Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

4 out of 15 spring planted day lilies actually bloomed

nancita
9 years ago

Hi all,
I had some landscaping done in May including 15 day lilies along the driveway. I have no idea what the varieties are or when they bloom. All I do know is that two shorter lilies bloomed for a couple of days in early summer. The other two just finished blooming and were spectacular!
Guessing next year they will bloom better but wondering if this is normal? And, once they bloom, is that it until next season. Finally, once they do bloom, what to do with the stalk? (Sorry I don't remember the correct name).
Thank you in advance. I appreciate any help and advice from the expert gardeners out there. I have fertilized weekly with a water soluble organic fertilizer and put in a drip irrigation.
Thank you again.
Zone 6a for me.

Comments (4)

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Some varieties do not bloom the first year, especially if they gave you immature plants. There are some that it takes 3 years to really get going. The number that bloomed for you seems awfully low. Can you call them to see what they put in?
    As for the stalk [scape], just cut them down.
    Daylilies don't like too much fertilizer. That can cause leaf growth as opposed to scapes & flowering. Your once a week fertilizing could have cause less plants to bloom.Fertilize once in the spring about a month or so before bloom season and some people do a "go to sleep" one in the fall.
    Brad

• Ed
    9 years ago

Daylilies will bloom when they are mature. If conditions are good, they will continue to bloom (rebloom) until conditions trigger their dormancy period. So, by providing regular moisture and feeding, you should get excellent bloom that will increase each year.
    Daylilies are heavy feeders and giving them any organic fertilizer on a regular basis is good. To get maximum bloom, eliminate any seed pods that form and after the scape finishes, cut it off below the foliage for appearance sake. They make good compost, btw.
    I do recommend a heavy feeding in spring when growth first starts, with a fertilizer selected for your soil, but in general a ratio of 4-1-2. Sounds like you're doing great. Ed

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Seems like you received some conflicting info here. I am not an expert but have had daylilies in my gardens for over 20 years. Here is what I do. I water during dry spells, for me that has been the most important. I seldom fertilize, maybe once per season. I trim off the scapes when flowering is done. If I have time i will pull off any dried, brown leaves at the bottom of the plants for appearance sake. My daylilies always look good and flower nicely!

Sherry

• nancita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to thank everyone for taking the time and giving personal day lily care and maintenance suggestions. At this stage of the season, I have stopped fertilizing and am only watering when necessary, about every other day. I figured new plants might require more TLC the first year?
    Now onto other forums to inquire about my knockout roses and butterfly bush!
    Thank you all.