6. JITTERBUG BLUES

7. HEAVEN'S DECLARING

8. BLUE EYED BANDIT

9. BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY

tie for #10

1. BOBBY MARTIN

2. ROYAL PASSION

{{gwi:661493}}

What are your favorite blue-eyed cultivars. To see more of mine, go to my Blues album on Photobucket:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blues album

Comments (38)

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

Wonderful daylilies. Your photos are absolutely wonderful, joyous,beautiful and many more adjectives that I should be albe to think of but I'm having a brain freeze! You have posted so many great ones this year and I have greatly enjoyed them. Thanks to you for being so nice to share all your great plants and fantastic photos. Blessings to you and yours, Mona

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Oh, they are beautiful.

I won't have any blue eyes until maybe next year when my first LA seedlings bloom. Hope for anything nearly as lovely as these.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Debra,

All of those are to die for! I am so jealous. I have not been brave enough to try any really blue eyes as the few that I have tried even with the purple tend to end up as just a dark eye for me. Just not warm enough here I think.

But I will be more than happy to drool over your lovlies, and hope that others add more pics!

Julie

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I have been thinking lately that I don't have any daylilies that have blue eyes. Well, I have Prairie Blue Eyes, but I don't really call it blue eyed. I think I need to add a couple.

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

Those are really SUPER PRETTY blue eyed CVs Debra. Cerulean Warbler looks fabulous!! Also love Texas Blue Eyes and Palace Garden Beauty. Anyway.....here are 10 of my favorites.

1. VICTORIAN GARDEN'S OH HAPPY DAY
    {{gwi:655913}}

2. PURPLE MAZE
    {{gwi:663779}}

3. MISSISSIPPI BLUES

4. AURORA BLUE'S

5. LEDGEWOOD'S CALICO BLUES

6. IN CAHOOTS
    {{gwi:648846}}

7. BLUE EYES GLANCE
    {{gwi:649903}}

8. SUDDENLY BLUE
    {{gwi:670721}}

9. FANTASY EYES
    {{gwi:646800}}

1. BIT OF BLUE
  • organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Those are all beautiful and many thank for posting them. If you didn't post, we wouldn't find any new ones we just had to have. I think I will eventually have to have Cerulean Warbler. What a beauty!

kay

• juliet11
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting all these gorgeous blue eyes! Of the photos I think Ledgewood's Calico Blues looks the bluest. Is that true in real life?

Juliet

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

Juliet, The pic of Ledgewood's Calico Blues is true to the actual color. It's an amazing daylily, and it's also a diploid. I hope someone does a tet conversion of that one in the near future.

Linda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Cerulean Warbler is already on my list and now I'll add Victorian Gardens OHD. Very pretty

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Debra, you have a really nice collection of Blue eyed daylilies. Don't know what if any I have myself. I will have to look and see but I couldn't have much because nothing comes to mind.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

opnjmprs, you have Victorian Gardens Oh Happy Day!!! Rita just turned me onto the Brooker dls a few days ago & found a new hybridizer I love! Love to see the pic on 1 of my future plants!

You guys make me feel better for buying so many blues! I was starting to wonder how many one could have. I am a sucker for them.

I am starting to scare myself because I'm am really liking Purple Maze. Never been much for orange, slowly but surely I'm converting.

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. I personally think you can never have too many blue eyes. I think I have round 30 now.

Linda - I really love the photos of Mississippi Blues and In Cahoots! I have Blue Eyes Glance too, and really like that one. It would probably be my #11 favorite.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anybody else have blue eyes?

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

I do, I do...

Blue Elf

{{gwi:650021}}

Barn Owl

Baby Blue Eyes

Navy Blues

Mask and Metaphor
    {{gwi:647244}}

Honky Tonk Blues
    {{gwi:647607}}

Moments Rich in Blessing
    {{gwi:668197}}

Dr. Julius Charba
    {{gwi:655981}}

Carpenter Seedling

Little Blue Bell
    {{gwi:652063}}

Neusa Gergemann (kinda grey-blue)
    {{gwi:655989}}

Yankee Doodle Blues
    {{gwi:673515}}

Jenny Butterfield

Out of The Blue

Star Child

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I just love this thread! There is not 1 on here I wouldn't buy in a heartbeat. Let us never let it disappear into the thread heaven.

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle,
    I knew you had lots of them and had probably just missed the thread. Was Blue Elf your bluest eye? It looks the most true blue to me. I think my favorites of yours are Moments Rich In Blessings and Little Blue Bell. My Navy Blues and Mask And Metaphor didn't bloom this year. I'm not sure it they are in too much shade or just recuperating from last year's drought. Since you posted more than 10, I decided to post my next 10 favorites.

