Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Seedling Comparison

katlynn719
11 years ago

By request, I thought I'd post a comparison between seedlings from a cross I made in 2010 - TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD. As you can tell by their numbers, they all bloom about the same time, late in our season (100617=2010year/06June/07day). Originally, I had 15+ seedlings in this cross. I kept 5 because they showed some rust resistance and had pretty faces. I'll post two pics of each.

This first one has the best plant habits, a decent scape and it multiplies like a weed. It is my favorite in this cross.

100617 TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD

This next one looks more like Trahlyta. It has an interesting face, but a short scape.

100603 TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD

This next one also blooms on a short scape and the eyezone sometimes looks blueish early in the morning.

100607 TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD

{{gwi:969235}}

{{gwi:969489}}

Here's another one that multiplies well and looks more like Trahlyta.

100622 TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD

This last one has a pretty face and also multiplies well.

100626 TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD

I didn't keep track of scape height or bud counts, because all of these were moved last year. I'll pay closer attention in 2013 so that I can choose which ones to keep.

Kathy

Comments (9)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

They are all very lovely. I have both of those parents here but never thought to do a cross of them since LH blooms later here and T is already done blooming. I'll pay closer attention to them both next season. If you decide to test them out here in the north, let me know :D.

Julia

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I like your seedlings! Looks like Trahlyta throws some really nice kids. I just bought her this year and hope to use her next year. My favorites of your seedlings are #2, 5 and 1, and that's going by the flower. For me I like the shape and coloring of #2 best, #5 also has a very pleasing shape. What are the bud counts on these? Marg

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Very pretty. I like the first one best.
    kay

• Ed
    11 years ago

Very nice group of seedlings. Very good color clarity on all. I think I like the flower form and colors best on 100607.
    I think the first test is to compare each seedling to its parents. Is it at least equal in vigor and habit to them. If not, then I probably won't keep it long. I suggest giving vigor at least as much weight as pretty flower when selecting.
    Good work, Ed

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

They all look really good. I think Ed's advice is very good. My favorites are 100617 and 199607. If 617 has superior plant habits that's the one I'd go with.
    Val

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments! I knew the first seedling was a keeper the first year when it grew to 7 fans. Now it is has over 20 fans, while the rest have only 3 or 4 fans. I'll wait until next year to check bud counts and scape height...and then probably cull the rest when I need the space. Hope y'all have a great weekend -
    Kathy

• shive
    11 years ago

They are all very nice! I think the last one is my favorite. Number 3 would have been my favorite, except for the information about the short scape.

How did those red seedlings out of Insider Trading and Hearts of Fire do this past season? They made a memorable impression on me.

Debra

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, Everything here had a lower than normal bud count, the seedlings included. I only kept two from the cross you remember. This one is my favorite. It is only 2 fans, but it was moved last year. Hopefully, next year it will increase.
    100522 INSIDER TRADING X HEARTS OF FIRE

Kathy

• shive
    11 years ago

Kathy - That is one gorgeous red seedling! Bud counts were lower here too last season.

Debra

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz