Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

My last daylily order this year (fingers crossed)

sherryocala
12 years ago

So many factors and mental gyrations go into my buying decisions. To tet or not to tet, fragrant or no fragrance, evergreen or semi-evergreen. I decided to go all evergreen, to get as much fragrance as I could but not reject any just because they don't smell, to go for as many big bud counts as I could find, and to get a few dips that fit the previous criteria. The perfect list consisted of nineteen cultivars, but even at half price I can't do that kind of number. So I painfully got the list down to twelve. These aren't the "high-priced spread", but they're beautiful. They're mostly $5 and a few $7.50.

So I'm cheap. What can I say?

Here's the almost perfect list from Shaw's Sunshine Gardens.

AMERICAN ORIGINAL

BOLD ENCOUNTER

CARIBBEAN PERFECTION PLUS

COLORADO BLUES

CRYSTAL SEA

INHERITED WEALTH (the exception to my rebloom-only criteria)

MARIETTA DREAMER

PUCCINI

RETURN TO PARADISE

SEWING CIRCLE

STARFISH MOON

TREMOR

The ones that didn't make the cut:

BEYOND RICHES

BYZANTINE BEAUTY

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

ELEMENT OF SURPRISE

MAL

NIGHT EMBERS

WEB OF INTRIGUE

Next spring somebody please remind me of this list. I really, really wanted all of them.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (11)

• dementieva
    12 years ago

You know, I haven't even been looking at fragrance when I've picked out DLs. This year by chance I got a couple listed as very fragrant, so I'll have to see if it's actually noticeable.

Nate

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I can never smell any scent even if a daylily is supposed to be fragrant so I just ignore such information. I am sure you will enjoy all your new daylilies when they bloom next year!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

It isn't about having the newest or the most expensive ones so no need to feel "cheap". I'd rather have 10 that grow and bloom, than 10 that barely stay alive and give me 5 buds and ugly openings.

You got alot of planting to do so have fun. Wish we could still plant here as I've seen more I'd like to add. The addiction is getting out of hand again. LOL.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I got a bloom from Paul Owens that had a wonderful fragrance. I don't usually check for fragrance though. You will have a lot of pretty new blooms next year, Sherry.
    kay

• mizellie
    12 years ago

I never look at fragrance either but I bought one a couple of years ago from Stamile that scents the whole are. That's Mountain Wildflower. Ummmm, smells so good! Ellie

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I have two also that are fragrant and I didn't know, so it was a lovely surprise. Glad you were able to get some nice ones and have some new blooms to look forward to! :)

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's true, Julia. It's less about cheap and more about getting as many as I can! I'm assuming my addiction will ease up soon. Ha!

I had never smelled a lily until this year at Lowe's. YUM! What a great fragrance. Then one day I was walking through the garden and whammo! There was that smell. I think it was SPLENDID TOUCH by Stamile. After that I smelled all the DLs and started trying to buy fragrant ones. My rose garden has very little fragrance and certainly no 'wafting' because of the heat and having lightly scented or non-scented roses. You have to stick your nose in deep to get the scent usually. So I figured I could get some wafting from the daylilies.

And yes, I have a lot of planting to do and transplanting, but I have all winter to do it. I've been trapped inside all summer so I'm eager to get out.

I'll let you know how they look when they arrive - maybe next week.

Sherry

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Well,I don't think you being cheap, you getting what you can afford to have some blooms.I have a couple in my gardens that I only paid 2 dollars for and they bloom too.

Jean

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You made me smile, Jean.

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Sherry,

You can't have everything! You have some beautiful roses, and some beautiful daylilies. I think it was Ed who said if you have a daylily and it is a NOID but it is a lovely bloom, you have a daylily with a lovely bloom. South Seas is a favorite of mine and it is an inexpensive one.

Being able to buy a few of the expensive ones is the (only) good side effect of being older than dirt!

kay

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

For several years I bought quantity also. Of course they are all beautiful. I wanted as many as I could get and planted all of these in my garden beds to be enjoyed. Several of my favorites are older ones:
    Mister Lucky is my best breeder for reds and pretty
    Alabama Jubilee is at the top of my oranges
    Evening Enchantment is a fantastic purple
    Steve Trimmer is a great yellow with eye and edge

So, I guess I would have more old than new at the top of my favorite list. I still can't buy the newest and I still want them, but money rules. I do have several that just a few years old. OH yes, thanks to Bill Maryott I have 2 of the 2011 but they were wonderful gifts.

You will get to a point where you will buy a few newer ones to so many older ones. That point comes when you run out of room or get so darned many you can't take care of them. It was the latter for me. I made a hard decision that I could not just keep getting. I must part with some. It's kinda like your children leaving home. (Well almost, children leaving home can be a good thing!!)

Enjoy each and every one. They are all lovely.

Blessings to all, Mona