Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Freeze warning,still planting spring bulbs and chat

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

We are expected to have a possible freeze tonight as temps by morning may reach 25 degrees F. I actually think we won't be affected but our entire area is under the warning from the weather service. Maybe a frost but we shall see.

Very windy and cold here.

I'm almost done with all the bulb planting. I did order some from Tulip World and I have to say, I wasn't disappointed with any of the bulbs. Added it to my Lowes buying spree and I got overloaded with planting. I would definitely buy from Tulip World again. Great bulbs, excellent customer service and shipped promptly. Was missing one order of daffs but they shipped that quickly.

I received 2 peonies from Gilbert Wild and they are excellent bare roots with plenty of eyes. However, I ordered 4 from Scheepers (they arrived the same day as Wild's) but very disappointed in the quality and packaging so they are going back. So with this hiccup, I've gone back to Wild and ordered additional ones from them. Hopefully they send another set of excellent bare root peonies. I know these may not bloom for a couple of years but at least I've started the growing process. I also got my order of Siberian Iris and they are in the ground near where I planted the peonies. Fingers crossed they make it through the winter.

My 2 seed pods finally ripened. The two crosses I did had 13 and 14 seeds in each pod. Both of the crosses have SPRING MYSTIQUE as the pollen parent. I do have to mention that SM is very pollen fertile. I haven't tried to set pod on it yet but next season I will. Seeds have been air dried and they are now tucked into the veggie draw along with some from last year. My daylilies look terrific with all the rain we've had. None of the dormants have died back fully yet but perhaps tomorrow will bring some of them to a close.

Have a great weekend.

Julia

Comments (11)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

It sounds as if you have everything under control, Julia. My bulbs won't be here for a while yet, and I have a fair amount of weeding and reworking beds to do yet, so that is good.

We came very close to a light frost early this week, but the warm up came quickly, and it is supposed to be mid 80s the next few days.

Always work to do. Good that you have everything under control in your cooler climate.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, you are planting bulbs, too.Dont sound l ike you are into it like RITa is.Bet them Peonies will be pretty next spring.24degrees,huh. wow thats cold.weather channel here said new York waould get a freeze this weekend.I hate cold weather, but, also hate really hot weather, too.I like it in between. more in the 70's.it got up in the 80's here today, and I went out and got some more weeds out.

jean

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I've read rave reviews on Gilbert Wilds peonies. I have 3 peonies, planted them 5 years ago before I was told that they wouldn't live here in the deep south. Well they don't look anything like the ones up north but they hold there own. These were little twigs bought at Wally World. They are tough because all 3 that I bought lived. And I planted them in plain clay dirt. Now when I plant it is in soil that was previously dirt before I amended it.

I was thinking of buying one from Gilbert Wilds and planting it in good soil and seeing how it might do.
    Yours will be stunning Julia.

We've not had a frost yet and it is still warm here.
    I haven't even begun to plant my bulbs as I'm still planting daylilies and iris. I figure I've got a little more time on the bulbs. But this was odd I was planting today and almost dug into one of my paperwhites & it has a sprout coming up already. Still way to early for those.

Have a nice weekend Julia!

Rena'

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only 40 more muscari to put in and I'll be done but will have to wait till later today to do it. Too cold outside (20's) to plant. My hands will freeze LOL.

I've been waiting for the lilies foliage to die back so I could replant some in the middle of the daylily beds. Maybe I'll just go ahead and cut some back and move them. I don't think the foliage at this point will provide any additional benefit to the bulbs.

You all are lucky to still have warm temps and time to continue planting in your gardens. I think this coming week will be it for me as far as planting (no daylilies though).

Julia

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

I was always curious abut the peonies from Wild, that is good to know. Perhaps I will try them. I have been busy planting bulbs too, we have only had a few slight frosts, nothing hard yet.
    cindy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy: I just got my second order of peonies from Wild and they are perfect. I was reading a book on Peonies and it said they are deer resistant. Something to do with phenyl compound in the flowers, stems and leaves. All planted today including all the bulbs I purchased from other sources. Back to weeding the gardens.
    Miss seeing you post on the forum. Hope all is well.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Well, good luck on your weeding. I am still in the process of major work, and my bulbs probably won't arrive for at least another couple of weeks...usually just about thanksgiving is when they get here.

I need at least 2 or 3 more full work days to get the garden in shape. It may take longer than that. I envy you having all your beautiful peonies...they are such gorgeous blooms. Can't wait to see your pics this spring.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

No freeze here but I have bulbs everywhere in stacks all over my living room that still need to be planted. I keep working on it but I bought so many!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well Rita, Yoou will have to take a break from planting in another day or so,with that storm coming your way.It sure is a monster storm. I heard on the weather chennel today that the south shore of long island will get 20 foot waves with this storm.I am glad you are on the north side.BE SAFE RITAjean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, I am very happy to be on the North Shore and on high ground. I don't have to worry about flooding. But this weather will cause a break in planting. Probably till the end of the week. And I have so many bulbs still left to do.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Even though I'd like to plant a few more bulbs, I'm done. No way am I going to be able to plant anymore this year. I still have alot of garden work to finish and it will be raining all week here so no gardening.

Julia