Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Lesson Learned - Preen

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

About a month ago I tore out several overgrown plants and had envisioned a new garden bed to be used for planting perennials (and yes, a couple of daylilies)and some bulbs. I cleaned the bed thoroughly, added in compost and garden soil, tilled it so the soil had a richness that would make any gardener proud of. Since the plants I was planning to put in it would not arrive for a month, I applied Preen to the bed to avoid any new weed seeds from thinking this was a new home for them. Big mistake.

I don't know why I didn't check the label before applying the Preen. Bad news. Several of the plants I wanted to put in that bed would have not survived. Why you ask? Well, I was told that the product contains a chemical which when in contact with roots can actually kill or slow down the plants growth and since the Preen was applied on top of the bed and would mix into the soil once I started planting in it, I should avoid planting in it till next year.

I also should note that clearly on the label (if I had taken the time to check) does give a list of plants and bulbs that you can use Preen with. Daylilies are on it but what I didn't do was wait till the plants were in the ground and the Preen would not touch the roots.

I can still use the bed next year but all that wonderful, rich soil will now have to wait till next year. Lesson learned.

Julia

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting