Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant?

Posted by kss1956 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 6:12

When is the latest I can plant daylillies? The nursery I shop at tells me now is the perfect time to plant Rhodadendrons.

Thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant?

Karen, I'm in zone 5 and we're having quite a bit of frost ... it's too late for me to plant right now.

Any plant you put in now needs time to get established (it's root system) before a killing frost. Do you have that time?

o
RE: Too late to plant?

Hi Karen!

I'm in zone 6 and I would not plant Rhododendron at this time of year, they tend to take fall planting badly due to their wide evergreen leaves. They have a lot of surface area to be dried out both by wind and winter sun exposure. I spent 13 years in the nursery business and when we had to guarentee a planting we would do for Rhododendron or azalea they only were planted in spring. If a customer insisited on fall planting we did it only with the understanding that they would not be warranted if they died or had severe winter damage.That's how much we hated fall planting of those type of plants.

As to dayliles it's a matter of opinion. I would not plant anything bareroot from the southern growers this late in the year. I would however plant potted daylilies if I got them locally and really cheap. That way I wouldn't be out much if I lost them.

Good Luck,

Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here