Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jolly Red Giant

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 20:17

I'm putting together an order and came across this ufo. I was astonished to see that it's 5'8" tall! That must be quite a sight!! My question is should these giant scapes be staked? How do you deal with a daylily that tall? The more I think about it the more I want it. Plus its branching/bud count is 6/56. Does anyone grow this fella and have this kind of performance?

Thanks!
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jolly Red Giant

I don't Sherry but for sure if it was here, it would have to be staked. I have a LOT of wind here so don't buy the tall ones...Sorry i'm no help...Ellie

o

Ellie, do people actually stake daylilies? I think I would find a sheltered spot for this one as well. Hopefully, someone grows it.

Sherry

o

Sherry,
I think it would depend on how thick the scapes were as to whether it would require staking or not. At one time I had decided to buy that one, and actually located it, but decided I liked them better in my garden if they weren't so tall.

Island Time is my tallest, and I tended to focus on the ones in front (and much shorter) so have many fewer shots of it. But please post pics of blooms if you get it!

kay

o

Pat sent this to me as a bonus the first year it came out and although it was registered at that height and apparently grew that tall in FL, it has never grown that tall here in VA. At best, it might have grown 44-48" in years when we had ample water. I might have gotten rid of it but I moved it to a place when it blooms right along with some yellow Asiatic lilies ( it is an early bloomer here) and the combo looks good, so it stays. BTW, it has never needed staking. The only daylily which seems to need that here is gary Schaben's Northwind Drifter. Usually those with the tendency to lean or have weak scapes do better in full sun.

o

Kay, I love the colors of Island Time. It's only an inch shorter than JRG. I found a post from 2009 in which you mentioned it. I'm guessing you don't stake it.

Sherry

o
RE: Jolly Red Giant2

Thanks, Floota, that's very interesting. Does it put on a show?

Sherry

o

Here are a couple of pictures of JRG.
First, on a rainy morning but it shows the yellow lilies it is paired with.

JOLLY RED 2

More typical look in the sun:

JOLLY RED GIANT 1

Rather ordinary actually IMHO but can look good depending on companion plants near it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here