Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Can I Still Divide & Transplant in Zone 7?

suel41452
16 years ago

Hi, Fellow Daylily Fans! (no pun intended!)

I need to divide a lot of huge Stella D'oros and a few other daylilies. Some are evergreen some aren't. We are forecast to have a mild fall & winter in SW VA this year. The Accuweather long-range 15 day forecast shows highs in 60's and a few lows in mid 30's. On day 15 a high of 41 and a low of 31. Is it too late to attempt these divisions/transplants? Thanx for any input!

Comments (14)

• okbt
    16 years ago

I would wait until Spring.I think that people in zones 7&8 have said they are done for the year.

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

I'm so new I didn't want to be the only response, but I'm done for the year. I've been told several times that a daylily needs six weeks before freezing weather to establish. Our 15 day forcast calls for a low of 31 in the second week of November. Stella will be going dormant soon anyway. I think best wait until spring.

• highjack
    16 years ago

It is not a question of when it frosts or freezes tempwise but when does your ground freeze to a depth and remain frozen. If my ground actually freezes, it usually isn't until January. To me, it would depend on just how important or necessary it is to divide and transplant now. If it was only for asthetics, I would wait until spring but if it is unpreventable, do it now. Watch for freeze/thaw caused frost heave and tamp the plants back into the ground when it occurs. Mulching heavily around the plants after moving will help keep the soil temp higher and once cold, keep the soil cold.

Now wasn't that clear as mud.

Brooke

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

As a Zone 7-er, I will say that I have planted daylilies as late as mid-Nov and not lost anything. It all depends. Mulch, mulch, mulch.

I will confess that I still have daylilies to plant out...and I intend to do so....they will be mulched well. Did I mention mulch??! (Just kidding)

Brooke always gives good advice. Hey, Brooke, really enjoyed your DH's digital presentation at Lilyhemmer!

• idaf
    16 years ago

I'm with Brooke here. We prayed for rain for so long and we got it! Not necessarily when we asked for it, but it did come and as a result, we have lost a week of planting time. Not complaining, Lord! But we are left with hundreds of fans of Munsons that will be planted as soon as the ground dries up enough. I know from past experience, that it is safe to plant here all the way up to Thanksgiving in most years. This is a field we're talking about and will not be mulched, but the soil will be pulled in over the roots well enough to prevent heaving. Hopefully losses will be at a minimum. Ida

• highjack
    16 years ago

Hey gg - I understand a new camera is in your future. Hope you enjoyed the photography thingee and learned something useful. We expect GREAT pics next year.

There is an old saying (and no, I'm not quite old enough to have said it first, but close:>) if the ground is workable, it is plantable. I don't test it because I hate working in the really cool weather nor do I like working in the really hot weather! It has to be just right!

Brooke

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I'm a bit farther south than most of you on this thread, zone 8 in south central AL. I have planted in Dec. here and always plant through Nov. with no problems. Of course we don't have the freeze thaw situations that would cause dl's to heave here. Last year, I won a dl on the LA in Dec. It was one my daughter really wanted. The seller had to ship immediately. I got, it in late Dec. planted it in the ground and had tons of bloom on it last season. That's the latest I've ever planted a dl here.
    Like Ida, we've just had a much needed week of rainy weather, so I'm behind in my digging, dividing, and lining out, but will continue it as soon as the ground is dry enough to dig, even if I'm still at it in Dec.
    Jan

• suel41452
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanx for all the good advice everyone! I'm confident the ground won't freeze here till Jan.
    I've decided to divide the Stellas now & mulch them well. I have SO many Stellas from previous dividing and who knows what life might throw at me by spring?? And anyway I'm planning to sell/give them away now I that I know what fabulous daylilies are available these days & I have limited space. But I hate to throw any plant away!!! The few other daylilies I care about I'll divide in spring. Sue

• okbt
    16 years ago

All right you guys,I'm gonna do it too.I usually plant my spring bulbs areund Thanksgiving,so hopefully all will go well for the daylilies.Thanks,I think - LOL!

Betsy

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

Oh no, the pressure....(hehe, just kidding, Brooke)! Well, no new camera...yet. And, yes, I will actually read the manual (this time)! Funny, DH thought that was all terrific and worth it...but, I didn't hear him saying (likewise), "You need that $200 daylily!"

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Betsy, keep in mind that you are zone 4, not zone 7. I'm not sure if I were you that I'd be necessarily dividing up there if I didn't need to. Keep in mind that Sue will stay warmer longer than you will.

Janet

• shive
    16 years ago

In Zone 7, I would say dormants could safely be planted in late October and early November. I definitely would not attempt planting evergreens this late. In the past, I've lost some very expensive evergreens that I planted in October. Also, it's hard to predict the weather any more. We've had so many extremes this year already. And, I can remember several years when the ground here has frozen in early Novemeber.

Betsy - I don't think I would plant this late in your zone. You would take a big risk of killing your daylilies.

Debra

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

Sounds like you've gotten plenty of advice already but I'll add mine anyway. I agree with most everyone else, I'm zone 7b in East/central AL. My local daylily guru that I buy from says it's usually safe to divide/plant through Nov. 1 but that he's planted even later than that. Like everyone said, it's about the ground freezing which usually doesn't happen here for another month or two. You should be fine. I'm picking up my last order for the year from him next week so I'll probably stop digging & dividing my older ones once I get these new ones planted and call it a year.

Sincerely, Danielle

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

Oh good! More experienced people cleared things up. I'm very glad to know all this, too. Thanks!