1. BLUE EYES GLANCE

2. INQUIRE WITHIN

3. KARELIA

4. JENNY BUTTERFIELD

5. EYES A BLUE

6. REDEFINED DESIGN

7. NEPTUNE'S LEGACY
      {{gwi:698655}}

8. CHASING SHADOWS
      {{gwi:650839}}

9. ASHWOOD BLUE HIGHWAY

10. DELTA BLUES

Debra

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Debra - OPPS! Was is supposed to be 10?? :o)

I'd say Blue Elf was the most intense blue... Little Blue Bell is right up there too. My guess is that as those two settle in, and begin a normal bloom cycle, I will get bluer blooms. Texas is really warm, and I am certian that these two get bluer with cool weather - so probably would do fantastic in more moderate weather.

I have been on vacation, so kind of neglected my daylily postings/readings. :o) Margaritas do that to a girl.

I just love seeing all your blues. I was determined to get Heaven Declaring (as you know), so when it came up on Lily Auction, I went to war for it. Someone tried to hoard BOTH auctions. Grr... but I got one! I also picked up Thais (which I have been lusting after for over a year), and Silver Sprite.

I love your Susie Tee and Blue Eyed Bandit. Well.... I love them all... can't resist those blues! In fact, I bought seed from Blue Jean Baby x Asian Fairy Bluebird - can't wait to see what THAT produces!!

I would love to trade some blues - if you are up for trading. Sure would save us both some $$, since we seem to lust for the same ones!

Linda - I have also been working myself up to Mississippi Blues - Wowee is she a pretty girl. VGOHD sure is a looker too. How do these do for you??

I wasn't sure if these were really blue eyes... but close:

Sea Siren
    {{gwi:670866}}

Honky Tonk Blues

Pixie Plaything
    {{gwi:663803}}

Create Your Dream
    {{gwi:650755}}

Hi Ho Silver
    {{gwi:647603}}

Eagle Nest

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle -Let's talk next spring about doing some trades. I can always squeeze in another blue-eyed one somewhere. LOL I've also been lusting after your Lucid Moment. It sounds like you got some nice wins on the Lily Auction. I grow and love all three of those.

Debra

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

Michelle, Mississippi Blues is one of my favorites. The eyezone has the blue in it, and is one of the most intricate eyezones I've seen. It just blows me away every time it blooms. However....I haven't been able to set pods on it (starts pods and aborts them) and the pollen hasn't produced anything either. I intend to keep it anyway, because I love the way it looks. VG Oh Happy Day has been an absolute delight. There are days when I swear that it looks to be the bluest eyed DL in the garden, and the green in the edge sets it off. Scapes were on the short side this year, but very pod fertile.

Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looking back on this, I see I left GINNY MITCHELL out of my Top 20 blues eyes. I didn't put her in because the eye is very faint in hot temps. But she's a great rebloomer with a terrific gold edge.

1. GINNY MITCHELL
      {{gwi:649622}}

2. DESTINED TO SEE
      {{gwi:785934}}

3. SAPPHIRE LADY

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    1. BLUE JAY WAY

2. METAPHYSICAL MOMENT

3. BLUE CORN MOON

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I'm am so glad you brought this post back up. I just spent the last 10 mins just scrolling up & down looking at them over & over again. I still just absolutely love them!

I just put together an excel sheet of all my dls so far & I am very surprised I only have about 10 because it felt like that was all I was buying. I say about because I'd like to see them in person instead of a pic. I do have 3 posted on here that I am extremely excited about & pretty much all of them will go on a list to buy for spring.

• mareas
    15 years ago

Thank you VERY much Debra, and Michelle, for posting all this eye candy. I'm with lala in hoping this thread never disappears!
    marea

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

Here are couple more of my blue eyed favorites....actually I love all the blue eyed DLs.

TEXAS BLUE EYES
    {{gwi:662171}}

CIRCLE UPON CIRCLE
    {{gwi:650704}}

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love that eye on TEXAS BLUE EYES. It's so large and round! Here are some more of my "blue" eyes. Some only look blue in certain temperatures.

DUST BE DIAMONDS

THAIS

DOUGLAS LYCETT

ARMED AND DANGEROUS

FREUDIAN SLIP

Debra

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

I am so bummed... I lost my Royal Passion!!! And, I had just gotten it! Dang!

I FINALLY layed my hands on Thais, so I can't wait for it to bloom! And... if I didn't tell you this already, I also got some fans of Heaven's Declaring!! Yippee!!!

Here are a few more:

Changing Latitudes
    {{gwi:682536}}

Missouri Morning Melody
    {{gwi:668194}}

West Coast Blues
    {{gwi:663285}}

Siloam Tiny Tim
    {{gwi:655993}}

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Make that 4 for me now with these last sets of pics!!!

