Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floota

It's Fall!

floota
11 years ago

My latest blog was just put up and is called"It's Fall, You All!"

Link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Fall, You All!

Comments (8)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Okay, I'll bite...."why do you cut your foliage back?"

Julia

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is answered in a post added tonight on "daylilies I've admired."

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylilies I've admired...

• nat4b
    11 years ago

I was also curious about cutting the foliage. I see now. Have you cut it before? I might try on some, cut the leaves and fertilize now, and see what it will do :)
    Beautiful admired daylilies and I like Geaux Tigers most of all, in both versions. What's geaux? :)

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Geaux is pronounced "Go" . Joe (hybridizer) lives just outside Baton Rouge, home of LSU Tigers, right in the middle of Cajun country ( hence the French) He's a big LSU fan. So, "Go Tigers!" Some of the Louisiana hybridizers use French and/or Cajun expressions in their titles of daylily names.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Thanks, I would never guess! because I read it as goh as in eau. And have no idea about that sport team. Nice name :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I've heard of gardeners cutting their foliage back but I have a question. If foliage is cut back, won't that make the daylily want to regrow? I'm wondering how that affects the following season growth since in cold climates we would want daylilies to settle in for winter rather than try to use energy to regrow foliage or send up new fans only to be zapped by frost and look like mush.

Just curious. No expert here.

Julia

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia,
    I used to cut back foliage every year but haven't done it for about 4-5 years. I can't speak for how this would work in other climates. Jim and Margo (who live nearby) cut their foliage back each year in the late fall. This helps with disease and insect control and they also mulch in the late fall -winter. I'm cutting back a little later than usual. We're only about 2 weeks away from normal frost date. Foliage will probably grow some but freezes will stop the dormants. So,I'm only about half finished and will keep at it. Another bonus is that spring cleanup is much easier.
    Some people advocate against this - so to each his or her own!

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

floota - I love your blog! I've looked at it many times & even bookmarked it, very pretty & interesting!

I believe next trip to New Orleans will have a pit stop! :-O

I'm new at this and wasn't aware (fully) that he was in LA, although I do remember seeing that cultivar before(probably in your blog then as well) and thinking hum... I gotta find out where in LA that hybridizer lives. But I really believed he probably was born in LA but lived some place else. But I forgot and never did. However I am going to do a search and see just how many daylily places there might be here.

My Mom is coming in from Wyoming in a week, I know she'll be up for a road trip.

Rena'

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA