Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Are there any true pinks?

gardenfanatic2003
17 years ago

All the daylilies I've seen that were described as pink were actually peach, salmon, coral, or rosy. When planted next to flowers that are true pink, they clash. Are there any daylilies that are truly pink?

Deanna

Comments (31)

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

If you have a billion dollers there is Princess Diana.

• maine_lily
    17 years ago

Hi
    If you don'thave a million I think Barbara Mitchell is a pretty true pink in my maine garden and very showey annnnnd inexpensive too!!! I guess i dont have lots of pinks EdBrown and Eternity road I am not sure of
    Bev

• simplton
    17 years ago

True pinks are rare if you are looking at cultivars introduced more than 15 years ago. Some can be pink in some gardens, but rarely. The newer ones are more specifically labeled in color and there are many true pinks. I have Princess Diana reserved for spring and I am sure it will pay for itself within a year or two. Try going to Charlotte's Daylily Diary and checking the top hybridizers for true pinks.

• sophies
    17 years ago

I have always had the same problem with "pink" daylilies actually being peachy until this year. I bought Southern Wind, Chartered Course, Nancy Billingslea, White Noise, and Shores of Time on the LA. I also bought Belle Cook from Ledgewood Gardens. All of them are truly beautiful and truly pink. No peachiness at all. I am so delighted.

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Some other older cultivars that bloom very pink for me are PREPPY PINK, SEMINOLE WIND, BEST KEPT SECRET, SUPERFICIAL SIGHS, PINK COTTON CANDY, GOSSAMER PARASOL, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, PARTY PINAFORE and BANNED IN BOSTON.

• humbleone
    17 years ago

I was just checking Frank Smith's site and he has his 2007 intros posted and Princess Diana is listed for $150. Thought someone might be interested.

Carol

• maine_lily
    17 years ago

I would feel really bad if i were to lose a 150 dollar daylily-I have never paid that for one and probably would not sleep at night maybe hire a garden bodyguard -it is beautiful-had many expensive bonus' sent to me though and would feel really bad if they didn;t make it!!!!!Am i in the minority or what???

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

From my own garden experience two that are true pink would be a 30 year old beauty named Anne McNutt and a slightly younger one called Pink Souffle. If you can find them they should be relatively cheap. Here's a picture of them:

Anne McNutt

Pink Souffle

Absolutely no hint of peachiness in them in my garden. Jolyene Nicole also was very pink in my garden although I've heard others say it was peachier for them.

Squirrellypete

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

When I asked this question a couple of years ago I think the daylily 'Ribbons And Things' came up as the truest "new" variety of pink. As for older and more affordable pinks 'Yesterday Memories' was suggested. It is not the rose pink color some of us (me included) wanted, but it is pink and if not contrasted with rose pink it certainly doesn't look like salmon pink or peachy pink in my garden.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

'Catherine Woodbery' was a pale true pink in my garden - very delicate and elegant. 'Heart of Jade' was a medium true pink for me, too - VERY nice. (A couple "rose/pinks" that were NOT rose or pink for me were 'Totally Southern,' 'Mateus,' and 'Tijuana' - they were all shades of peachy/rosy/reddish blends. To be fair, the rebloom on TS was pinker than its initial bloom, but still not "true pink" to my eyes.)

Laurel

• shive
    17 years ago

I have several inexpensive older daylilies that are true pinks.

Dips: Classic Delight, Requited Love, Adrienne's Surprise and Attic Antique.

Tets: Proud Mary, Seminole Wind, Lyrical Presence, Desiree, Sierra Grande, and Ricter.

Newer more expensive daylilies I have that are true pink are Chartered Course, Shores of Time and Symphony of Praise.

Shive

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

These are pink for me,,,Dot

Sierra Grande

Elegant Candy
    {{gwi:647355}}

Erin Pink
    {{gwi:970100}}

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Is this a color that they are just not trying for when crossing or is pink very hard to get?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

As I understand it, the background color of the daylily flower is often yellow, so a pink overlay on that will produce peachy tones. You need a background color of as close to white as possible with a pink overlay to produce a really pink flower. I think the hard part is the background--getting it white enough. That is why whites are usually called "near whites", because there is that underlying yellow.

Is that right?

