Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

All Forum Friends in Storm's Area, Check-in if You Can

organic_kitten
11 years ago

We are really wanting to hear from everyone, although power is out in such a widespread fashion, I'm sure it will be a while.

I hope everyone came through with just the inconvenience.

kay

Comments (48)

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Well, we just had a lot of wind here, just a few branches down. I had secured everything,took flags down and brought what few pots still in the garden into the garage. Bowie was safe in the garden room with his new cat door that he finally figured out. I never lost power which was surprising, but the school district I work in had no power, so I had the day off. Really not a good thing seeing how I had tons of things to get done at work today, oh well, at least everyone is safe. WE missed the snow here too, just lucky I guess. Several inches of rain, with more to come. Hope those closer to the shore line and near the expected heavy snow are well.
    Cindy

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So glad everything worked out as well as it did, Cindy. It looked as if some areas are terribly damaged.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Glad everything is ok with you,CINDY and not buried under that snow, too.That storm has covered a lot of ground, huge one.Glad Bowie has figured out the cat door, too.

Jean

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I sure hope we hear from Rita soon. I'm hoping that she just lost power for a little while & can't get online just yet but is ok. We got through with just widespread power outages and lots of downed trees and limbs. There is never any risk of flooding for me as I'm up high on the mountain but the wind was ferocious. It sounded like a freight train going through all those enormous trees around me. Right at the height of the storm, as I was taking Mom to the toilet, my cell phone fell out of my pocket and into the toilet. We don't have a house phone so I was alone with Mom & little grandson with no way to call for help if needed...hubby & Tiffany were at work.
    Fortunately nothing bad happened except for a ruined cell phone.
    I hope we hear from more of our forum friends who were in the path of this horrible storm. I feel a little guilty that I got through so easily when so many others were devastated.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste, I am very happy to hear from you. I had no idea what part of the state you lived in, and I'm glad everything (except the cell phone) is okay. Hopefully Julia and rita will respond soon. CTC is rarely on the forum these days, so probably isn't checking in anyway. Take care.
    kay

• bourret
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone. Power returned at 9:44am this morning. Hopefully, Rita will check in soon.

Lisa

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Glad you are ok,LISA and have power back now. hope we hear from Rita, soon.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So glad you are okay, Lisa. I know it must be nie to hve power again. Hopefully Rita and Julia will be able to check in soon.
    kay

• nat4b
    11 years ago

What a bad storm. Scary.
    Hope everybody is ok and the power will be restored quickly.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Sorry to have missed this post but I did post on the other thread a few days ago. Haven't gotten back on in a few days.

This was one unusual storm. We had very high winds (higher than normal for us here) hitting us from the north most of the time with rain pelting the front of our house. Sounded like someone was throwing pebbles at the front door while the roar of the wind made us wonder if the front door would blow in. Checked our roof to be sure we didn't lose any shingles but everything is okay. My husband would never let me plant any trees within 50 feet of the house. Smart guy as we've seen neighbors pine trees uprooted from the wind and rain. Biggest blessing is we never lost power which is always a big issue for us here in the rural area.

We've had rain everyday and its cold. Hopefully this weekend we will see the sun again but not before we are suppose to get some rain/snow showers tomorrow.

I have family members in New Jersey and NYC and two of them in NJ are without power but safe. They both have generators but gas is getting to be a problem. My daughter lives in NYC and she is safe as well as my son in Virginia. As long as we know they are all safe, the rest will take care of itself in time. I think we all will have much to give thanks for this coming Thanksgiving.

Take care everyone.
    Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So glad to hear you are okay, Julia. It was a monstrous storm, and affected so many. Glad your family is okay.

