Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds on plant and frost on way

Posted by ohiovalleygardener 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 11:47

I have a plant I paid a dollar for during the summer at Lowes. Destined to see. It was in rough shape but looks great now. It has a beautiful scape with 11 buds on it. They are forcasting frost for Sun. night with temps in the mid to upper 30s. Will covering it save it or will the cold temps do it in? So want to see the blooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds on plant and frost on way

worth a try

o

Unfortunately if your going to have frost, then the buds will be toast. You can cut the stem and put it in a vase of water inside. If the buds are mature enough, they will open. I've done this before when threat of frost was predicted.
I just cut about 10 scapes with buds today and brought them into our mudroom where it is warmer. We too are having predictions of frost Sunday night. Seems we are in for a real big cool down this weekend. I also just cut off a scape with seed pod on it to let it mature inside.

The choice is yours as to what you want to do.

Julia

o

I would so want to see the bloom too! I would cover it each night to protect it and then uncover it in the morning. I have a new scape on a new plant also, Cosmic Odyssey. You better believe if frost threatens I'm gonna cover it up. :-)

Post a pic. of the blooms when they open!

Rena'

o

It's that time of year, isn't it? Several minis are covered with scapes and they're calling for frost later this week. Oh well! I knew their days were numbered anyway.

o

One of the scapes I cut yesterday was blooming this morning. I believe this is UP MILL CREEK.

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here