CRIMSOM FINALE (very late)
    FAREWELL KISS (very late)
    NEW ATTITUDE (late)
    PURPLE SUEDE (late)
    HARLEQUINS FALL PARADE (LATE)
    HASTA LA VISTA BABY (very, very late)
    LAST CHAPTER (very late)

I have only had afew bloomers on Isobels intros as they are late and very late daylilies. I intend to do a separate picture post of her intros when they get going but have to wait.

I must say so far everything that has started blooming (not many yet) is so much prettier than the pictures on her website.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

I figured you didn't have many blooms yet... but I guess that is good because it means they are REALLY late bloomers, not just listed that way.

There are so many of hers I like, but I have to be realistic about my space and $, so I picked mostly Tets, as one of my hybridizing goals is to go for L/VL pinks and purples with heavier texture.

I am sure you noticed the limited quantity of nice edged, textured pink/lav/purple L/VL when you were looking around. Not too many, but hers look very nice.

I saw a few of hers in your gardens, and the flowers/photos were so much better than what she has represented on her site!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just went out and toured the parts of the garden that have the Hibard intros planted. I looked for scapes. Only afew have had open blooms so far, I believe that was only 4 of them out of if I remember correctly 36. Then there are others that are showing scapes but don't look like they are gonna bloom yet and the majority are not showing scapes at all. The fans are big enough to bloom so I am thinking that the scapes are still to come. At least thats what I am hoping. She has lots of August and late August bloomers into September.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle- We must have cross posted. Her pictures, to put it bluntly, are terrible. When I was there last year picking up my daylilies (only 20 minutes away) she showed me newer pictures of many on her computer and you would not believe the difference. If I remember correctly, most of the pictures are scanned in from copies of copies because thats what she had to use at the time the website was done.

I know personally that they are truely lates and not just listed as lates as her garden is local to mine and that bloom in August there will be August here. Not sure how it would work out way down south but at least they would bloom after most of the others.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You might also want to look at the Dale Thomas intros offered by Perfect Perrenials. You have to send for their catalog, which has no pictures.

I don't know which are dips and which are tets as I never pay any attention as I don't hybridize. Just pick pretty flowers.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Rita, I like what I see from Dale Thomas also... but there is no contact information. If you have it, could you email it to me?

Thanks for going out and taking a peek! (I'm sure I twisted your arm!)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Write and ask for a Catalog0

Perfect Perennials
    3210 Ruppert RD
    York, PA 17408

Or e-mail Diane at both these
    kendig@hardyhems.com
    hemdig@comcast.net

Sometimes they don't work and bounce back. she takes days to get back with her e-mail enquires so simply writing might be best. I just picked the late and very late Dale Thomas 2009 intros sight unseen. No pictures in the catalog and only those few up on the website although lots more are offered.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had two more FFO on two Hibbard intros today. FINAL CIRCLE and FAREWELL PARTY both bloomed but were so slug eatten that I didn't even try to get a picture.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Need to bump up this old post to keep it on the forum.

Hi Guys!

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Hey Rita! Sure would be nice to see that bed all grown up! Hint, hint!

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I agree! :)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Hay Rita! How goes it/
    kay

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I am a little jeaulous of you all. I am planting but they are my seedlings. hopefully , they will make it through the winter.

Rita, you are going to be as busy as a bee, making honey!

Ellie