Just waiting to hear from Rita now.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I've been away for a while and was at my mother's in Maryland when Sandy hit. Lots of rain there, but no damage and the power stayed on the whole time. I did have to change my flight home and return two days later because I was supposed to fly out on Tuesday. DH was home and lost power for about 12 hours. There are branches down here, but no damage. Hope Rita is okay and can check in soon. I know Long Island got hit pretty hard.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Val,

I'm glad you had no more problems than that. Some of our power crews from Alabama were in Maryland helping out. We had fabulous help from others when the tornado decimated the area in 2011, and it is such a help for everyone who loses power in disasters since the job is enormous. I know there were crews from all over heading to new England (Santa Fe and Florida were the most distant I heard.)

Maybe Rita will get power soon. She said she wasn't worried about flooding, but I remember some trees being lost and heer view improving, so she might have been a bit more open to winds. Hopefully it is a power issue only.
    kay

• shive
    11 years ago

It may be awhile before we hear from Rita. Ninety percent is still without power, and the Long Island Power Authority says it expects power will be restored to most there by NEXT weekend.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, with all of the damage on Long Island, you are probably right. I don't know if there are many of the perceived "high priority" sites there or not, but it surely will be a relief when we finally do hear from rita, won't it?
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I do know that several Robin members who live on LI are starting to get their power back on and getting their houses in order. I'm sure when she can she will post.

I had this vision of Rita muttering to herself trying to get the last of those bulbs planted. :-).

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Rita is probably planting bulbs as fast as she can to get them all in the ground before this next storm gets there that the weather channel is saying will be there middle of next week with more rain, wind,and colder temps.I hope she is ok,too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Hey, I am BACK!!! Lost Power Monday and just got it back at 7;30 this evening. As soon as I turned on the lights I powered up the computer.

Boy it is no fun to sit in the dark for a week. No where to go either as no power arround and no power to traffic lights so roads are a mess. I had plenty of food and no problems here at my house. The storm was just some wind that really wasn't so bad. But Long Island, just Nassau and Suffolk which is our power company Lipa, had more than one million customers without power. They really have been working as fast as they can. And my county, Nassau County apparently had twice as many outtages as any other counties to contend with.

There are townships that they say will not get power for another ten days and then there are the flooded areas were there is not even a guess as to when there might be power again.

I will write more later but just wanted to check in.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

YAY! I'm so happy to hear from you Rita! So many of your forum friends have been worried about you. I'm glad you got your power back but what a LONG week that must have been for you. How did you pass the time? We lost power here for nearly a week after a huge ice storm a few years back and we nearly froze to death in the middle of winter so I sympathize with you. But it is great to hear that you sustained no major damage to your home, yard or yourself. This is lovely news to hear as we all were praying for you.
    Celeste

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

YEAJean

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome back, Rita. Most everybody has been on pins and needles waiting for you to post a message letting us know that you are okay and no damage to your property. It's really a big relief when someone in the storm path checks in to say they are okay. Unfortunately, there is another storm brewing and should come in the middle of next week, and I am hoping all of you won't lose power when that happens. Stay prepared and stay safe. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, and Wednesday would not be bad if there weren't already storm damage that has not been cleaned up yet. I feel bad for the power companies. I have been watching the local news 12 Long Islands news since my power came back and what a mess. Some pictures of the damage look like a war zone. I know some people are fed up with the lack of power. But here in Nassau county (my county) alone there were over 1 million customers wuthout power. Not people, many more than one million people, just 1 million outtages. So I feel they did as best as they could in a bad situation.

No fun being without power for a week but what can you do.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Glad to hear from all the people affected by this storm. All the hard work you have put in planting bulbs Rita, I so hope they are fine with all this water in the soil. The main thing though are the people. Welcome back all of you and stay safe....Maryl

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hooray Rita!
    I am so glad you are back. Obviously I was worried about you, although I knew you would have supplies on hand, but the damage was so horrific, and the water caused unimaginable losses, so it is wonderful that you are fine.

Having seen your pictures, it did seem you might be high enough to avoid the water, but so many people lost homes, and lives. Not only your local power companies, but people from companies as far away as Parts of California and Florida and all points closer sent crews to help...almost a thousand people from my local area went, and all of the crews brought their trucks and equipment and were in place to go to work as soon as the storm was over.