I'd be darn right excited about Heavens Declaring too! I'd be giving out more of a screamin' WOOHOO!

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Just thought I'd bump this up... since I **DO** so love blue eyes and this thread.

***FINALLY*** won Susie Tee on the LA! Yippee!!!

lalaandwi - It was a big "YEE HAW" from Texas! OK, not really since I am originally from Califorina - it was more like a tip toe dance and jump with a little "I can't believe it" thrown in! :o)

Debra - seriously, we have to stop buyin' the same daylilies!! I got Blue Corn Moon at the Shooter's this spring! LOL. Or maybe it is me coveting your garden! :o)~ GRIN

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I'm always more impressed with a poised tip toe dance, it wreaks of a lot more composure & class than screaming! LOL! Your last picture of HD is remarkable! The shot was not a close up & that blue eye was shining! My bud Tobin (where are you?), has a couple of fans & can't wait to see them in person.

PS I know where he is, but can't understand why he isn't on GW...I talk to him regularly & keep mentioning what is being posted here. He has hundreds of seedlings that will hopefully bloom this year & share with us. My personal opinion is that he is trying to control his crazies...LOL!

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great thread, but I miss the ones I lost over the winter. Goodbye Ginny Mitchell and Ashwood Blue Highway.

Debra

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Debra, you are breaking my heart! This is like the 5th thread I have read you mentioning losing dls. I read in 1 thread that you lost them because they were potted? I'm going to start a new thread on this...

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lala - The blue-eyed ones were in pots, and so were about 150 seedlings that croaked. But I didn't lose everything in pots. About 80 daylilies (registerd and seedlings survived) I also lost about half of what I had in the new raised bed I made last spring. I guess one end didn't drain well. Plus I nearly lost more than 10 evergreens planted in the ground. They eventually emerged, but are tiny fans that will take at least a year to rebound. It got colder earlier than usual, was a very wet winter, and then we had a couple of late freezes. But I still have more than I have room to plant, so it's not really a problem.

Debra

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

I keep looking at this darned thread! I realized that I got Mississippi Blues at the Regional Sales table!

Debra, I am so bummed for you. I know the blues are your faves, like me. ;o( I don't have Ginny Mitchell or Ashwood Blue Highway... or I would put them in our trade box!

I am still lusting after VICTORIAN GARDEN'S OH HAPPY DAY, BLUE EYED BANDIT, and CERULEAN WARBLER

Wanting Chasing Shadows, and have DOUGLAS LYCETT comming this fall...

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle - Cerulean Warbler is a fast increaser. I may be able to help you out on that one and Chasing Shadows.

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Wow, I love this thread, this is like the 20th time I have went back to it.

Debra - I was wondering since this thread is older, and a few years, back if your top 20 has changed since this thread? Or is there another recent thread on fav. blue eyes that maybe I missed? I have to say that I've had the daylily crazies this year and went from 24 (in the spring to now 156) which is apt to change if bonuses are sent with the 3 new orders I placed in the last 48 hours.

And mostly I order what everyone's favorites are, since I value everyone's opinions on here greatly.

Rena'

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena' - Cerulean Warbler turned out NOT to be a good long-term performer for me. I've had it four years, and it only blooms every other year. This was on "on" year, but I'm frustrated by those years when it doesn't bloom at all,

Texas Blue Eyes, on the other hand, has improved every year, and this summer was one of my Top 10 performers. It and Jitterbug Blues were my best performing blue eyes this year, with Heaven's Declaring being #3. Ada May Musick and Blue Eyed Bandit are always good bloomers, so they would be #4 and 5. Neither gets enough sun anymore to rebloom. But, if planted in full sun, both would indeed rebloom.

Susie Tee, Bobby Martin and Ginny Mitchell died somewhere along the way. All three of those were being grown in pots.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

On the other hand, as I had supposed, I had to get Cerulean Warbler, and it has been "on" every year here in my zone 8 garden.

But I have very few of Debra's beauties, and I was drooling through all odf the pictures without realizing they were from 2008. Beautiful!
    kay

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Debra every other year would make me unhappy as well. It is something to read of the different results of Cerulean Warbler for you and Kay.

My orders have been piling up and I'm way behind on planting.

But I have added the following "blue eyes"

Cerulean Warbler
    Cosmic Odyssey
    Hidden Rainbow
    Heaven's Declaring
    Magnificent Rainbow
    Mildred Mitchell
    Mississippi Blues
    Mystical Rainbow
    Purple Maze
    Rainbow Candy
    Stenciled Impressions
    Screen Pattern

And trying to acquire a few more on my 'really want' list.
    Hopefully I will have lots of blooms to photograph next year. My favorite according to the pics I've seen would be Heaven's Declaring. I've been revamping my gardens to make room.

Rena'