Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

part 3: the very late greats....my top 10

celeste/NH
9 years ago

In the second week of September the very lates are the stars amongst the brown scapes. These have been going since early August and will continue on for another couple of weeks as the grand finale in the garden. I am so glad I incorporated a good selection of the late-bloomers into my gardens because there would be very little to look at now. In zone 4, rebloom is a rare and unpredictable event so I rely on these lates to end the season with a bang.
The daylilies starting with VT ( it stands for Vermont) are unregistered and can be obtained from Olallie Daylilies in Vermont.

I was asked to share my favorites so I am listing them in order of personal preference.

Celeste

(VT) THE LAST MELON
It is nearly a tie between this one and VT Sophie because they are both equally productive, are hardy, healthy, have amazing bud counts and loads of scapes, open well in cool weather, multiply well and bloom reliably for many weeks into the very late season. I just prefer the color of this one just a teensy bit more but in all other aspects they are my number one pick.

(VT) SOPHIE

AUGUST FLAME
An oldie but goodie, it is hardy, healthy, prolific and blooms for a very long time.... and the color is a knockout in the late garden.

(VT) AUTUMN FIRES
Long and prolific bloom, brilliant color, hardiness, bud count...this one has everything going for it. I had posted a clump picture in a previous post.

WINDY PLACE
This one wins the award for LONGEST BLOOMER in my garden.
It was one of the first to start blooming on July 7 and had it's last bloom on September 8th. It sends up instant rebloom scapes so there was never a lull in the activity. It is a Solaris farms intro.

PINHILL CLARET SYMPHONY
Awesome color, strong scapes, reliable bloom, reliably late.

WALK IN THE CLOUDS
technically this is considered a late, not very-late, but here it is still blooming in the second week of September with a handful of buds left. Blooms have great substance, scapes are sturdy, color is rare for a late. Will be hard to obtain this one.

SEPTEMBER BLAZE
Many scapes and well-budded, a sturdy plant in all aspects.

(VT) BETSY
Another gem from Olallie, this one has lovely color and great bud count and is reliably very late. It's only downfall is that the rather thin scapes lean from the weight of the multiple blooms, but I can live with that.

PUMPKIN TIME
This one is a BUD-BUILDER so it just keeps on going even when you think it's down to it's last bud. And the color is very bright and really shines.

SO THESE ARE MY TOP TEN FAVORITES AMONG THE VERY-LATE BLOOMERS. I will do another post showing the other very lates which are also blooming right now, which I enjoy too.
Thanks for looking.

Comments (9)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks , Celeste, for posting your favorite late bloomers, my request. They are all lovely and I will be adding several of these to my garden in the spring. My favorites are Windy Place and Autumn Fires! Its sad that we will have to wait till spring to see fresh blooms!

Sherry

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Those are some impressive looking clump shots, how great to have great blooming lates, & they all are pretty. I like the color on The Last Melon better than VT Sophie, but boy, look at that shot you got of Sophie, that is an impressive amount of bloom. At this time of the year, I could have the ugliest daylily there is & if it had that amount of bloom, I would be excited. But Sophie is pretty, what a bonus. August Flame looks great, I like the look of it, & VT Autumn Fire is so pretty. I've mentioned many times, I don't care for orange, but apparently I like it in daylilies, & the louder the orange the better I like it. Love the color on PINHILL CLARET SYMPHONY. You really don't see many lates like Walk in the Clouds, nice color & really nice round shape. VT Betsy, just look at those buds. Can you tell I'm deprived of my flowers :) The only one I've got blooming right now is Lemon Crinkles. It might still be blooming next week, it started blooming June 27, & has been in constant bloom since then. It isn't a very big clump, 4 fans, so I haven't had a lot of bloom at a time. I think it will be a nice daylily here when it gets bigger if it continues like this. It has been one of my latest blooming daylilies each year I've had it.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Thanks Celeste! I can't even pick a favorite they are are all so nice!
    Brad

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Nice to have late bloom. My favorite is August Fire which I absolutely love. No surprise, I'm sure, given the color.

I have only a couple blooming now, and have spent the last few days doing some very overdue cleaning of my little greenhouse. I( feel somewhat self righteous to have it clean, overlooking my lazyness in letting it get so bad.

kay

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

August Flame seems to have great bud count. I'm surprised that these all open so well, since you must have some fairly cool nights at this time of the year.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Celeste your daylilies have ground into beauties. Those are gorgeous glad you showed them. Now to find a place for a small very late garden.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are welcome Sherry! I will be posting more pictures of other very-lates that are blooming in my garden. It certainly IS sad to have to wait til next year (July for me) for more daylily beauty....lately I have been bringing a few blooms inside and setting them in water to enjoy closeup because I have greater appreciation for what I'll be missing.
    It's funny that I never thought to do that when the gardens were popping with daylily blooms.

Nancy, you are right....Sophie does have an incredible number of scapes and buds....that is only part of the plant in the photo and it is only ONE plant just on it's third year here. The Last Melon is equally prolific, I guess I didn't get an accurate photo to showcase it. I planted these two side by side and what a show they put on.

Mantis, I am also amazed that none of these very lates have issues with opening in the cold weather. We definitely do get chilly nights now. The other night it was in the low 40's/high 30's and when I went out that morning everything had opened perfectly.

THANK YOU Brad, Kay and Patty!

Celeste

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Celeste,I have scrolled up and down looking at each photo trying to pick a favorite out of all of them and its just about impossible as I love every one of them, they are all gorgeous,and even more so,since mine are finished and I have nothing left to look at here, I love your PINHILL CLARET SYMPHONY and I am also taken with WALK IN THE CLOUDS, too. so many beauties to see.Thank you for posting these. I save them in my favorites so I can go back later and look at them again, without hunting all over to find them again. Thank you,

oh by the way, I forgot, How is your mother doing now? and how are you holding up under all the strain.I know its a big strain, as I took care of my husband for 10 years, after he had a massive stroke and could do nothing for him self no more, then took care of my mom, too for several years, so I know first hand, its not easy, but, you hang in there,and escape to your gardens when ever you can.

jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANKS so much JEAN, for always looking and commenting. I enjoy posting because I know you are always appreciative. Thank you for asking about my mother.
    My mom just turned 91 yrs. old and is in late-stage Alzheimer's now. She cannot walk, has swallowing issues and I have to spoon-feed her pureed foods and is both bladder & bowel incontinent. Blind in both eyes too. But she is healthy otherwise but does sleep alot. It is going on 6 1/2 yrs. now that she has been here with me as her caregiver. I have a lot on my plate because I also have the 5 grandbabies (all boys) to look after while the parents work. One grandbaby (just 2 months old) lives with us so I am never without someone to take care of! Pretty soon the garden will have to be put to rest for the long winter and I will be like a caged lion inside the house all the time. LOL. I won't be able to escape to the gardens to have some peace anymore!
    You have my admiration for taking care of your husband and then your Mom because I know full well how much it entails.

Celeste