Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

4,144 bulbs

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I am sitting here with all my bulb order printouts updating my notes on what to plant where. So I just counted up what I ordered for this fall including the ones I already planted.

4,144 bulbs.

800 dutchgrown direct from holland (already planted)

72 Brecks (already planted)

187 American Meadows

825 Colorblends

660 Brent& Beckies

1,600 Van Engelen

I will have-

hyacinths

iris reticulata

crocus

dutch iris

daffodils

tulips

Yes, I am totally nuts!

Comments (15)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Two things come to mind when I see such a huge bulb order.

1. BOY! The difference in our soil must be radical. I have heavy clay soil that leads to rot on almost all bulbs (with some dafs varieties being the lone exception).

2. Whatever energy drink you are having, make mine a triple.

Seriously though Rita, it will look wonderful next year and all your hard work will have been worth it I'm sure. A question though: Here tulips only last one or two years (even in a raised bed) due to our climate. Do yours last more then a couple years up there?.......Maryl

• shive
    11 years ago

Yes, you are nuts :) Wish I had a 10th of your energy. The spring blooms at your place will be amazing.
    Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My soil is very good. After years and years of heavy mulching and adding compost the earthworms have done a great job. And it was never clay to begin with. It is not difficult soil to dig in.

I have always planted mostly Triumph or Darwin types of tulips. Some Single early and single lates, some Parrots, some vidiflora (green streaks) tulips.

Trrumphs never come back, vidiflora again never. Lates, parrots again rarely come back. Darwins come back pretty good the second year, poorly by the third year. I replant tulips constantly. This year I knew next year on year three the return would be very poor so I am replanting. Some of these tulips I bought are going to go in the same spots as ones planted on the fall of 2010. Just replanted on top in case any are left.

Lots of them are going in trenches of 100 or more but plenty will have to go in groupings if 5 bulbs or so. So that means, dig larger hole (with shovel) stick in bulbs and refill.

Then I also for the first time to me have gotten some types of tulips that are known for being perrenial like Greigii and Kaufmanniana Tulips.

But I still got plenty of the types that would last only the one year. I love tulips. But then my blub orders include plenty of daffs and crocus also.

I am going to be in lots of pain and sore and very tired by the time I am done. Trying not to think about it.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

It hurts to think about planting that many. Last year, the ground was like concrete due to drought...had to wet the ground before I could dig. As I remember, you had good rains, so that, alog with your good soil, will make it doable. Very very hard work, but the payoff will be a beautiful spring.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I have a friend that has had good luck with Greigii Tulips (variety Red Riding Hood) coming back for over 4 years even in our climate, so they should do well for you. They are short as I'm sure you are aware, and she has planted them around her mail box at the curb so they don't get lost in the shuffle...I just remembered I do have a perennial Tulip that's been here for years and years. It's one of the "Lady Tulips", Clusiana v. Cynthia. It's planted in less then ideal conditions under a Crape Myrtle, but every year it springs up regardless of root competition, weeds, and no fertilizer. It's a smaller flowered variety, but for those of us dealing with less then ideal conditions, we can at least say there is one tulip we can grow with no care....Maryl
    {{gwi:5427}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mostly, I don't like the species tulips although I did order TANGERINE BEAUTY and also humilis violacea. Then I ordered 400, 100 each of four varieties, of Greigii Tulips from the direct from Holland place. They had nicer newer varities than Scheepers did. Plus I have 25 more of a different one from Brent&Beckies. Then I also have 200 Showwinner Kaufmanniana tulips from the direct from holland place. These are a really lovely (from the pictures) looking red tulip. So at least I have a nice start of forever tulips. I want to see what I think of these when they bloom before I decide if I will get more.

Kay, If I had to plant in rock hard soil, I would not be ordering bulbs. At least the soil here is easy to dig in.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

The hands and fingers will probably be in pain, too by the time you get all them bulbs planted, but i am sure you will have forgotten all about the pain when you see your gardens next spring with all the beautiful blooms every where.Hope we will have tons of pictures to see of all the blooms.Do get some rest between plantings.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Rita: What is the name of the Direct from Holland vendor you talk about?.....Maryl

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Maryl - Just a guess, Bulbsdirect.

Well, did I get it right Rita?

Awesome Rita that you have so much gardening umph! It will be a spectacular sight when they bloom! I have a few hundred to plant as I dug all of mine up this summer after they ripened as they needed dividing. Unfortunately I got them all mixed up. So I will have to wait 'til next years blooms, dig them up again sort them AND LABEL them. lol

Rena'

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The place I got them from is www.dutchgrown.com but their website is down so I don't know what is going on. It was there a few days ago. There are a few of these direct from Holland places so I don't know how good most of the others are. But Bulbsdirect has a very bad rep. Don't buy from them. But my bulbs from this place were fabulous with great packacaging. The only thing is that were I bought, you have to buy in 100 bulb lots wuth a 400 bulb minium. No problem for me ha-ha.

By the time I am done, no way before that, I am not going to have any umph left LOL! I just wush the bulbs would hurry up and get here so I could start on them.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Well, the minimum order would be enough to stop me. Hate minimum orders..... Thanks for the answer.....Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Well, the minimum order would be enough to stop me. Hate minimum orders..... Thanks for the answer.....Maryl

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Try www.bloomingbulb.com for quantities of 10 or up. Most of their tulips are on sale now.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

WEll, I just had to respond to this!!! That will be stunning, I just want to know which type of hyacinths you planted. You can't beat a big display of spring bulbs.

cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cundy, I got mixed hyacinths from Colorblends. They seemed to have the best selection for what I wanted. Haven't had hyacinths in so, so, many years.