Crews from your area came here when we had horrific tornado damage, so it is always a win win for areas where need is enormous.

I was reading that the area of damage would have qualified as the 20th largest country in the world if it had been a country, so you know how enormous that is. Stay safe and catch up on all you missed. So happy to have you back, safe.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I cleaned out my refridgerator and the fridge freezer this morning so had a lot of gargage to throw out. Still need to do the downstairs freezer which I never even opened durung the power outtage. I am sure I still will have stuff to thow out.

I am always so glad I have a gas stove so no matter what at least I can cook and heat up water.

The drainage here is excellent so no problems with over waterlogged soil and being on high ground is a blessing. My garden has no damage. MY bulbs are still not done as last week was entirely rainey. More bad weather expected here my Wednesday so these bulbs really are going to be taking a long tume. I have never had to plant bulbs in November before like I stull have to do now. But it WILL get done.

They say on the news that Sandy us/was a storm of historic proportions for us here in the Northest. So I really have nothing to complain about.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Rita:Glad to see you back and you've weathered the storm okay.

My family in NJ just got their power back on late last night. Maybe now all the gas stations in NJ will be able to power back up and get that gas moving again. And hopefully all the folks who are now without a home in the tri-state area will find enough hotel rooms/ shelter to stay warm and safe.

Julia

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm so glad everyone is ok, & power is starting back up for at least some of you. Like everyone else, I've been watching TV coverage about the storm. It is really rather amazing that more people weren't killed, it looks so horrific.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Lots of people here did not listen to the mandatory evacuation orders saying they stayed put during Irene and it was ok and overhyped. Well, this time it was not ok and people truely, truely should have gotten out. The combo of hight moon tides and wind and storm surge all came together in a very bad and nasty way for flooding. And high flooding at that.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

It is good to hear from you. Glad you have a gas stove, that was probably very helpful. I can't even begin to imagine how you got through that week.
    Cindy

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Rita, so,glad you're back and had no damage from the storm. Everyone has been so concerned about you and any others who were in the hardest hit areas.
    Hope the nor'easter misses everyone this week. Doesn't seem fair that another storm is coming.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, I just heard the forcast for Wednesday and Thursday. A Northeaster on it's way. Lots of rain and wind gusts up to 60 MPH expected along Long Island. This is not what we need here.

• shive
    11 years ago

Rita - We're so glad to hear from you! I know being without power for a week is no fun - I've done it several times here after bad storms, tornadoes and floods. Having a gas stove sure was a blessing.

Debra

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Happy to see you back Rita-I've been watching for you!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I am really glad to have power back. Now I just need to hope power does not go back out on Wednesday what with the coming Northeaster!

• User
    11 years ago

So very glad you are safe and connected again, Rita!
    Ann

• berrytea4me
    11 years ago

Rita, so very glad to read you are safe and have power again. I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile but stopped in just to check on you after the storm. Glad you didn't suffer damage to your home or gardens.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for thinkung of me. Hopefully the power will stay on for the Northeaster storm we are expecting Wednesday and Thursday. But if you don't all heard from me, you will know its the power again. At least it is nice out today for election day.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I just got back from my errands. First off I went to vote. Now the polling place at the local Elementary School is only around the corner and two blocks up from me and since I have my power I figgured all around the neighborhood here did also. Not true. The school did not have power so they are on a generator so they could have voting.

Then I went to the supermarket because all traffic lights that I saw in town worked so I figgured the section with the stores had power. I asked a store employee and she said they got back power sunday night so about the same time as I did.

Still, there were lots of empty cases. No milk or milk products or cheeeze. No frozen products. Limited fresh meat selection. Limited deli. They did have bread so at least I bought that and they had eggs so I got some. Got a tote thing of apples as I ate up the ones I had before and I got clementines. Both of those things will not got bad if we loose power again. And a cake. I eat up the cake before it goes stale. I did not buy any meat to restock the freezer as I am going to wait just in case more power problems.