• sharons2
    16 years ago

I love the picture of 'Pink Souffle', but Dave's garden says it and 'Anne McNutt' both are only hardy to Zone 5a. Would you recommend them for the cold zones like I have? How accurate are Dave's Gardens zones?

I grow 'Jolyene Nichole', and she's listed in the hardy evergreen poll as hardy in zone 3, but she doesn't bloom too abundantly for me. I was thinking she was listed as hardy to zone 4a at Dave's, but looking again, it looks like they list her as hardy to zone 5a as well.

Thanks,
    Sharon

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

bump

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Can Sophies (or anyone else) compare Belle Cook with Shores of Time for me? I just got Shores of Time.

My Classic Delight just bloomed for the first time last week. It does not clash with the other pinks and lavenders in my front bed.

Trade-Last just bloomed, too; and though it is beautiful, it will have to join Jolyene Nichole (which I also love) in a different side bed - where they can look nicely pink together, instead of clashing with everything else.

Sharon

• uroboros5
    15 years ago

HUSH LITTLE BABY is my most beautiful pink. BECKY LYNN is also a lovely pink.

• sophies
    15 years ago

Both very beautiful and hardy daylilies. Belle cook is a lighter pink.

Belle Cook

Shores of Time

• dobie1029
    15 years ago

OH I absolutely love your shores of time. I gotta get me one too!

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Ahhhh! Thanks, Sophies. That helps a lot. Belle Cook has neater ruffling, too; but I hadn't picked up on the difference in color shades. Yes, they both look very nice.

Pink Camelot and Chance Encounter just bloomed yesterday. They don't clash with the other pinks and lavenders in my front bed either, do they can stay just where they are.

Would Coming Up Roses clash with other pinks? I saw it in a daylily display garden, and it was just about the prettiest pink I've ever seen; so I got it to try, too. But I haven't had the chance to actually compare.

Thanks,
    Sharon

• sophies
    15 years ago

Nancy Billingslea is another lovely large pink that is very hardy in Massachusetts {{gwi:662728}}

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

I love pinks, but Nancy Billingslea is new to me and she is gorgeous! thank all of you for posting.
    kay

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

I would also add to the list PINK ALOHA, and PINK LEMONADE PARTY.

Linda

PINK LEMONADE PARTY

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Barbara Mitchell was mentioned above but there is nothing like a picture to show it off. Bluegrass Strawberry Taffy, and for a double try Pink Peppermint. If you don't have a million dollars to spend on Princiess Diana you might consider buying some seeds from a cross with her. They are pretty common on the LA. Mine should bloom next year so we'll see how well she passes her color on with the crosses I chose.

{{gwi:663759}}

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Hmmmm. Well...Barbara Mitchell is considerably more Peach than pink in my garden. And considerably more Peach than your picture shows, as well. She blooms well, though. (Maybe it's my alkaline soil?)

Sharon

• sophies
    15 years ago

Barbara Mitchell was peachy in my garden also, and I have acidy soil.

• njmomma
    15 years ago

So glad I ordered Seminole Wind! Great thread.

• sharons2
    14 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing Neal Berrey and Absolute Treasure bloom in my yard for the first time this year. I'm pretty sure they are both supposed to be true pinks.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Becky Lynn and (hopefully) Sweetheart Pink bloom this year, too; but I am not as sure about them being true pinks.

Sharon

• Ed
    14 years ago

The truest, most consistent pink I have seen is Salter's 'South Sea Serenade'. Check photos at Tinker's. It is a little rusty and harder than average to grow well, but big, pretty and clear pink.

For comparison, I grow 'Princess Diana', 'Seminole Wind', 'Belle Cook', 'Spode', 'Uptown Girl', 'Aunt Lauree', 'Ed Brown', 'Silver Ice' and probably others I don't think of now. I won't even include 'Gary Colby' and 'Steve Martin' in the pinks! Btw, 'Cherry Valentine' is a very pink with red eye. Very clear colors with very little yellow in background. A little rusty but vigorous.
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's database home page

• laurelin
    14 years ago

I'd suggest 'Cherry Cheeks,' 'Border Crossing,' 'Catherine Woodbery,' and 'Green Eyed Pat.'

Laurel