Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Garden Swan Song

mantis__oh
9 years ago

It has been warm here, above average, and there are even some new daylily scapes. But the great displays in the gardens now are cannas and dahlias.

AC Lavender

Alpen X

Whithelm's Pride

Taboo

Richard Rehig

Sea Electra

Wyoming Wedding

Korb's Summer Gala

Strawberry Delight

Browallia loving cooler fall weather

A blowsy petunia still making a display

Pink Sunburst

A sprawling begonia

And a silly dog

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 6:31

Comments (11)

• growgirl
    9 years ago

That is one classy Beagle! I really enjoy the pictures. It is nice to see color.... Especially the dahlias, love them ALL. They are some of the only blooms I have left in the yard :(

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Hey, he is protecting his vision. I really like the dahlias.

kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Wow. may not have blooming daylilies, but, them other blooms are gorgeous. Love dahlia's. your canna's are pretty, too.I use to have a bunch of them also, but, finally got them all killed out. They attracts snakes, here and I am terrified of snakes.That begonia is very pretty.Thank you, for posting these gorgeous photos.I injoyed them very much.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Love the puppy picture - "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille"...........Aren't those Dahlias beautiful. Many years ago I stumbled into a Dahlia show and was dumb founded. Who knew that Dahlias could be so varied and beautiful? I like all of yours, with maybe Alpen X taking center stage....Cannas aren't my thing, but the foliage alone on Pink Sunburst really sets it apart......You have some really nice plants in bloom. Glad you took the time to show them....Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

lol, love the beagle pic :) It got warm here too but the nights are still down in the 50's and no rain for over a week now. Not good as it doesn't look like we will get rain for another week or so. Leaves are changing quickly.

I wish I had thought to grow dahlias so maybe next year.They are stunning. Recommendations?

I use to grow cannas but lost most of mine last year.

Julia

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Lots of beautiful flowers! Thanks for sharing.
    Brad

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl, I actually think that a dahlia show would be more interesting than a daylily show. As a cut flower, no matter how well groomed, daylilies to me are boring. Those who show dahlias often use elaborate tenting to protect their prize flowers. They're even more fanatic than daylily people.

Julia, with all your new space, you should grow dahlias. Your climate is ideal, and they are not on the deer preferred menu list.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 18:16

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Beautiful array of flowers and your dog is awesome - too cool for school :o)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Beautiful dahlias! Mine are blooming & I thought they looked great, but yours are stunning. Lost all my cannas overwinter, I rather miss them. That's one cool beagle

• User
    9 years ago

The pup is too cute.

The big pink dahlias are great. We used a similar dahlia in the bouquets for my daughter's wedding this summer.

Bridesmaid Bouquet (my youngest in on the far left)

Bridal Bouquet

• shive
    9 years ago

The dog photo steals the show! All of the dahlias are gorgeous, and I love the color on the Strawberry Delight!

Debra