I heard a guy talking to another customer and they said they had to throw out all those sorts of stuff. Me I bought mayonase and tarter sauce as I had to thow mine (opened) away. Stuff like that. Lots of bread. I could always make toast the old fashioned way.

Talked to two ladies that were customers about local outtages. One lady told me she couldn't believe what the town of OLD BROOKLVILLLE looked like, it is very closeby. No power expected to come back there for ten days and yet parts of Glen Head, right next door, never lost power. Going out today really showed me things are not soon going back to normal, even in my immediate area.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I just got back from my errands. First off I went to vote. Now the polling place at the local Elementary School is only around the corner and two blocks up from me and since I have my power I figgured all around the neighborhood here did also. Not true. The school did not have power so they are on a generator so they could have voting.

Then I went to the supermarket because all traffic lights that I saw in town worked so I figgured the section with the stores had power. I asked a store employee and she said they got back power sunday night so about the same time as I did.

Still, there were lots of empty cases. No milk or milk products or cheeeze. No frozen products. Limited fresh meat selection. Limited deli. They did have bread so at least I bought that and they had eggs so I got some. Got a tote thing of apples as I ate up the ones I had before and I got clementines. Both of those things will not got bad if we loose power again. And a cake. I eat up the cake before it goes stale. I did not buy any meat to restock the freezer as I am going to wait just in case more power problems.

I heard a guy talking to another customer and they said they had to throw out all those sorts of stuff. Me I bought mayonase and tarter sauce as I had to thow mine (opened) away. Stuff like that. Lots of bread. I could always make toast the old fashioned way.

Talked to two ladies that were customers about local outtages. One lady told me she couldn't believe what the town of OLD BROOKLVILLLE looked like, it is very closeby. No power expected to come back there for ten days and yet parts of Glen Head, right next door, never lost power. Going out today really showed me things are not soon going back to normal, even in my immediate area.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita,
    It seems as if Sandy is going to be one of the most expensive storms in history. Katrina will probably still be the most expensive, but the damage from Sandy is mind-boggling. No doubt it will be a long road back to normal and this new storm is no help. Hopefully you will not lose power again.

kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

GOSH RITA:I do hope you dont lose power again with this new storm thats on the way..Still so many people are without power yet..and New Jersey was bad hit too, not only did they lose power but a lot of folks lost their home also....Stay safe Rita.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Same in NY. Lots of homes totally gone from the hurricane. What a mess, those poor people.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

So glad to know you are safe, Rita!

Nancy

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Glad to hear everyone made it through the storm even if you had no power. I no what that is like when I lost power for two weeks when we had Hurricane Charlie come through Central FL area in 2004.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

No power is no fun but simply an incovenience for me with no storm damage at my house. Many in our area were not so lucky.

I watched a special on what they are calling Superstorm Sandy on Weather Channel last night and I saw day by day pictures as it was covered on TV and that I had missed due to my power outtages.

Long Island still today has massive power outtages that don't look to be fixed anytime really soon. Now Athenea is upon us and even new 12 is calling it Athenea. I am rather puzzled by the naming of a northeaster. I didn't realize they ever got names. Anyway, 60 MPH wind gusts, 4 foot storm surge tides, rain snow mix, heavy rains, cold weather and MORE (new ones) power outtages expected.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Naming storms is a bright idea the weather channel had. (It has not been recognized by the National Weather Service so far, and probably won't be.)

It is similar to the weather channel coming up with it's own nomenclature for the liklihood of a tornado occurring in an area...I think they call the units torcons, but I'm unsure of their spelling. Athena was the name they (WC) discussed using for the first non hurricane type storm, so I guess they've done it. I'm not surprised local channels picked up on it since it is easy to refer to storms by name.

kay

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Rita, glad to hear you got your power back, and it's good you have gas stove! So sad to read that there are still people without power, even without homes :( And shortages in stores. And it's cold too.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Rita, just wondering if you had any problem with the nor'easter on Wednesday and Thursday. We had lots of wind and rain, but no real problems. Did you get any of the snow? There was some not far from here.
    Val

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio